Dim light, how?

Name
Gemma
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I have a canon 600d/t3i with the kit lens and a SIGMA 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS and this is ALL. I do not have the money or the time to buy external flash/reflectors etc but I have been asked to shoot at a wedding reception from 7:00pm in a low dim/dark room?!

How can I get the best photos? Using the inbuilt flash is so bright and would constantly be going off? And also wanted to try amd get candid photos to and with the flash that would be impossible?

Please can anyone help at all.
Thank you so much

Well you can crank up the ISO and hope for the best. Or you can buy a flash and learn how to use it bounced or diffused.

There's no secrets, no magic bullet, the rules of physics don't bend because you haven't got the ability to use or the budget to buy other gear.

Gemma,

sorry to be harsh but you are either equipped to do the job or you are not as a professional and knowing when to say no is possibly more important than saying yes. What makes you know? test, test, test, so can you go somewhere similar and see what your equipment is capable of? Do what Phil says and try at different ISOs and see what results you get and if you cant get anything then let them know, much better to do that than to let them think you can and then disappoint them with nothing.

Mike

Well you can crank up the ISO and hope for the best. Or you can buy a flash and learn how to use it bounced or diffused.

There's no secrets, no magic bullet, the rules of physics don't bend because you haven't got the ability to use or the budget to buy other gear.

What Phil said, try going to the venue before the date at the time you plan to shoot and see what its like

This may be harsh and slightly unreasonable, but you've not got much of a hope. You either need more light or a way to maximise the available light. So flash or fast lenses. On camera flash is very difficult to make look good, and fast lenses require buying or hiring more kit. You can wind up the ISO, but I have a 650d and high ISO doesn't look great pretty quickly.

If this is a paid job that you can't back out of, then I'd look at hiring in the kit needed to do the job well.

Hi,
I have a canon 600d/t3i with the kit lens and a SIGMA 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS and this is ALL. I do not have the money or the time to buy external flash/reflectors etc but I have been asked to shoot at a wedding reception from 7:00pm in a low dim/dark room?!
How can I get the best photos? Using the inbuilt flash is so bright and would constantly be going off? And also wanted to try amd get candid photos to and with the flash that would be impossible?
Please can anyone help at all.
Thank you so much

I don't mean to be cruel, but you need the gear for the job and you need the experience of using it. This even is a one off, cannot be reshot if you mess it up. This is why professional photographers are hired - we have the gear, the experience and we know what to do when things go wrong in our chosen fields.

Best of luck if you decide to try and shoot it, but you are taking a massive risk.

Wander around your own house and with the camera on auto, shooting stuff at the same time of day and similar conditions as you think will be prevailing at the venue. Check the result and either back out or go for it.
The camera on auto has more skill than you obviously do, so simply trust it and make a call.

Steve

Back