Critique Deep in thought

Not always possible I know but watch your backgrounds!:(
Have you tried this in BW?

Do you mean the stray suitcase or the garden furniture in general? Suitcase I'm definitely unhappy with.

Quite like the candidness of this shot Karl. Just zap the CA on the top of the hill.

Thanks - I'd completely forgotten lens correction too. This and CA now sorted. I'm attempting to upload this and the B&W but Flickr won't seem to verify the images for some reason. I'll post once sorted.

My eye is drawn instantly to the suitcase and garden furinture,not always possible to get the cleanest background when shooting candids,but just something to bear in mind if you want to improve!;)

Thanks again. I still feel like I have no idea what to look for so backgrounds are taking a back seat still. I'm not "spraying" in the hope of getting a shot but I'm still lacking that foresight to capture what I want - luckily, some nicer shots like above are coming out.

I'm not that bothered by the background. It all depends if the location is important or not. Remember, photographs should tell a story. Is this location important to this little girl... does it give the image context? It's out of focus enough to not be a major issue. This is clearly an available light snapshot, not a considered, managed portrait shoot, so the surroundings can give it context.

I'm not sure why B&W is being suggested. What will it add to the image? Why would it improve it?

Back