Dirty Camera!!

Edit My Images
No
i just found out that my camera (canon 450d) has a few dust spots (apparently on the sensor) now anyone know how much will it take to get rid of them? at say jessops or somewhere or if it is even worth worrying about?

3909476904_eba9fc0394_o.jpg

I think the rocket blower is supposed to clear out must dust on the sensor, worth a try?

i have tried the in-built camera sensor cleaner about 10times. but it does nothing!

You should see my sensor, I might make a new thread when I get the picture I have at home of mine. I'd say it was the worst I've ever seen.

i have tried the in-built camera sensor cleaner about 10times. but it does nothing!

Rocket blower first.
Then swabs and fluid.
If you are not confident using swabs and fluid perhaps try Lenspen Sensorklear (works a treat for me).
The built in sensor clean wont help with stubborn, sticky dust particles.
Final option is to pay for a sensor clrean.

I'd try the rocket blower but don't expect miracles.

Personally I just leave my 40D sensor alone now since it's rarely shot stopped down enough to see the dust and IMO the risk of sensor damage through cleaning far outweighs any benefit it might bring...

The rocket blower should get most of it off but some particles can be stubborn and you have to resort to a manual wet clean, or just use the spot healer in photoshop like I do for the one or two that remain.

The old saying "prevention is better than the cure" holds well once you do get it clean, I regularly clean mine during lens changes with the rocket blower.

and IMO the risk of sensor damage through cleaning far outweighs any benefit it might bring...

IIRC it is not actually the sensor that would be cleaned... :shrug:

It is much easier than you think to get rid of those particles using the Rocket Blower followed up by fluid wipes if necessary... ;)

There is also a tutorial thread on the forae HERE showing just how to do it... :D

:p

just ordered the rocket blower, is it safe to blow directly into the sensor?

just ordered the rocket blower, is it safe to blow directly into the sensor?

Yes, as said above the sensor has a hard cover -- obviously don't touch it though as this could make your cleaning job a lot worse.

...and check there's no obvious dust around the mirror area that you might blow onto the sensor making the problem worse. If there is clean that out first.

I would recommend using the rocket blower. Then if this is only for amateur use, run the dust-delete function and see whether that is good enough for you.

There are some good tutorials around. But also, if you search the forum, there are many, pictures, of when it goes wrong.

I reckon with a rocket blower you can probably get rid of most of those spots

(but this comes from someone who is too scared to try a sensor swab. I got an arctic butterfly, and used this instead as a compromise).

IIRC it is not actually the sensor that would be cleaned... :shrug:

It is much easier than you think to get rid of those particles using the Rocket Blower followed up by fluid wipes if necessary... ;)

There is also a tutorial thread on the forae HERE showing just how to do it... :D

:p
Well, you'd be cleaning the anti-aliasing filter which, while no doubt cheaper to replace than the whole sensor, would still be a costly and time consuming problem if scratched.

In my experience fluid wipes just tend to move the dust around, but fair play if it works for you.

If I shot everything at f/22 then I might be bothered, but since I rarely go smaller than f/8 (and most stuff's usually shot close to wide open) I don't notice any dust..

One of the 1st things I learnt to do when I bought the 20D, moons ago, was how to clean the sensor, yes use a rocket blower, also use a sensor brush and sensor wipes.

Sensor brush and wipes from visibledust, straight forward and easy thing to do, as rocket blower will not remove everything.

As for the dust removal system on these new camera's, I thought it was a gimmick when it was first introduced and still think it is today, ok it might remove dust off the sensor for awhile, obviously not in this case, but it doesn't get rid of it, the dust is still inside the camera, awaiting major cleaning bill. Would rather do it myself.

Back