Dilema - returning to a DSLR from Micro 4/3

I'm decided ... I'm going back to m4/3rds.

Sick to death of all this camera equipment, ever since I started getting more serious about my photography I've spent more time equipment shopping and obsessing over the latest and greatest. It's cost me a fortune and quite frankly started to ruin what was once a really enjoyable past time.

Yes I like to take pictures but the enjoyable part for me was always the finished image - not the process of taking it.

If only I'd realised this several months ago I'd have heavier pockets.

Wouldn't you be better just staying at home and burning tenners? It would probably work out as a cheaper hobby :LOL:

Ah, but it has a red dot on it, and its scentifically proven that if you slap a red dot on a Panasonic and call it a Leica people will pay lots more it :nuts:

So as this really is a Leica - with a red dot everyone pays £££££ for! - its probably good value ;)

Just print that large red dot and stick it on a Panny compact - instant Like a...

Hi Will, I don't mind taking a bit of time to setup a shot in terms of composition or manual exposure but the whole equipment element of photography has taken over.

"Hi I'm John and I'm an equipment whore"

I've also switched from going out on trips and carrying along a camera to going on trips specifically to use the camera which just isn't as enjoyable.

I want to wind back the clock and pick up were I left off before all this madness - a nice camera than produces useable pictures of the kids and is handy for other pictures when I want more.

I'm just going to pickup an E-P2, Panny 20mm for indoor shots in lowlight and the 14-45mm for more generalised stuff. Sod the wide angle, sod the superzoom.

But what are you going to do when weeks/months down the line you start missing the control you get with a DSLR, the better low light capability and everything else which got you moving up the chain in the first place?

If you are determined to shift over to a smaller system, why not keep hold of the D700 for a while and only when it's been sat there unused and you're sure you don't need a DSLR then sell it on?

Ah, but it has a red dot on it, and its scentifically proven that if you slap a red dot on a Panasonic and call it a Leica people will pay lots more it :nuts:

So as this really is a Leica - with a red dot everyone pays £££££ for! - its probably good value ;)

Thank god that only works for the lower end of the range, though Panasonic only own the right to use the name and a few test rigs/machines.
Mind you a similar thing happened with Minolta and Leica in the 70's, hence we got the CL and CLE rangefinders that ended up being streets ahead of the actual Leica's of the time.

Ginger weasel, go easy mate, I know what you mean, I was one of the ones who dumped everything, bought into whats still an expensive system with glass to tempt you and came away poorer but wiser and had to start again.

The key for me has been working within my physical limits, this has had the effect of limiting me lens and camera wise so forced me to be creative and maximise what I have.
Where I able to go out I could quite happily fit the 500D a 50mm and a couple of batteries in a jacket pocket, heck I could even slip the 85mm in the other pocket but at the end of the day I would not let myself go out stacked to the eyeballs with gear ever again.
Your right its about enjoyment and not about photographing everything all the time, so like taking minimum gear its all about self discipline.

My only other tip would be to maybe go the way I was wishing I could go.. and as mentioned above.. Leica and a couple of lenses, high initial outlay, but it holds its price, is reasonably compact but still has the quality of the DSLR.
The only other one I would look at as a serious addition would be the new fuji when it comes out.. that could be the most fun going that hasnt got a red dot on it.

@ digitalrelish

I'll certainly ponder on this Will, might be worth having some cross over if the funds allow.

@ iancandler

I think I'm finally over the equipment thing, yes there will always be a camera that can do something just that little better, or does it that little faster. The m4/3rds range has proven it can produce good images and non of it's limitations really come into play for what I shoot other than ISO.

However they look okay upto 800 ISO and I'm sure lightroom could clean up 1600 quite nicely. I've never printed any large output but I'm sure you can get good results upto A3.

@ bl0at3r

We should start a support club ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Just print that large red dot and stick it on a Panny compact - instant Like a...

That post is worth at least £200 to Leica fans just for the dot :LOL:

You can just feel the quality - its all in the dot..!

That post is worth at least £200 to Leica fans just for the dot :LOL:

You can just feel the quality - its all in the dot..!

There certainly is a premium for this and at the lower end of the range I don't understand why you wouldn;t just pickup a Panasonic.

However I can see why people flock to the M9. Whilst it may not be the best full frame camera on the market it does offer something no one else seems to - a compact FF. Perfect for thos wanting a portable hobby camera that produces the highest quality output. You just have to be Donald Trump to own it.

The M9 does look lovely, but are people flocking to it?

I really don't know, but I imagine its pretty low volume, certainly the premium pricing would suggest that...?

I suspect it'll only be a matter of time before we see a mirrorless FF - I suspect this will comes from Sony via the NEX line within 18 months.

There certainly is a premium for this and at the lower end of the range I don't understand why you wouldn;t just pickup a Panasonic.

However I can see why people flock to the M9. Whilst it may not be the best full frame camera on the market it does offer something no one else seems to - a compact FF. Perfect for thos wanting a portable hobby camera that produces the highest quality output. You just have to be Donald Trump to own it.

Cos at the top end, ie the M9 its not a rebadged panasonic but a purpose built camera in its own right and it offers something the panny's cant.. a top class optical viewfinder and kodak full frame sensor.

Anyone know if the d300s is due for an upgrade? Seems to be equivalent to a 7d in terms of price and spec.

Also when is the d7000 due to hit the shelves?

Thanks

Hi Alan

I have just bought a D5000 and I really like it. I'm not suggesting you buy one but just that Nikon to me does feel better built. the IQ is very impressive even with the std kit lens.

I bought it as I had a job for a few months but that has fallen through :bang: so I shouldn't have bought the camera really but it's too late now :D

Hi Mate.

I work for Surrey Police as someone who covers for sickness, maternity leave, special projects or anything else where they need someone to 'fill in'. All was fine but many departments have moved to Guildford which is too far for me as I'm still the one who needs to be around for the kids. Work is in VERY short supply as they are trying to save money in every department. I need to find a more permanent job but there's not much out there and what there is is getting loads of applicants. It's very annoying.

I looked at the Sony NEX system and found the image quality to be fairly poor compared to DSLRs and even 4/3 systems. But I don't have the camera myself so I can't really comment that strongly, I just go by what reviewers, customers and flickr images say. Also it's too similar in size and function to the GF1 so no use at all.

Interesting comment about the NEX, as I was under the impression that IQ was excellent (1.5x sensor and all), have you tried them? Congrats on the D5000, looks an excellent camera with very good high ISO :)

Interesting comment about the NEX, as I was under the impression that IQ was excellent (1.5x sensor and all), have you tried them? Congrats on the D5000, looks an excellent camera with very good high ISO :)

Well i have gone from what the reviews say and some customer feedback but they were always using the kit lenses. I had a look on Flickr and they do look good but not Stunning! I would say the IQ was good, not excellent but saying that i have never used one so in the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing i expect it will be a good camera. It's certainly funky!! :D

Hi Alan

I have just bought a D5000 and I really like it. I'm not suggesting you buy one but just that Nikon to me does feel better built. the IQ is very impressive even with the std kit lens.

I bought it as I had a job for a few months but that has fallen through :bang: so I shouldn't have bought the camera really but it's too late now :D

Well i have gone from what the reviews say and some customer feedback but they were always using the kit lenses. I had a look on Flickr and they do look good but not Stunning! I would say the IQ was good, not excellent but saying that i have never used one so in the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing i expect it will be a good camera. It's certainly funky!! :D

Cheers Andy and sorry to hear about your job issues.

Because I sold all my Canon stuff, I am using this as an opportunity to research Nikon stuff too, and to be honest am very tempted by it.

Still on the fence though, but am definitely keeping the GF1 & 20mm.

Do you know if there is a Nikon equivalent of the superb Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM?

Cheers Andy and sorry to hear about your job issues.

Because I sold all my Canon stuff, I am using this as an opportunity to research Nikon stuff too, and to be honest am very tempted by it.

Still on the fence though, but am definitely keeping the GF1 & 20mm.

Do you know if there is a Nikon equivalent of the superb Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM?

Good to hear you're keeping the GF1 and the 20mm. Really is a great camera.

Nikon Lenses... To be honest mate I have absolutely no frigin idea what lenses are good and bad. With Canon it was pretty easy but Nikon is all a mystery to me :D I have to stick with lenses with the AF motor in as the D5000 does not have built in AF motor in the body. It will be a case of choosing what focal length I want and asking which is best. Don't forget that Sigma and Tamron make some cracking lenses too!

I have the std 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR lens with my D5000 and to be honest it's a very good lens indeed. The price between body only and 18-55mm kit was £40 so it was daft not to get the lens kit. I have a Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.4 T* Planar ZF lens (Nikon Fit) which is superb and makes full use of the brilliant Nikon sensor. The only prob with manual focus lenses is that they only work in M mode so you have to set the aperture on the lens and shutter speed on the camera so the 1st few shots are a bit hit or miss.....miss usually :D With canon you just pop it on Aperture priority and the shutter speed is done for you. With Nikon it's more old skool :D

End of October for the d7000 Alan. I'm very tempted. There are rumours of a d400 but nothing concrete as far as I can see.

Last edited:
Isn't the D7000 the replacement for the D90 or am I talking boll***s? :D

Not quite Andy. Nikon say (and the specs suggest) it will sit between the D90 and D300s. D90 isn't getting discontinued just yet.

My only concern about nikon is the lenses, there seems to be less available used, and they seem a little more expensive than canon equivalents.

Last edited:
Not quite Andy. Nikon say (and the specs suggest) it will sit between the D90 and D300s. D90 isn't getting discontinued just yet.

They are still selling well so i guess there's no reason to stop. Nikon have got a very good line of cameras!!

End of October for the d7000 Alan. I'm very tempted. There are rumours of a d400 but nothing concrete as far as I can see.

Hmm, still got time to research then, cheers.

Isn't the D7000 the replacement for the D90 or am I talking boll***s? :D

I thought it was but seems they are doing the same as Canon did with the 40D & 50D.

If the price dropped a hundred or so on the D90 I'd be tempted to snap one up - hell of a camera for that money.

Same with everything, you look at the prices and it's only another two hundred or so for the next model up, and then before you know it you're looking at £3500 cameras!

Same with everything, you look at the prices and it's only another two hundred or so for the next model up, and then before you know it you're looking at £3500 cameras!
Does that work the same with women? :LOL:

Still here and doing my head in going round in circles....

Seriously tempted by the D7000 - or buy another 7D but that seems a bit weird seeing as I have lost a few hundred on the last one.

Anyone know whether the 7D prices will come down at all?

I think I need to set a budget and stick to it - if I go Canon I want the body and the 17-55mm 2.8 IS. If I go Nikon I want the body but am not that impressed with their 17-55 equiv - dearer than the Canon and no VR - so no idea what lens I'd start out with.

Since I replied to your post I brought the D90 and 16-85mm lens (very sharp lens wide open). Like you I was pondering over the D7000 but realised the D90 is more capable than I will ever be, besides I’ve stopped believing that the newest tech will get me better pics. I still have my m4/3’s gear which I use when on holiday or just out and about.

Are you keeping hold of your GF1?

I made the mistake of going into Red Dot at lunch time. Played with a Leica M8, that's another camera I'm thinking about :bonk:

E-5.

Keep the benefits of the Four Thirds sensor, but in a rugged, weathersealed body, with simply excellent results from the improved sensor. Oh and you get to use Zuiko glass!

Since I replied to your post I brought the D90 and 16-85mm lens (very sharp lens wide open). Like you I was pondering over the D7000 but realised the D90 is more capable than I will ever be, besides I’ve stopped believing that the newest tech will get me better pics. I still have my m4/3’s gear which I use when on holiday or just out and about.

Are you keeping hold of your GF1?

I made the mistake of going into Red Dot at lunch time. Played with a Leica M8, that's another camera I'm thinking about :bonk:

Yes, keeping the GF1+20mm, and the D90 was also on my list - but I can't help but think the D90 and 7D prices may drop a little once the D7000 is in stock at the end of this month....

So I'm continuing to research! but you're right the D90, or even the D5000/D3100 is probably more camera than I'll ever need!

Back