Derwent Water Dream

Geez that was a long scroll to end of the comments :)

Fabulous stuff.

Gaz

Quote "One of my aims this year is to have something worthy to enter in the LPOTY and SLPOTY competitions at the end of the year"
Well you've got it Matty!! I'm with Steve ST4. That's a brillent shot mate, reminds me of some Japanese island with the mist rolling off the mountains. It just all comes together for me ..... Just Magic!

Fantastic shot from the calm water and the fence leading in through to the island? and the slightly isolated peaks in the background. I can only echo what everyone else has said, this is a beautiful image.

Thank you, I was disappointed not to be able to make the following morning, as calm water and clear skies offered some great conditions. Still - one out of two isn't too bad!

Rather nice is that, far better to have those conditions than plain blue skies. The only thing I might prefer is if you had a little less space to the left and a bit more to the right, only a minor thing but otherwise love the mood. I took a couple from here last month with a couple of colourful sunrises, as nice as that was I'd have preferred these misty conditions!

Thank you very much. Yes, the mist was awesome, but very fleeting, and I was all prepared for some sunshine. I'd feel that the post would be a touch cramped if I lost any from the right hand side, that would be my only concern. I don't know as I'll shoot here again, quite happy with this!

Beautiful shot Matty

Thank you Jack, much appreciated!!

Geez that was a long scroll to end of the comments :)

Fabulous stuff.

Gaz

Haha, You're right Gaz, I've never spent so much time replying to people on social media as I have this week. I'm just glad that i am heading in the right direction! Appreciate it pal!!

Superb! I'd be well happy with that (y)

Thanks very much Dave, pleased it hits the mark!

Quote "One of my aims this year is to have something worthy to enter in the LPOTY and SLPOTY competitions at the end of the year"
Well you've got it Matty!! I'm with Steve ST4. That's a brillent shot mate, reminds me of some Japanese island with the mist rolling off the mountains. It just all comes together for me ..... Just Magic!

Haha, Cheers Steve. I'd like to think you're right. I see such a high calibre of work on here and elsewhere, and Im never content with my images, so it's hard to imagine that I'll have something worthy of entering! Your props are taken on board though, and appreciated! I certainly intend to keep working hard for the rest of the year, and hopefully I'll see the progression continue. Thanks dude!

Wow, what a fantastic photo. Far better IMO than any landscape ive seen on this site (or anywhere) in a Loooooong time. I mean no disrespect to anyone else on here when I say this, but most landscape shots I see on here do absolutely nothing for me. Very formulaic, very similar to everything else you can see anywhere else on the web, but this shot...

Just....well.....wow!

Excellent photograph!, lovely composition and the landscape is beautiful. Nicely executed!

Thats just great.
I new I was heading the wrong way when I was driving towards carlisle in that snow fall.

Ephemeral and superb have summed your shot up best so far. Well worth getting up for, may not have been what you went for but very unique. Only comment is for me it work better totally in black and white, personally.

That's the best photo I've seen all year, anywhere.

Thats really high praise Joel, and very much appreciated! Thank you!

Wow, what a fantastic photo. Far better IMO than any landscape ive seen on this site (or anywhere) in a Loooooong time. I mean no disrespect to anyone else on here when I say this, but most landscape shots I see on here do absolutely nothing for me. Very formulaic, very similar to everything else you can see anywhere else on the web, but this shot...

Just....well.....wow!

Haha, cheers Nick, I'm guilty of shooting the same mountains and lakes as everyone else I guess. I'd like to think I do try and not just go for the standard stock shots, when there are other alternatives. Really appreciate your kind words mate!

Excellent photograph!, lovely composition and the landscape is beautiful. Nicely executed!

Many thanks Alfredo, much appreciated!

Super shot with a excellent composition love it :)

Thanks, I have seen a number of shots from this location, but the conditions offered up something a little different which I was glad of!

Thats just great.
I new I was heading the wrong way when I was driving towards carlisle in that snow fall.

I thought I was heading the wrong way too Alf, as it was perfectly clear back home in North Yorkshire. Still, take the rough with the smooth sometimes!! Cheers

Holy moly thats a cracking shot.

Thanks very much Pete, pleased that you like the shot!!

Ephemeral and superb have summed your shot up best so far. Well worth getting up for, may not have been what you went for but very unique. Only comment is for me it work better totally in black and white, personally.

Thanks Craig, I love it when the conditions push you toward a shot that you've maybe not considered making on that day. I guess thinking on your feet and being a bit flexible helps sometimes!
I'm not generally a black and white fan for landscapes, except perhaps for more contrasty scenes, where the full tonal range can be exploited.
Can I ask why you think this would be better without the colour? Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts! Personally I can't really see how it would enhance the shot.
Cheers

One of your best that. A very different spin on an oft photographed location.

Stunning image well worth the early start and trip :)

Wonderful, the elements all came together for you.

Haha, cheers Lee, it doesn't happen much, Mother nature likes to test me I think! Thank you

Thanks very much dude!

One of your best that. A very different spin on an oft photographed location.

Cheers Craig, it's always good to come away with something other than the generic shot. The conditions pushed me towards this!

Stunning image well worth the early start and trip :)

Thanks Phil. I guess the more early mornings I do, the more I'll get used to them. It's getting round to the time of year where I can hit the lakes for a sunrise before work with a little time to spare......cannot wait!

utterly fantastic,

Thank you Heath, really appreciate that!!

Thanks Craig, I love it when the conditions push you toward a shot that you've maybe not considered making on that day. I guess thinking on your feet and being a bit flexible helps sometimes!
I'm not generally a black and white fan for landscapes, except perhaps for more contrasty scenes, where the full tonal range can be exploited.
Can I ask why you think this would be better without the colour? Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts! Personally I can't really see how it would enhance the shot.
Cheers

The reason I said it at the time is whilst I liked the colour in the house light on the island, I found the colour in the foreground post distracting and held my eye there more than it should.

However, I have changed my mind! I took it into PS and had a quick play with it and B & W did not work as well, it lost the cool feel to the mist and water. A touch more contrast and colour balancing in the shadows really makes it pop though.

The reason I said it at the time is whilst I liked the colour in the house light on the island, I found the colour in the foreground post distracting and held my eye there more than it should.

However, I have changed my mind! I took it into PS and had a quick play with it and B & W did not work as well, it lost the cool feel to the mist and water. A touch more contrast and colour balancing in the shadows really makes it pop though.

Haha, i even put a bit of desat on that post as it was really vibrant when shot. Damned wet moss!
Feel free to pop an edit up to show what you mean on the PP though! Im sure PP is one of my (many) weak points, so I am always open to opinions and advice!

I can't say anything that's not already been said, it really is a totally beautiful image. :love::love:

Looking at your flickr I don't think you have many weak points at all!

It is just a personal artistic thing and very subtle changes I would make. If you really want me to process it I'd prefer to work with the RAW, but really out of respect to you I'd rather not, it is your photo and the processing of it how you like it belongs to you along with the taking of it. If you are happy with it then don't change a thing. There is a fair chance my processing would be over cooked and less is more with a shot like this anyway.

Basically for my style of processing I would firstly use the black dropper in levels in photoshop on one of the posts to add slightly more dark contrast and remove the blue cast from the shadows. The info tab with the colour picker tells you all you need to know about the levels and colours of the image. Currently the highlights are reddish and the shadows bluish. The trees then look more green and it gives more colour separation. Then I would use channels to create a mask for the highlights, within that I would push the blue gamma overall, pull the red down in the highlights, I'd fade the mask until it blended nicely with the shadows. An inverse of this channel mask gives you control over just the shadows for which you can create a separate curve to increase contrast in the shadows which makes the island darker, brings out details in the background and makes the trees look sharper. It leaves the soft dreamy highlights alone though. What you end up with colour wise, very subtle is green trees, slightly blue sky/water and red warmth in the lights on the house, where I would keep saturation.

If you do use PS I am happy to email you some screen grabs and explain what I am doing, but really only if you want to change it. There is nothing wrong with the photo, but for me slightly more contrast and colour tweaks is just what I would do.

I can't say anything that's not already been said, it really is a totally beautiful image. :love::love:

Thanks very much, can't believe how well this one has gone down.

Looking at your flickr I don't think you have many weak points at all!

It is just a personal artistic thing and very subtle changes I would make. If you really want me to process it I'd prefer to work with the RAW, but really out of respect to you I'd rather not, it is your photo and the processing of it how you like it belongs to you along with the taking of it. If you are happy with it then don't change a thing. There is a fair chance my processing would be over cooked and less is more with a shot like this anyway.

Basically for my style of processing I would firstly use the black dropper in levels in photoshop on one of the posts to add slightly more dark contrast and remove the blue cast from the shadows. The info tab with the colour picker tells you all you need to know about the levels and colours of the image. Currently the highlights are reddish and the shadows bluish. The trees then look more green and it gives more colour separation. Then I would use channels to create a mask for the highlights, within that I would push the blue gamma overall, pull the red down in the highlights, I'd fade the mask until it blended nicely with the shadows. An inverse of this channel mask gives you control over just the shadows for which you can create a separate curve to increase contrast in the shadows which makes the island darker, brings out details in the background and makes the trees look sharper. It leaves the soft dreamy highlights alone though. What you end up with colour wise, very subtle is green trees, slightly blue sky/water and red warmth in the lights on the house, where I would keep saturation.

If you do use PS I am happy to email you some screen grabs and explain what I am doing, but really only if you want to change it. There is nothing wrong with the photo, but for me slightly more contrast and colour tweaks is just what I would do.

Errrrrr, say what?!
I'm pretty much lightroom only Craig, so whilst I understand in essence what you're saying. I would have no idea how to execute that. I can just about stitch a panorama and save a file in PS. So it may well be a step too far haha|!
I have only spent about 4 minutes on this shot, so I should really spend a touch more time ensuring it is how I would like it. The post does need attention. What i'll do is to have a look this evening, and maybe give you a shout if thats cool if I am struggling to execute my ideas.
Really appreciated dude.

Back