weekly Delta Skies 2014 TP52 - Week 51 Extravagant & Week 52 Support (that's 2014 done)

Shape, like it. Well composed and good colour, maybe a slight increase in saturation. I like the DOF and move soft shadows.

Overall lighting would be my only crit, I'd prefer the same overall lighting and it falls off slightly in the rear. Reflector, as you know, work have helped.

Cheers.

I can only echo what the others have said Peter, a clean image, i particularly like the matching colour tones (y)

Hi Peter

Like it....nice simple color palette , good placement of all the items , the slightest hint of shadows to ground all the items....works really well :clap:
Thanks Lynne

Shape - nice use of lighting, good composition and a lovely take on the theme.
Thanks Mandy
:agree: took the words out of my mouth, exactly what I was going to say. Good job with the background too Peter, I need some Daz my whites are usually grey :D
Cheers Adam

Hi peter, have to agree with Lynne, a lovely clean shot
Thanks Allan

Shape, like it. Well composed and good colour, maybe a slight increase in saturation. I like the DOF and move soft shadows.

Overall lighting would be my only crit, I'd prefer the same overall lighting and it falls off slightly in the rear. Reflector, as you know, work have helped.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. I see what you mean about the drop off. The apple has been eaten so I can't do a reshoot now :p

HI peter like it nice colours, your have positioned your props well nice dof
Thanks Craig

I can only echo what the others have said Peter, a clean image, i particularly like the matching colour tones (y)
Thanks Iain. The dumbbells are Sarah's although I had to dust them down as they aren't used very much at all. :exit: She had some other colours but they were bigger and I though the green ones matched the apple nicely.

Week 20 - Number

Old Number 7 by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Another two light set up. One on the background and one on the bottle. Getting ride of the reflections from the lights was done in camera after a lot of fiddling with positions and baffles which meant not much to PP in the end. Andy (@posiview) was my inspiration for this one as I know it's his favourite tipple :beer:That and the fact it's on offer in Morrisons at the moment.

Last edited:
Hi Peter

Shape - i do agree with all the comments made - a super clean bright image. Good choice of props too, with the colour match(y)
Number - very sharp and good impact with the bright contrasty colours. I think that I might have liked to see a touch more of the bottle. Looks like it is leaning to the right very slightly:thinking:

Hi Peter

Shape - i do agree with all the comments made - a super clean bright image. Good choice of props too, with the colour match(y)
Number - very sharp and good impact with the bright contrasty colours. I think that I might have liked to see a touch more of the bottle. Looks like it is leaning to the right very slightly:thinking:
Thanks Alan. Lean fixed (y). My original idea was to show even more - maybe even the whole bottle plus a glass but I'm keeping that to do for another day.

Week 20 - Number Andy (@posiview) was my inspiration for this one as I know it's his favourite tipple :beer:That and the fact it's on offer in Morrisons at the moment.

On offer :exit:

It's on theme and gorgeous bottle :)

Nice clean BG but the bottle looks a little washed out on my iPad, that is the blacks don't look black.

But it's jack to 10/10 from me...

Chests.

Hi Peter, really like the bottle pic as Andy says above the blacks look a little washed out, but perfectly placed
and you have resisted the urge to put some sort of slogan in the dead space which is something I hate :clap:

Super clean bg and lighting set up as usual peter. There's just a hint of whiskey on show with nice colour too.

:clap: Very good, works really well
Thanks Mark

On offer :exit:

It's on theme and gorgeous bottle :)

Nice clean BG but the bottle looks a little washed out on my iPad, that is the blacks don't look black.

But it's jack to 10/10 from me...

Chests.
Thanks Andy. It's funny I pulled the blacks back a bit as I felt they were too black if you know what I mean.

Hi Peter, really like the bottle pic as Andy says above the blacks look a little washed out, but perfectly placed
and you have resisted the urge to put some sort of slogan in the dead space which is something I hate :clap:
Thanks Allan. Obviously the space is there for JD to put their slogan in when they pay me for the image :D

Super clean bg and lighting set up as usual peter. There's just a hint of whiskey on show with nice colour too.
Thanks Adam

number - nicely on theme, very well lit, super sharp, my first thought was I for a bit more space on the left, and could agree about the blacks too.

Both personal preference, and both easy fixes if you wanted to make them. (y)

number - nicely on theme, very well lit, super sharp, my first thought was I for a bit more space on the left, and could agree about the blacks too.

Both personal preference, and both easy fixes if you wanted to make them. (y)
Thanks Graham. I actually agree with the comments regarding the black and also maybe a touch more space. As you said easily fixed. I'll do so later to create the final image if I ever use it elsewhere (camera club comp?). In the meantime I'm still on catch up. Hopefully I can do a bit more commenting tonight but in the meantime I need to post a new image........

Jack Daniel's .... does nothing for me.

HA HA ... been dying to say that as people kept telling me my piccies do nothing for them.

On the rocks please. :)

Like the beetle. Sharp and good "pose". Looks like he is thinking about diving of the end of the leaf!

Hi Peter

I pretty much agree with comments already made on the JD shot ( quite partial to it myself as well :) ) so just a (y) from me for a great product shot

Reshoot...perfect placement , great DOF & wonderfull lighting...... :clap:

Hi Peter, nice insect shot nicely placed and good colour really like the pink in the BG :clap:

Jack Daniel's .... does nothing for me.

HA HA ... been dying to say that as people kept telling me my piccies do nothing for them.

On the rocks please. :)
Cheers David

Like the beetle. Sharp and good "pose". Looks like he is thinking about diving of the end of the leaf!
Thanks Andrew

Number - lovely clear pin sharp image well done.

Re shoot - cracking image, composition is perfect and plenty of detail on the beetle I like this very much.
Thanks Mandy

Hi Peter

I pretty much agree with comments already made on the JD shot ( quite partial to it myself as well :) ) so just a (y) from me for a great product shot

Reshoot...perfect placement , great DOF & wonderfull lighting...... :clap:
Thanks Lynne
Lovely detail, colours and focus there. The contrasting colour of the BG works well.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy

Hi Peter, nice insect shot nicely placed and good colour really like the pink in the BG :clap:
Thanks Allan

Week 21 - Strong(bow)

Strongbow by Delta Skies, on Flickr

I have to say I really struggled to get inspired by this theme. Eventually a trip to Homebase meant I came away with some chain. Just shot using a softbox with a floor tile behind the subject. PP involved a bit of levels, curves and contrast to help make the subject stand out a bit more from the background. I also have to add a big thanks to Sarah for the inspired image name. :love:

Impossible to fault that technically or compositionally, detail in the loose fibres is great.

Not sure it's a wall hanger, but they can't all be I suppose.

Hi Peter,
I like your image for shape, nice idea, nice composition too :)
Number.. like it nice clean image :)
re shoot Nature/close.. lovely, well focused, do you know what it is? :)
Strong..an interesting idea lots of detail there :)

Hi Peter, strong is a nice idea, considering you were not too inspired, nice and sharp and a lovely muted BG

Impossible to fault that technically or compositionally, detail in the loose fibres is great.

Not sure it's a wall hanger, but they can't all be I suppose.
Thanks Graham. I do agree with you - it's not on my list to get printed

Hi Peter,
I like your image for shape, nice idea, nice composition too :)
Number.. like it nice clean image :)
re shoot Nature/close.. lovely, well focused, do you know what it is? :)
Strong..an interesting idea lots of detail there :)
Thanks for the catch up Judi

Hi Peter, strong is a nice idea, considering you were not too inspired, nice and sharp and a lovely muted BG
Cheers Allan

God take on the theme. Well composed and good textures and detail on the bow.

A high contrast B&W works equally well.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy

Lovely crisp detail and nice light. Would a plainer background have focused the attention on the subject more, perhaps?
Thanks Paul. I actually started with a plain background but I felt it needed something hence the addition of the floor tile.

Week 22 - Texture

Bulrush Texture by Delta Skies, on Flickr

This theme has driven me mad. Sarah can vouch for that. I've really struggled with ideas and then finally thought of something but the effort to get what I wanted was too great. I ended up shooting this bulrush on a camera club outing to the local canal on Monday. Whilst most members seemed to stick to the tow path taking photos of barges, Sarah and I went looking for nature shots. This one is taken in natural evening light with the 60mm macro lens at f3.2 to throw the background right out of focus.

Strong - I like it works technically and compositionally, nice to see some off the loose fibres in the string. Good take for the theme well done.

Texture - I do like the simplicity of the image, and I can see the texture on the bulrush. However my crit is I feel maybe a closer crop to the subject may work, to help bring us closer to the texture.

Hi Peter,
this image brings back memories, we had a pond full of bulrushes, nice texture and dof(y)
Thanks Judi

Strong - I like it works technically and compositionally, nice to see some off the loose fibres in the string. Good take for the theme well done.

Texture - I do like the simplicity of the image, and I can see the texture on the bulrush. However my crit is I feel maybe a closer crop to the subject may work, to help bring us closer to the texture.
Thanks Mandy. I agree about your comment regarding the crop. I had a shot that was a real close up. It said texture but didn't please me as a photograph hence the wider shot.

I know you appreciate a bit of honesty Peter... And again I applaud the technical and compositional "perfection" of the image, (that bullrush is exactly on a third isn't it?).

I much preferred the more daring composition of your sausage dinner a few weeks back, or the real world unseeable view of your two b&w long exposures.

Now I know the "correct" composition is that for a reason but... (and I'm noticing the same in my set-up shots) over use becomes obvious and therefore less striking.

Not sure if I'm questioning myself more than you here... But I wonder if a less perfect, but more "real", or emotional image would carry more of a wow factor. If I may cite an example.... It would be your Sarah's shot of her father a few weeks back.

As said, this may well be an outlet for my own thoughts on myself rather than a direct critique of your work. And obviously the themes themselves as well as other factors such as time and other responsibilities dictate where our shots end up.

Cheers.

Strong - Very good detail in the string fibres, nice compositionally as well

Texture - Nice detail in the rush, good blurring of the background.

Back