DIY Camera Bag

Edit My Images
Yes
Right, a bit of an odd thread, not of the norm. But I can't afford to buy a big camera bag but will be needing one for safari as hand luggage on the plane, too. So...Today I bought a hiking bag and 2 foam camping mats[to cut to size and make padding/dividers] Now, my main problem is, STUPID STUPID ME :bang::bang:<<< doing that all afternoon is that whilst checking EVERY other aspect of the bag[including looking inside] I didn't really register that this bag, bein a hiking bag is one when there the opening is at the top, in a drawstring type style - this is proving the structure of the making very hard, as I can't have anything lying down, because then when I put the bag on my back it all falls out the compartments!!

I was just wondering if anyeone had some tips on what to do? I can post pics of the bag and type of design I want, too, if it helps?

:ty:

I use foam-padded plastic boxes (everything from food containers to under-bed storage boxes) inside normal looking bags. Not the quickest way of working, but very good protection from impacts and the wet. Might work OK for you, but may be uncomfortable against your back.

Oooh, will try and see how I can encorporate that into the bag. So do you cut the containers at all, or do you basically shut lenses and bodies inside plastic tupperware?

I'm just thinking that the super-telephoto I'm hiring for my holiday won't exactly fit in a tupperware container of any sort....?

Thanks!

Smaller items, prime lenses and bodies can go in sandwich and salad boxes. Longer lenses I generally keep in cases within larger storage boxes.

The only containers I cut are from <gulp> 20 years ago, when square section containers were difficult to buy but space-efficient for packing in bike panniers, and there was a liquid clothes detergent bottle that the base of one could form the lid for another.

Hmmm, will see if there are any containers lurking round big enough to store some of the lenses and thinngs I'll need. Thanks!

Also having a route throug things to see if I can find a bag I've already got, so I can use that, cos that's MUCH easier to pad/use.

if its just for flights - wrap in clothes as when you re on safari it will either be in use or stored in the room i guess.

what lens are you hiring, it may have its own protective pouch?

I'm hiring the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 but it's packed weight in the case is more than hand luggage allowance, so that's why I'm hoping to make my own, slightly lighter, yet protective case.

I'd rather not have anything wrapped in clothes as I want it all with me on the flight, and not in the hold/somewhere it can get lost!!

I'm hiring the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 but it's packed weight in the case is more than hand luggage allowance, so that's why I'm hoping to make my own, slightly lighter, yet protective case.

I would suggest that this is a very bad idea.:eek:

i didnt mean in the hold i meant rather than 'padding' a rucksack, use some clothes as the padding whilst traveling.

To be brutally frankly blunt, I reckon if you can afford to go on safari then you can afford a proper camera bag. Buy one. Your expensive camera kit will thank you for it. It's a false economy to do otherwise.

I would suggest that this is a very bad idea.:eek:
What is a very bad idea and why?
To be brutally frankly blunt, I reckon if you can afford to go on safari then you can afford a proper camera bag. Buy one. Your expensive camera kit will thank you for it. It's a false economy to do otherwise.

SORRY, really peed off with this remark, and is the second time now someone has said this on here. I am not paying for the trip, it is my sister's 21st and my mother is paying, we are going as a family. My funds and my parents funds are two different things entirely. And I AM NOT going to get into my personal life on an open forum thankyouverymuch!!!!!!:bang::thumbsdown:

Actually, no, I'm NOT sorry!

how much packaging is round the lens? im assuming you hoping to add a camera to it as well which will put you over the limit wont it?(not including the bag/drinks etc)

My main worry is just the big lens, right now. But I can put a camera on without acting like I have too much weight. My mother is willing and has offerd to take rest of my equipment as she'll only have a magazine etc.

This is also why I DONT WANT to buy an expensive, large bag, cos when I don't have the hired lens, my stuff will be swamped in a very large bag, and it's useless.

The amount of packaging can be as little or much as I want, I'm using foam mats, and have 4m of it, so can wrap, and wrap again if need be.

guessing from the description you need a way to make the lens pass on its own as someone elses hand luggage with the camera in yours?

what about risking the 120-300 in its case as someones hand luggage and hoping they don't mind?

SORRY, really peed off with this remark, and is the second time now someone has said this on here. I am not paying for the trip, it is my sister's 21st and my mother is paying, we are going as a family. My funds and my parents funds are two different things entirely. And I AM NOT going to get into my personal life on an open forum thankyouverymuch!!!!!!:bang::thumbsdown:

Actually, no, I'm NOT sorry!

Settle down. I don't give a stuff about your personal life and no one here was enquiring about your personal life. All I'm saying is that I think that it's a mistake to wrap expensive photographic kit in a sock or some kind of cobbled together makeshift camera bag. Purpose made bags will protect your delicate and expensive electronic and glass hardware far better and are a worthwhile purchase. You can buy such a bag for twenty or thirty quid.

But if you think otherwise - carry on, feel free, on you go, do it.

You really think I'm going to Put any of my equipment owned or not, in anything less than a secure structure?? I'm not STUPID!
And, actually, a bag the size I will need, for this lens and my other equipment[for when NOT at the airport] is actually £80+

David, The only thing is, I've never flown with virgin, the weight issue SHOULDNT be a problem if I'm a KG over, but the case the 120-300 comes in is gonna have a packed weight of almost 7kg[limit for virgin is 5kg] but the other thing is, it's bigger size wise than what they allow for hand luggage.

I can always leave it til a couple of days before we leave[when the lens arrives] and see if I can figure out something else. Hence me making one now so that it's at least ready if needed

What is a very bad idea and why?

A large expensive lens comes supplied with a case designed to protect it. You want to take this out of its protective case and make your own lightweight packaging. You've already told us that your initial attempt resulted in all your gear falling out of the 'protective' packaging.

I doubt that you understand the requirements in terms of impact and shock protection. I very much doubt that you know the properties of the materials used to make the case and you intend to improvise.

In my opinion, DIY packaging like this is a very bad idea.

At the very least you should read very carefully the terms of the hire agreement and insurance.

The only thing is, I've never flown with virgin, the weight issue SHOULDNT be a problem if I'm a KG over, but the case the 120-300 comes in is gonna have a packed weight of almost 7kg[limit for virgin is 5kg] but the other thing is, it's bigger size wise than what they allow for hand luggage.

Depends what class you're flying, and how full the flight is.

I fly Virgin whenever possible because I've found them to be the most flexible and helpful when travelling. Just don't take the P! If you're calm and polite, they'll allow you on if they've got the space.

If you're concerned about cabin baggage, spread the load amongst family and friends. The check-in staff will do a visual check first, and only if it looks borderline, will ask you to have it weighed / sized.

The other way is to do online check-in
Go to the bag drop without the lens in tow (you'll need to split the group to do this, or have a non traveller with you)
Drop your checked bags
Go collect the lens before going through security

Just spotted your comment about the packed lens being too big for the baggage allowance.

How big is the case for this lens? The lens is about 27cm long and 12cm across.

Baggage allowance is 23 x 36 x 56 cm which is at least double the lens dimensions, and that would be a MASSIVE overkill case.

The other way is to do online check-in
Go to the bag drop without the lens in tow (you'll need to split the group to do this, or have a non traveller with you)
Drop your checked bags
Go collect the lens before going through security

we always do this to get round weigh in. Its a good idea, not fool proof but can work.

so a question, what happens if you are over weight? Just a thought to check with the airline carrier to say you have a fragile peice of equipment that you need to take onboard with the rest of your personal belongings but might take you over you weight allowance. See if they can give you some prior aproval rather than risking it on the day.

What I did many moons ago was buy a largish rucsack, then I made a simple box shape out of very sturdy cardboard (theres better stuff around these days) this was made with a long (or deep) compartment on both sides for a long lens and in the middle there was room for two bodies with standard lens (stacked one above the other) I lined these spaces with foam and then wrapped the whole thing in a bin bag all taped neatly up to the top.
I's drop a long lens in one side, 2 medium lens in the other with a bit of foam as a devider and a brace of bodies with 50mm and 28mm in the middle again seperated with foam, a few more chunks of foam on top and job done.
It lasted for a few years and survived a dip in a river (the bin bag saving it) total cost was a few pounds at the time.
Just one small point if your hiring a lens make sure the insurance will cover it if your going abroad.

You've already told us that your initial attempt resulted in all your gear falling out of the 'protective' packaging.

I said it WOULD, with what I've made so far, It was when I just spotted the type of bag. So nothing has fallen out, or been properly made just yet :)

we always do this to get round weigh in. Its a good idea, not fool proof but can work.

so a question, what happens if you are over weight? Just a thought to check with the airline carrier to say you have a fragile peice of equipment that you need to take onboard with the rest of your personal belongings but might take you over you weight allowance. See if they can give you some prior aproval rather than risking it on the day.

If we're overweight, I and my mother will split cost however much itll be, for having an overweight bag, I will not allow any of my equipment to go into the hold.

What I did many moons ago was buy a largish rucsack, then I made a simple box shape out of very sturdy cardboard (theres better stuff around these days) this was made with a long (or deep) compartment on both sides for a long lens and in the middle there was room for two bodies with standard lens (stacked one above the other) I lined these spaces with foam and then wrapped the whole thing in a bin bag all taped neatly up to the top.
I's drop a long lens in one side, 2 medium lens in the other with a bit of foam as a devider and a brace of bodies with 50mm and 28mm in the middle again seperated with foam, a few more chunks of foam on top and job done.
It lasted for a few years and survived a dip in a river (the bin bag saving it) total cost was a few pounds at the time.
Just one small point if your hiring a lens make sure the insurance will cover it if your going abroad.

This is basically what I'm trying to do, the bag I have bought is large, I have cardboard and foam mat, and bubble wrap I can use. I was gonna make a 'tunnel' in the middle for the long lens and then 'compartments' round the edge for the rest of my stuff.
I'm going to persevere with this unless absolutley necessary not too.

I can't rem the size of the casing, all I know is when I matched it up to Vigin's guidelines it was a bit larger...

Honestly, just get some other bag, pad it with socks and shirts, and go at it.
If you pack it well enough, there's really no difference between a pro bag and a DIY bag. All it is is padding. The pro bags just have it already made for you and velcro in convenient places.

As for your rant, it didn't need to be such a backlash. You could have simply explained, "someone else paid for the trip". And people would leave you alone instead of having to TYPE IN CAPS and get angry at people.

Tamrac Expidition 7 will hold that lens with a body attached.British airways allow it as hand luggage.

The under-bed storage boxes are approximately 60 x 40 x 20cm, so just a bit too big for the baggage allowance. The smaller, deeper boxes are, well, too deep.

I agree that packing with clothing can be OK, but you'd want at least 15cm all round each item if the case is likely to be thrown around or dropped. That's in a rigid outer, not a padded bag. Likewise, don't trust the protection offered by the supplied case in all circumstances.

If several items are packed together, use rigid dividers if the case is likely to be placed with the wide face vertical. Otherwise, keep the case laid flat.

I support your concept. I havent found any camera case particularly suited to outdoor activities.

I tend not to use a proper camera bag unless its a really tame location. I have all my lenses in lens cases, usually with cheap sleeping mat material - from Blacks or somewhere as additional padding. These items then go in a proper rucksack, along with the additional clothes, food etc required for the activity I am undertaking. If you wanted to keek the items together in some sort of format you coud use tape, string, velcro straps, shock cord etc.

Berghaus do a 40 litre suitcase style rucksack that is the right size for carry on, includes away rucksack straps and rollers. You wouldnt want to carry it up a serious hill, but would seem a good choice for safari. Its obviously a tourist rucksack, but not obviously full of camera gear.

I can't rem the size of the casing, all I know is when I matched it up to Vigin's guidelines it was a bit larger...

Is it twice the length of the lens?

I'd love to see a photo of the case and lens together. The lens ships with a semi rigid padded case, and if it's this one, it's only about 2-3 cm on the dimensions.

Or have you transposed cm's for inches?

Back