Dearer Petrol E5 to E10.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder how many owners of older cars..models from as early as 2000 are aware of this. All cars from 2010 will have to run on E10 unleaded petrol from next month as garages will be switching from E5 to the greener unleaded E10. E5 is Premium Unleaded..95 octane.. and E10 (97/98) is Super Unleaded. I can't recall the difference in price but I've always used the 95 Premium unleaded.I think it might be about 5p.

From the link.

MPs say its [E10] introduction on UK roads will cut transport carbon emissions by 750,000 tonnes per year – that’s equivalent to taking 350,000 cars off the road, or all the passenger vehicles registered in North Yorkshire.

However, experts have for years warned owners of older cars – especially classic models – that E10 petrol could impair their vehicles.
[Damage to seals,plastics and metals when used over a long period] Drivers of pre-2002 motors in particular have long been urged not to use the new petrol until they know it safe to do so – and that they may need to take additional measures to prevent E10 unleaded causing significant damage.

Is there just 'unleaded' petrol with a lower octane than the Premium 95 octane because I've read that the E5 will still be available but only in the Premium option..ie the 95 octane which I use. A bit confusing.
Figures from 2019 suggest that about 750,000 cars should not use E10. A guide,published by the government shows that some cars made by Vauxhall,Fiat and Alfa Romeo ,as late as 2010 will be unable to use E10.

I tend to run my JCW on "the good stuff" although it runs fine on normal (96 RON) fuel. I do notice that I get slightly better MPG when using 98/99 RON, and the exhaust does get a little more vocal on overrun. A week or so ago I had 0 miles left in the tank when I reached my local shell station, and filling up was just over £70. I get generally around 320-350 miles on a tank of 98/99, more if I'm doing a lot of motorway driving, a lot less if I'm having fun on the local B roads....

Chris did post aboutE10 already but it’s a valid point you’re making as the higher grade petrol is quite a bit more expensive
I run my motorbikes on the good stuff and I’ve had problems with my old Yamaha with the 5percent ethanol in E5 so definitely won’t be using E10 on my bikes

I was pointed towards Tesco 99 Ron which AFAIK will remain as E5....for higher octane than 95ron more costly but as Tesco not too shabby on price.

Problem is the Tesco petrol station is further away :LOL:

PS only used the Tesco as a test a couple of times and the car does seem a bit more lively when I need the loud pedal ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if Costco's will remain E5.

I was pointed towards Tesco 99 Ron which AFAIK will remain as E5....for higher octane than 95ron more costly but as Tesco not too shabby on price.

Problem is the Tesco petrol station is further away :LOL:

PS only used the Tesco as a test a couple of times and the car does seem a bit more lively when I need the loud pedal ;)

I've been using Tesco 99 for a long as I can remember!

E10 is 95 octane Premium. E5 will remain available as 97 octane Super fuel

So cars the can't run E10 will have to switch to the more expensive Super fuel rather than using cheaper Premium. Difference is somewhere in the region of 10p/litre

Chris did post aboutE10 already but it’s a valid point you’re making as the higher grade petrol is quite a bit more expensive
I run my motorbikes on the good stuff and I’ve had problems with my old Yamaha with the 5percent ethanol in E5 so definitely won’t be using E10 on my bikes

Sometimes I forget to look at something I've posted without an alert so I popped back on here for this one then saw Cobra had started a thread on it. :rolleyes:

I expect he'll read this..so apologies Mr C...

I expect he'll read this..so apologies Mr C...
No problem John it is slightly different from the one I posted.
If I merge the threads it'll look a mess, best left alone I think :)

Higher octane fuel should give more MPG, so the price difference may not be as significant as it first appears.

Our local Sainsbury's filling station had already switched to E10 when I called yesterday to put some petrol in my mum's 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara, so it got some Super unleaded E5 instead, as I wasn't sure if E10 would damage the engine/fuel system. As she doesn't do a big mileage this will probably be better for the car as it may be a while before it all gets used, so the higher octane Super unleaded may not go off as quickly.

Mr B, in theory, the lower % of ethanol in the higher grade fuel SHOULD be less hygroscopic than the E10 stuff so should be less likely to absorb too much water. The slight extra MPG that the better fuel gives helps offset the extra expense.

It is alleged that the new E10 fuel loses up to seven miles per gallon in fuel economy, while this may the exception it seems fairly conclusive that you can lose three or four miles per gallon.

One of many articles

If we are supposed to be saving the use of petrol by substituting ethanol but then we have to use more of the stuff to go the same distance, I'm really not sure of the point of it -- except of course that the more fuel you buy, the more the State gets in tax.

And it's not much good for your garden machinery either with their plastic petrol tanks.

Last edited:
What's really annoying is it's still taxed the same as well, the tax should just be on the 90% petrol.
I haven't noticed any reduction in economy with mine though, not doubting there is one but I haven't noticed.

It is alleged that the new E10 fuel loses up to seven miles per gallon in fuel economy, while this may the exception it seems fairly conclusive that you can lose three or four miles per gallon.

One of many articles

If we are supposed to be saving the use of petrol by substituting ethanol but then we have to use more of the stuff to go the same distance, I'm really not sure of the point of it -- except of course that the more fuel you buy, the more the State gets in tax.

And it's not much good for your garden machinery either with their plastic petrol tanks.

What's really annoying is it's still taxed the same as well, the tax should just be on the 90% petrol.
I haven't noticed any reduction in economy with mine though, not doubting there is one but I haven't noticed.

I regularly use Shell 98 RON or even Tesco's 99 RON fuel and notice that, although more expensive, I do get better fuel economy, although not by much. the higher octane fuel normally gets me around 325 miles per tank, regular fuel about 300. However, as the higher octane fuel also generates more pops & bangs through my exhaust :)love:) I can tend to be rather heavy footed, as I'm like a little kid at times, no it rarely works out that the economy is any better :banghead:

Curiously, back at the end of September I filled up my Karoq diesel with shell premium diesel fuel, then drove the first leg of a 2500 mile road trip round France. I got noticeably worse economy than I normally did with either cheap supermarket fuel or cheap French fuel. Probably 42mpg instead of 45-51mpg.

Nicely off topic, but this has been and gone now. :)

I've always put the highest grade available in the toys, whether the toy has been a car or a bike. Yes, the fuel's more expensive but things do seem to run better on it and give slightly better fuel economy to boot! The fact the the better fuel is also limited to 5% Ethanol rather than 10% is a bonus.

I filled up yesterday for the first time this year (I don't get out much). The last time I filled up it was forty quid - this time it was nearly sixty. o_O

I'm glad I don't have to drive for anything other than pleasure nowadays that's for sure . . .

I recently replaced my 2 litre petrol with a 1.7 diesel. Not green? Try comparing 54 mpg with 28 mpg. I've forgotten how to get to the fuel station! My wife's petrol Polo 1.2 does around 50 mpg so my Sportage even beats that! We always put "top" fuel in as we do low miles (not necessarily short trips).

I recently replaced my 2 litre petrol with a 1.7 diesel. Not green? Try comparing 54 mpg with 28 mpg. I've forgotten how to get to the fuel station! My wife's petrol Polo 1.2 does around 50 mpg so my Sportage even beats that! We always put "top" fuel in as we do low miles (not necessarily short trips).
Doesn't sound great from a 1.7 diesel I get around 60mpg from my 2.0 diesel Mondeo. The 2 litre petrol Mazda 3 will happily get 49mpg as well.

Luckily work gave us all a small payrise last week to cover increased fuel costs.

Doesn't sound great from a 1.7 diesel I get around 60mpg from my 2.0 diesel Mondeo. The 2 litre petrol Mazda 3 will happily get 49mpg as well.

Luckily work gave us all a small payrise last week to cover increased fuel costs.

The Sportage is a small SUV from memory.

My 2l Karoq averages around 44mpg on country roads, 50mpg on a run. Previously the mini did about 48 and 55mpg and the 1.6 pug 307 SW before that 55 to 70mpg if I tried.

Still glad I drive a diesel since we live in the country and I don't visit any cities in the car.

3.2L V6 hooligan machine here, 23 around town 30 on a long run if I'm lucky.
The tax costs almost twice as much as the insurance.
Do I care? no.
Its a toy...

And it runs on either E number, no allergies or side affects either :D

I think this recent 'anti diesel' thing is more to do with the type of emissions isn't rather than actual MPG & efficiency?

I think this recent 'anti diesel' thing is more to do with the type of emissions isn't rather than actual MPG & efficiency?

That's right. I'd see the diesel as entirely legitimate for country dwellers where congestion is not a problem and vehicle density low. If one lived in a town or city then that's different, and it's sensible to work to keep particulate levels down.

That's why we bought the Leaf - gets the emissions out of town. Very rarely use my Diesel to do a town flip and if I do, it's only because the lady opposite's carers have blocked the Leaf in.

261892591_227362972780443_1317770800062280419_n.jpg

Back