Developing and scanning

Edit My Images
Yes
I got a Paterson film developing kit for Christmas so am looking to get into developing and scanning, starting with b&w. 35mm and medium format 6x7. I have ordered the following from ag photographic:

Ilford ILFOTEC HC Developer 1L
Stop, fixer and wetting agent
Large changing bag
Kenro Glassine Negative bags

I think this covers me for the developing so I am considering scanner options. Epson seems to be recommended on here but should I go for v500, 600, 700 or 800. The price climbs quite highly as you go up the range but I don't mind paying if the results are significantly better. Any comment or recommendations would be greatly received.

Last edited:
The V500 will be fine for the 120 negatives. I used one myself and was more than happy with the results. A lot of people say the flatbeds aren't as good for 35mm negs compared to a dedicated 35mm scanner which is probably right after scanning some 35mm myself although the results weren't terrible.

35mm Scan

Canon EOS 30 / Sigma 50mm 1.4 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

120 Scan

Yashica MAT 124-G by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Cheers
Steve

The V550 works well for me. At 35mm and 120 (645 and 6x7).

What are you planning on doing with your scans? If you're making large prints or using large digital files then the difference between less and more capable scanners will show (especially on smaller formats like 35mm), but if you're only uploading to the net at smaller sizes you're probably not really going to notice much difference. :)

Nice Christmas presents. I'm also a V500 user. My examples:

35mm

11797323686_92f23a7435_z.jpg

120 (6 by 6)

15428312175_0d6156a9ab_z.jpg

The examples all look good to me. So I guess v500 - 550 will be sufficient. This will just be for small prints/web. If I ever shoot anything I want to print big then I can always get it scanned by a lab.

Sounds like a good plan Rob. I use a V500 for both 35mm and 120 and find it very capable especially for web use and smaller prints.

Andy

Another vote for the V500, great value for money

Oh dear I wish I hadn't ordered the chemicals from AG. I ordered just after Christmas and I still haven't got my order and communication with them is poor.

My son ordered me a negative box file and some neg holders for my Xmas prezzie.... still waiting. I am becoming increasingly fed up with AG. :mad:

Oh dear I wish I hadn't ordered the chemicals from AG. I ordered just after Christmas and I still haven't got my order and communication with them is poor.
My son ordered me a negative box file and some neg holders for my Xmas prezzie.... still waiting. I am becoming increasingly fed up with AG. :mad:
You both have my sympathy, I gave AG one last chance for the contact sheet challenge last year and wasn't impressed at the quality of the processing, the traditional contact print or the speed of the service, sorry guys but they're not an option for me anymore. If I was local I'd consider using them but not for mail order :(

I've dropped them from my list of suppliers now, too many disappointments from them.

Yes, I think this is the last chance saloon for me as well. It's not an option for a company to be this inefficient in this day and age, order from First Call for example and its with you in a day or two.

Silverprint or Firstcall for me from now on. I don't mind paying more for a competent company.

Silverprint or Firstcall for me from now on. I don't mind paying more for a competent company.

Thanks, I know the alternatives now. I don't know whether for this order to cancel and try and get a refund and reorder from one of them or continue waiting.

it's a shame that Matthew at @AgPhotographic hasn't found this thread and commented upon it really... though it looks like most people have already made their mind up to ditch them anyway...

it's a shame that Matthew at @AgPhotographic hasn't found this thread and commented upon it really... though it looks like most people have already made their mind up to ditch them anyway...

Don't want to hijack this thread but I just wanted to say that I've used them 3 times in 2014 and was always happy with the results and max 2 weeks turn around.

Don't want to hijack this thread but I just wanted to say that I've used them 3 times in 2014 and was always happy with the results and max 2 weeks turn around.
It's good to hear your positive experience and shows they do have the ability to get it right sometimes.

I haven't used them much, but haven't had a problem with AG when I have done so. That said, when I know I want something quickly, I do usually look elsewhere.

I've had to drop them too, I just can't be arsed with them, to be perfectly honest I think they're taking the p1$$ a bit.
They are not the only supplier, they shouldn't be treating their customers as if they were, nobody shoots film because they're tight unless they are Brian, they shoot it because they can afford to, they can also afford some decent service for a few pence more, lifes too short for AG's if's buts and maybe's.

SilverPrint :) FirstCall :)

For scanning I've been using an Epson V550 scanner, I don't mind it too much for medium format, and the results are good for 35mm B&W (more work for colour), however it takes at least an hour to scan in a 36 exposure roll.

I'm waiting on a delivery from the USA, it's a Pakon F-135 35mm scanner. Essentially they used to retail for $10,000 and can scan an UNCUT(!) 35exp roll in about 5 minutes :). From what I've seen other people post the colour accuracy is amazing. The only downside is the image size is 6Mp, however... I've read reviews that show the Epson flatbeds really top out at around 1200-2400 DPI depending on the model, this means the Pakon is reasonably level with the current flatbeds.

The Dodochrome system said they were processing and scanning on a Pakon! You going into business? ;)

The Dodochrome system said they were processing and scanning on a Pakon! You going into business? ;)

;) not quite, these scanners can be picked up for around £200-250 so seem like a good deal when compared to flatbeds.

My order from ag finally arrived yesterday and I developed my first roll last night and there are images on the film! I was very pleased when I pulled the film off the reel. Now I just need to get a scanner to see what they are like. I have bid on a few on eBay recently but haven't secured one yet.

@Robclarke Found this on the bay. I've got one. And, when you get your 5x4 you can scan those as well...

@Robclarke Found this on the bay. I've got one. And, when you get your 5x4 you can scan those as well...

Ha I guess you must be right 35mm, 6x4.5 medium format, 6x7 medium format. 5x4 must be next ...

I went 828 (approx 35mm no sprockets), 6x9, 6x6 (both box cameras) sub miniature, 35mm, half frame, 6x7, 5x4. But I would like to try a "real" camera with larger film...

I have used AG a couple of times and at first I was really impressed with them. After placing my orders (both in the afternoon after their cut off time) I gave them a quick email asking to dispatch ASAP. They were great and dispatched the same day, and I received the next day. After my good experiences I went straight back to them to order some paper after Christmas, but that took 9 days to turn up and they don't seem to respond at all to emails and never answer the phone... I'll probably use them again in the future but I'll have to make sure I order things well before I run out!

Anyway, back on topic! I use a V550 and it's really great for 120. I've only used it a bit so far for 35mm but the results weren't great. Mind you I mainly shoot 120 and my 35mm camera is a crappy old Praktica so that's probably why! I hunted around for a second hand scanner for a while, but decided just to buy a new one for about £180 as I suck at waiting for things. It paid for itself really quickly though as I was saving a lot per roll, so I didn't mind paying the extra for a new one.

Interesting thought. As a matter of fact, I demonstrate a local camera obscura with a five foot or so diameter dish. The lack of a shutter would be a problem though (although I understand that some years ago a very keen type rigged up a toilet seat as a shutter and used that).

I have now got a scanner, I ended up getting an Epson v800. I am going to have a try at scanning tonight. I am working with 35mm Ilford HP5. I have read up a bit on scanning and it looks quite simple using Epson scan. From what I have read it is just a case of adjusting the histogram to ensure no clipping, choosing a resolution pressing scan and doing any further processing in Lightroom. What resolution is the best to go for for the best quality/file size compromise? Some people seem to recommend scanning b&w as colour rather than grayscale, is this worth it. Any scanning tips would be gratefully received.

As you say, set the points to cover the whole histogram, set the black and white points to 0 and 255. For resolution I use 2400 for good quality cameras (the RB or OM) and 1200 for box cameras and LF, box cameras don't have the resolution so your just making big blurry pictures and 5x4 gets too big for my computer. Scan in full colour, I've not really checked but I understand you get more detail, I have in the past selected just one channel to work in LR if the image is in bad condition.

I generally go for 1600 resolution for b&w and 3200 for colour, to be fair I can't actually remember the reasons for these settings but I must have seen it somewhere....:thinking:

I am still unsure as to whether scanning b&w as colour does anything other than mean I have to convert it back to b&w in PS but I often scan twice, one for each option.

Not been a lot of help here really Rob, sorry. I do find that Epson Scan works ok and is fairly intuitive, as you say just keep the histogram nice and neat and generally anything else can be sorted in pp.

Andy

As you say, set the points to cover the whole histogram, set the black and white points to 0 and 255. For resolution I use 2400 for good quality cameras (the RB or OM) and 1200 for box cameras and LF, box cameras don't have the resolution so your just making big blurry pictures and 5x4 gets too big for my computer. Scan in full colour, I've not really checked but I understand you get more detail, I have in the past selected just one channel to work in LR if the image is in bad condition.

There you go, someone who knows what they're talking about. :D

Thanks for this, very helpful. If you scan in full colour is there anything you need to do in lightroom to make it grayscale or just leave it as colour?

Thanks for this, very helpful. If you scan in full colour is there anything you need to do in lightroom to make it grayscale or just leave it as colour?

I just use the auto b&w option. There is probably better way though so it might be worth doing some investigation.

I tried scanning Black and White in colour. Then in Photoshop selecting the green channel (usually it's the sharpest) Then changing the image mode to greyscale. It'll discard the other channels. Works ok, still need to adjust contrast, dodge and burn. Found it easier to scan in greyscale. Then perform PP in Photoshop. Couldn't see any difference in the finished article.

Trevor, have you tried splitting the channels (sorry if this is how you do it anyway)? With an image open, open the Channels palette, click on the channel's menu icon and select 'Split Channels'. This will separate your open image into 3 images, with each new image representing a single channel. It's quicker than dumping channels or messing with channel visibility.

Back