Digital compact cam for less than 100 pounds

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I have a Nikon D70s and an assortment of lenses. I am starting a job in Septmber which requires me to take some photos out on site. For this I would like a small 'point and shoot' compact digital camera. My budget is 100 pounds. So far I think the Fujifilm Finepix J20 seems to be the best for my needs coming in at 89.99 from Jessops.

Does anyone know of a better digital compact or think the J20 would not be a good idea? I would prefer one that does not go on standard AA or AAA batteries, but has its own Lithium rechargeable battery.

Thanks,

Robert

I had an Ixus 500 which I used for this type of thing before I had a second body. The quality is great and it also comes with a lithium ion battery and a decent flash. The quality is great and you can pick them up on ebay for under £50.

hi there cowasaki,

It seems quite good though is only 5mp. Also I am a bit dubious about ebay and dont have an account. I would prefer to get a canon although there seems to be very few canons for less than 150 pounds in the market at the moment.

5MP is more than enough for most things. I had a Casio QV-3500EX which was 3.3 megapixels, you could blow images up from that to A3 with no problem.

hi there cowasaki,

It seems quite good though is only 5mp. Also I am a bit dubious about ebay and dont have an account. I would prefer to get a canon although there seems to be very few canons for less than 150 pounds in the market at the moment.

As has been said 5mp is enough for most purposes unless you need to blow pictures up beyond A3 or something. The ixus camera I mentioned is a canon and they do them to 10mp if you want. I mentioned that model as they are a good price, good quality and lion battery

I use a Nikon Coolpix S220. Very compact and 10 MP. Extremely capable camera, has rechargable battery than you desire, come with mains charger, and runs on SD cards which are cheap.

Can be had online for around £100 - first google search bought up this one (http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductID=6945&gclid=CLCR6vSLrZwCFaAA4wodcDXpjw) from Camerabox at £99. I haven't dealt with them before so don't take this as a recomendation though. I got mine 2nd hand off fleabay for around £80 3 months ago.

I use a Nikon Coolpix S220. Very compact and 10 MP. Extremely capable camera, has rechargable battery than you desire, come with mains charger, and runs on SD cards which are cheap.

The S220 seems good. Do you have any problems with not being able to see the lcd screen when outside.

They're no less reputable than half of the sellers on ebay. When you buy second hand you take your chances anyway. An item could be perfectly looked after from day one, then sold second hand and die the day after. Its a gamble :).

The S220 seems good. Do you have any problems with not being able to see the lcd screen when outside.

Can't say that I do to be honest, I guess in the very brightest of sunlight it can get tricky but that's true of all lcd screens. I've just used it extensively in Tenerife and can't recall being frustrated by not being able to see the lcd. Hope that helps.

Thanks for comments,

I ended up going for the Fuji Finepix f60fd at 119 pounds. Hopefully it will be ok.

Back