Devon HDR

Name
George
Edit My Images
No
A couple from a holiday in Devon last year I've re-done as HDR.

Part of the cliff-top walk at Beer.

horse-view-1.jpg

Sidmouth beach

family-on-beach-1.jpg

Love the sky in the second one, beauty

Quite impressed with these. I think I've seen too many badly tonemapped photos which has jaded my opinion of HDR photography, mostly false colourisation puts me off. However, these have come out great, it seems there's actually some really good photos by those who obviously know what they're doing.

I've tried hdr a few times and failed badly, I need to find a good tutorial I think.
These are great, they drag you in and won't let go, your eye wants to take in everything, lovely.

Lovely colours in the second image. The sandstone cliffs & beach especially. The sky is pretty special as well.

I've tried hdr a few times and failed badly, I need to find a good tutorial I think.

If you find one, let me know, now I've seen it done properly, I would like to give it another try myself. Maybe Tucker could give us a few pointers, he's clearly nailed the art. (y)

If you find one, let me know, now I've seen it done properly, I would like to give it another try myself. Maybe Tucker could give us a few pointers, he's clearly nailed the art. (y)

I don't mind sharing my method of HDR at all Richard. Firstly I only shoot the one shot, I then create my over-exposed and under-exposed files in Lightroom (similar to Camera Raw) from the one RAW file and use these three files to generate a HDR. I import all three files into Dynamic Photo HDR, tone-mapped using the 'eye catching' setting and then reduce the colour saturation to suit.

A couple more:

Beer-view-from-cliff.jpg

boats-on-beach.jpg

I don't mind sharing my method of HDR at all Richard. Firstly I only shoot the one shot, I then create my over-exposed and under-exposed files in Lightroom (similar to Camera Raw) from the one RAW file and use these three files to generate a HDR. I import all three files into Dynamic Photo HDR, tone-mapped using the 'eye catching' setting and then reduce the colour saturation to suit.

I'm wondering if you've used Photomatix before and if so how does Dynamic Photo HDR compare?

Thanks.

Very nice George (y):clap: love the look of these

Cracking set George you have framed the shots well.
Now I have viewed these I must have a go at this HDR.
Regards
Paul.

like the natural looks with the HDR. i should practice more and thanks for sharing the tips. use the photo matrix?

Brilliant pictures here! The skies look amazing and lighting is great too.

Some great tips! I was wondering how you had people and horses in it thinking you'd taken 3 different exposures :thinking: How far do you stretch the other two exposures?

I'm wondering if you've used Photomatix before and if so how does Dynamic Photo HDR compare?

I'd also like to know this - I've used Photomatix a couple of times but never get the results I want (maybe it's because I'm a newbie and don't know how to use it to its full potential).

Will :D.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I can't compare Photomatix with Dynamic Photo HDR because I've never used Photomatix but a lot of folk have so it must be good.

Will: How far I stretch the two exposures depends on the image itself. The two top images were taken at a time of the day when traditionally (film) photo's wouldn't normally of been taken because the lighting was too contrasty.

I pull the exposure to regain the lost highlights for the one file and push the exposure to bring back shadow detail on the other, so it depends on the original really as they all differ but a 1 - 1.5 stop either way as an average I would say.

The lost detail is there in the RAW file and I could of got it back with some selective dodging/burning but I like the detail that HDR produces so went down that route instead.

Cheers

George

Super images. HDR is such a useful technique when the conditions are against you - I invariably use it to take location shots at the weddings that I attend.

Very good use of HDR, not overcooked or surreal looking, managed to keep a nice natural balance to the photos

Holy thread revival batman! :LOL:

Much nicer than some of the garish images that HDR can sometimes produce, love the last shot of the fishing boats

These are exactly the sort of HDR's i love. Not over the top like kids going mad in a sweet shop, but enough to really make the photos pop beyond regular PP

Wonderfully done, with such restraint. :cool:

PS - nice lens George. What were you using ?

Back