Deal or no deal.

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
The government seem to be getting involved in more and more deals with China, what with HS2 trains, Hinkley point power station and George Osborne's wheeler dealing recently. But with Chinese ecconomy (apparently) slowing down, is it a good time to get involved with Chinese ? Should the UK deal with a country with an appaling human rights record?

...... more deals with China, what with HS2 trains....,
I heard that on the radio earlier and found it a bit strange that the government ( Osborne) were asking them to bid for just shy of 12 billion ££
Especially as its not been agreed that it (HS2) will happen anyway.

Should the UK deal with a country with an appaling human rights record?
There's a train of thought that goes that trading with countries like China and supporting their economies, will lead to a growth of a middle class, who will be globally aware and will yearn for the freedoms and privileges we enjoy. Change will thus come about slowly, but (hopefully) peacefully... and won't be seen to be imposed by force/threat from the West.

Doesn't seem to have worked in Saudia Arabia though.

I think its more as the UK does not have the capital to sponsor these enormous projects themselves anymore

I heard that on the radio earlier and found it a bit strange that the government ( Osborne) were asking them to bid for just shy of 12 billion ££
Especially as its not been agreed that it (HS2) will happen anyway.

I accidentally heard this being discussed on the today programme this morning, it reminded how much I detest politicians and their flunkies being asked direct questions and blatantly avoiding any kind of meaningful response.

it reminded how much I detest politicians and their flunkies being asked direct questions and blatantly avoiding any kind of meaningful response.
I think they must go to some kind of finishing school to learn that trait ;)

Reactions: mex
I think they must go to some kind of finishing school to learn that trait ;)

If only that's where they really did finish!

I accidentally heard this being discussed on the today programme this morning, it reminded how much I detest politicians and their flunkies being asked direct questions and blatantly avoiding any kind of meaningful response.

These days I listen to r4 extra rather than r4 as I just find myself getting wound up by the spin and non answers :(
The entertainment bits without the news and politics :)

That's a very grey line! I wonder how many countries grew 'their' territories by abuse of human rights. War, diseases, 'new world' explorers, 'settlers'. All the glass houses in our societies must be broken :(
Yes: it's as good a time as any?
If you support an economy going down the gurgler that might give better social outcomes than totally ignoring problems.
YMMV... :)

Back