Dipper & Grey Wagtail

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my best Dipper to date (IMO) and it's nice to see progress over a couple of years when I was only getting images taken from high on a bridge at 30m away. Thanks to the likes of Neil B for providing the quality of postings to give me something to aim for.(y)

10265379_786690758017335_2576328140259043510_o.jpg

There is hardly much of a crop involved at all (original is only taken down to 4500x3000) and although this isn't the 'perfect shot', I think I've got the exposure balance between the dark and white about right? Lots of feeding going on at the nest just now, so it's hard to get a shot without food in the beak. I haven't decided if that adds interest or detracts yet - thoughts on this? Please, please, please say exactly what you want to in terms of critique (trolls excepted) - anything to make me think more before pressing the shutter or choosing my spot.(y)

Looking back at my dippers over the past couple of years I think it's getting there now.....! I've got a comfy spot within a few meters of the nest, but it's a bit of a trek to get there and of course, it needs good light/weather so it's not a daily homage. There's currently Grey Waggies at the same spot, so it can be a bit of a dual purpose visit.

8032279736_af46b6ef9e.jpg
8060510058_18c8e2035a.jpg

The Grey Wagtails are harder to get to and they are less keen on somebody crawling about the rocks.

10286942_786690804683997_390470268236701603_o.jpg

I was amazed at just how much food could be collected in a single session.

1493359_786690851350659_8235930938764222479_o.jpg

Again, constructive critique welcomed. (y)

Last edited:
Hi John ,its all about what you want from your shots as well,now i can see what you were looking at (without stating the obvious) in the shot on the branch sticking out of the water,OK its near as damn it central but it as more apeal to me than the one on the rock,the rock does seem to be a bit to dominent,the branch shot to me is a nicer image , me i get a bit hung up on getting close ,as i always believed habitat distance shots were just a excuse for not getting close to your subject,and not everyone can and your story behind the shots helps me judge the shot on the merit it deserves....PS John i am viewnig on a works laptop at te moment and can only see two images if their are more its not that i have a opinion on them its i cant see them,i get a little box saying img with a x on .....

Last edited:
OK its near as damn it central but it as more apeal to me than the one on the rock,the rock does seem to be a bit to dominent,the branch shot to me is a nicer image
I think we will have to differ on this Den. The old shot on the branch is poorly exposed, has blown whites and is framed very badly IMO. I'm happy if it appeals to you, but I've used it as an example of where I used to be, in terms of what I though was good at the time. I certainly wouldn't post that shot on here today. In fact, I'm almost embarrassed that I once thought it was worth showing, but that's what TP is about for me! TBH, I'm surprised folks didn't give more harsh crit at the time. Perhaps if they had, it wouldn't have taken me so long to improve!!;)

Sorry John not all the images are showing om my laptop,and i just commenting on the two shots that are showing,just checked on my phone and i can see the top one,will have a look when i get home

#1 is superb Dennis. For me, the food adds interest. The two grey wagtails are also exceptional, and keepers, for me. Well done. :clap:

I see them now John, yes the whites look good on the Dipper,i was commenting on the only two shots I could see at the time,now I understand your reply,not the easiest to expose for and I like I soft high white cloud day for trying to get shots of the dippers ,very similar with the wagtails but you need a high shutter speed to the tail to beak sharp as it never staops moving .

Good work getting so close. Detail on the first one is super and the colours on the last wagtail image are great..

#1 is superb Dennis. For me, the food adds interest. The two grey wagtails are also exceptional, and keepers, for me. Well done. :clap:

Sorry.......John! :withstupid:

Back