Critique Dianne

For me I'm afraid the pp has been overdone, especially the eyes.

It also looks like you put your model in dappled light, which for me is never ideal.

Hi Sam,
There's a lot to like -
attractive subject
hair framing face nicely
background not distracting

but the sun from above is harsh and with the crown has created unflattering shadow across her cheek.

I would try bringing a reflector in to see if i could lift the shadows enough. I would also then move her into shade, and use the reflector to camera left to broad light her and i suspect that would have helped.

Good work.

Hi Sam,
There's a lot to like -
attractive subject
hair framing face nicely
background not distracting

but the sun from above is harsh and with the crown has created unflattering shadow across her cheek.

I would try bringing a reflector in to see if i could lift the shadows enough. I would also then move her into shade, and use the reflector to camera left to broad light her and i suspect that would have helped.

Good work.

I wouldn't broad light that face.

She has quite a round face so broad lighting it won't flatter her. I'd narrow light it if I wanted to flatter her or simply light her straight on (flat) as it's more about the make up than the model.

I like it technically, though that crown is a bit crazy!. Not fussed on her facial expression either, almost looks like she doesn't want her photograph taken.
My only other gripe (which I wouldnt gripe about, but I photographed something similar and it got pointed out to me), is the shadows falling onto her arms and dress and er. cleavage, presumably from the trees (behind you?) giving an uneven light.

Other than nit picking, I do like it.

I think that if you intended to show off the make up you could of got an awful lot closer and really shown it off. Short light her or even light her from above you. But I hate to say this does neither the MUA or the styling any favours. It just looks at bit meh. By extension of that you've not flattered her either. The photo leaves my no idea about the styling either. I think you could dial the PP back a lot as well

She has quite a round face so broad lighting it won't flatter her. I'd narrow light it if I wanted to flatter her or simply light her straight on (flat) as it's more about the make up than the model.

Thanks Ryan - that's a fair point. I'd add that to the list of things I'd try then.

to OP - hope the questioning helped you as well as me :)

Back