Did you sell your kit lens?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
So lately I've been thinking of selling my second body, a D60. I already have a D90 and if anything I'm thinking of upgrading, but not 100% sure on which one. But that's another tale.

My q. is, did you sell the kit lens that came with your camera after you bought better glass? Or did you keep it? (assuming of course it came with a kit lens).

I'm wondering whether I'm better off selling the nikkor 18-55 (and ultimately the 55-200) and stick simply to the 17-55 or maybe even just sell those two and get an 18-200 as an all-rounder.

I couldnt sell my first lens. It was my first step into dslr photography if its not your first lens then it depends if you need it or not.

I've never sold my kit lenses past or present. Even if I dont use them, I've found when it comes to re selling it helps to have the complete kit

I've gone and done it - sold my Canon 18-55 :D

I'm think about selling my Canon kit lens too 18-55 EFS. How much did you get for it Lawrence??

When I had my 350d, I kept the kit lens as it was my only lens for about a year and it helped sell it :D

I've never sold my kit lenses past or present. Even if I dont use them, I've found when it comes to re selling it helps to have the complete kit

In the words of a certain Mr M.Loaf, you took the words right out of my mouth.

However, I think I may just have to keep my first ever DSLR so when I am an old man, I can show the grandkids, "This is what he has in my day, 10 Megapixels and you had to press buttons!"

I sold my Canon 18-55mm IS because I bought an 18-200mm IS and never used it. Seems little point in keeping it if you don't use it. I would have thought it is best to sell your kit lens with the D60 as it is an entry level camera and the buyer is more likely to want a lens with it.

I know the image quality of the 18-200mm lens is not meant to be as good as the shorter zooms, but mine is so convenient as a general walkabout lens it gets used more than any of the others. I wouldn't be without it.

I'm think about selling my Canon kit lens too 18-55 EFS. How much did you get for it Lawrence??

£36.78 on here :D Not much, but its not a great lens in my view, and its the start of putting it towards an 'L' (he says in awe)

o.0

I'm pretty sure the 18-55 is more than that...

Ive still got my kit lens, mainly because I bought a Sigma 28-70 so wanted to keep the kit lens for anything wider......although I havent used it since lol

o.0

I'm pretty sure the 18-55 is more than that...

damn was it? It wasn't a planned sale really, I thought 30-40 ish was a rough price for the standard one, and about £30 more for the newer IS version.:shake:

I still have and use the kit lens, my workhorse 14-35 f2.0 (28-70 equiv) is a wonderful lens but a bit bulky to carry about when walking the dogs, the kit lens (24-84 equiv) is small and light and still good enough to use on a casual basis.

Paul

When I recently bought my D90 I did'nt get it with the recommended kit lens the 18-105 VR but instead went for another Nikon kit lens, the 18-55 VR

Why, because it was half the price and considered by Ken Rockwell to be the better lens.

He even included it in his list of the 10 best Nikkors of all time.

I kept my 18-70mm kit lens from my D200. Used for a few years until I traded in for something with a constant f/2.8 aperture, a Tamron 17-50mm. That 18-70mm was probably one of the best lenses I've ever used on a camera because it was reliable, had quick AF, great image quality and was as sharp as a tack.

When I recently bought my D90 I did'nt get it with the recommended kit lens the 18-105 VR but instead went for another Nikon kit lens, the 18-55 VR. Why, because it was half the price and considered by Ken Rockwell to be the better lens. He even included it in his list of the 10 best Nikkors of all time.
To some on here you have just committed the cardinal sin, listening to Uncle Ken. Me - I think he's great and talks a lot of sense.

Nikon 18-135 got me £50 px value against a body upgrade. That's about £50 more than it was worth as a lens, the thing was softer than custard and I'm better off without it. Unless the new owner's on here in which case I'm sure they got a bargain.

yep, flogged my 17-85 that came with the 30D after i'd replaced it with a 24-70

I sold my kit lens (17-85) as soon as I could afford to go 'L'

And like buckas I replace it with a 24-70 f/2.8

Sold both the lenses that came as part of kits. When I bought my first DSLR (a D70), it came with the excellent value 18-70 lens. When I sold my 2nd DSLR (a D200), the buyer needed a lens to go with it so he bought the 18-70 (I had already bought a D700 so the Dx lens was all but useless to me). The D700 came as a kit with the 24-120 VR at an extra cost over body only of £170 or so. After getting a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, the 24-120 was all but redundant so was traded in (along with a Sigma 170-500) against a Sigma 150-500 OS.

damn was it? It wasn't a planned sale really, I thought 30-40 ish was a rough price for the standard one, and about £30 more for the newer IS version.:shake:

The early non IS version is probably worth what you estimated. it is the IS version that is worth more.

I think when I bought the non IS version a long time ago (Before the IS was released) to sell with a camera it only cost me about £45

I sold the one that came with my D80, it was only £40 more new than buying a body alone and the lens sold for £175 on Fleabay :D

When I recently bought my D90 I did'nt get it with the recommended kit lens the 18-105 VR but instead went for another Nikon kit lens, the 18-55 VR

Why, because it was half the price and considered by Ken Rockwell to be the better lens.

He even included it in his list of the 10 best Nikkors of all time.

Good ole Ken :) He does have some weird things to say, but he also states somewhere that you shouldn't trust him 100% :D But I find I like the majority of what he says.

No.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I've bought someone elses kit lens (18-70mm) and its a great way for me to experience a better lens without breaking the bank

Sold mine straight away, couldn't get body only on the day I went to buy and actually made a few quid from the deal
Buyer did ok as well with a brand new lens for a good bit less than the shops wanted

Kept my D40 kit lens for a few months while I learnt the ropes, then sold it to fund a 17-50 f2.8 purchase and never looked back. Then when I bought a D90 I went for the kit and sold off the lens, saving a good £50 on the body only price :)

Back