Discharged batteries and airport scanners?.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if anyone else had any experience like this.

I just got back from a flying visit to the uk for my grand daughters christening. I have a d5100 with meike grip and two en-el14 batteries I fully charged both batteries before I left and as it was a quick visit I didn't bother to take my charger. The trip entailed two flights one from Dalaman to Istanbul then Istanbul to London.

When I got to the Uk on the friday I tried to use the camera and at first I got an incompatible battery message but then this went away and took a few photos.

I went to switch it on on the Sunday and there was nothing not even the green light came on. I removed the meike grip in case that was the problem but still nothing on either battery.

I returned last night and charged one of the batteries and this morning put it back in the camera and it sprung into life.

So I can't explain what has happened did the putting the camera through the scanners at the airports affect them? Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them.?

I was a bit surprised to find there are some stories on the web about this happening but not had it happen to me. Until recently I flew about a dozen times a year for about four years and never had a problem.

Dave

I
you shouldnt let the batteries fully discharge, it can drastically affect life.

airport scanners would not have affected them.
i didn't let them they were fully charged before I got on the plane(s) when I tried to use them they were fully discharged, trying to understand why.

one is about two years I think the other is around 18 months. I am just wondering if going through four scanners in very short time could be the reason. To be honest I am just relieved it was not something more serious.

Just done 8 flights in November this year and airport scanners had no affect on my batteries

Were they in hold or hand luggage? If in hold, I wonder if they got cold and that affected them? Can't see that airport scanners would have any affect at all, if they did it would be more than an isolated few cases reported.

They were in my hand luggage, I thought it may be the grip and took it off and inserted each battery in turn but neither had any power. I have now charged both batteries on my return and both are now working normally as is the grip.

I have taken them on flights before without a problem the only thing different this time was that I had a connecting flight so my hand luggage was scanned twice in Dalaman airport and twice in Istanbul airport in the space of about 4 hours.

Are they genuine Nikon batteries or 3rd party ones?

Did you have the protective caps over the contacts?

I have a Meike grip and it has occasionally drained the batteries even when the camera was switched off.
It seems to be a fairly common problem and one theory I came across is dirty contacts between the grip and the body so by removing and refitting the grip you may have 'fixed' it which is why it's now behaving normally.

Sorry John, I did read the earlier posts that said they were in the grip but my brand ignored the memory! I think Wozzaaah's explanation probably has the answer.

Thánks wozzaaah, when it has happened to you did they completely drain.

Yes, both completely flat and it really puzzled me as I knew it had only been used for a few shots since putting them in.
Thought my camera was broken at first then popped in two fresh batteries and away it went.
How long had they been in the grip before you tried to use it?

I charged them up two days before I flew so it was under three days between fully charged and completely flat.

Another thought, where did the genuine batteries come from? I know there have been fakes sold as genuine via eBay and probably elsewhere.

I charged them up two days before I flew so it was under three days between fully charged and completely flat.
That sounds pretty much like my own experience, used it for a few shots and mine were flat the next time I used them which I think was about 3 or 4 days later.
Have a look on google, you'll see it's very common.

Back