Dead Mans Fingers

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Found these in the woods in Chorley

DSC_06331.JPG

Nice Gary, you did well with these, looks like youve cracked the DOF and focal plane now, a little crit is they are a little close to the frame bottom and left, other than that good stuff, (y)

Thanks Dave I think I was over zealous on the crop. Hows this

DSC_06332.JPG

Last edited:
Cheers Ian

Nice shot , what is it?

Thanks Adam. Its a fungus called Xylaria polymorpha, Which means grows from wood in many forms.

Also theres dead ladies fingers fungi, which are slimmer and probably which these are, dead mans are thicker and clumpier, and usually have 3 or more fingers, ladies are usually singular as these are

Hiya Gary,

Great shot and yes Dave is right these do look more like Dead Ladies Fingers.

I think I brought this up last season when reading through an encyclopaedia on fungi .... Dead Man's Finger is as Dave said a lot clumpier and also resemble more of a 'hand', whilst the Dead Ladies Finger are thinner and lankier and as in your images tend to appear as singles.

Nice DOF in your shots and the colours are great too.

Good luck with the fungi forage .... it is great fun while the season lasts :D

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks Dawn for your comments. I can find references to Deadmans Fingers cant find any reference to ladies finger.

Thanks Dawn for your comments. I can find references to Deadmans Fingers cant find any reference to ladies finger.

Hiya Gary,

My apologies I should have given more details .... the single species you captured are botanically named Xylaria longipes or Dead Moll's Fingers which has shorter spores and is largely confined to dead sycamore wood in northern temperate zones.

I have managed to locate my previous thread to same from last year for interest http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=265737

However, on second view of your images I am thinking whether they aren't Dead Man's fingers because they have a courser texture :thinking:

Hopefully this could be an interesting fungi season and we can learn from each other about the different species that abound.

Cheers

Think only forensic could determine, difference really, as Edith from CNH society, would be able to tell you, after samples taken, lots of shrooms look simalar, think thats part of the excitement of finding them

Think only forensic could determine, difference really, as Edith from CNH society, would be able to tell you, after samples taken, lots of shrooms look simalar, think thats part of the excitement of finding them

Hiya Dave,

Too true .... the fungi world is an amazing one .... in which one needs spores to determine the inherent species. I think in time I may need to invest in a microscope so I can do some blotting/prints and further investigation.

I sometimes wonder if fungi don't evolve, like a virus, to survive :thinking:

Which leads me to the thought that some may mutate to mimic other species in order to gain dominance :eek:

Thank goodness they aren't 100 times their size otherwise we may have a case of a real life 'Ben 10' series at hand and may have to call on the "Ultimate's" to rescue us :eek:

:LOL:

Cheers

Fungi are fascinating Dawn, Im amazed by some of them that I manage to find, I suppose they do mutate, to survive, I found quite a few yesterday whilst out with John and Andy but none where really good specimens, except for lots of clumps of fairy bonnets, there were lots of boletes eaten and parched so its not quite damp enough yet, with the rain last night they mat well be lots out today,

Back