Do I go digital

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I've got a right mish-mash of equipment bought over the years. In general use my Canon F1N with Tamron SP90 +2x SP t/c for 1:1 macro work and a Bronica ETRSi for landscapes. I also have an EOS1N and an EOS3 for general snapping. All are IMHO great cameras :) but the technology is good enough now to make me consider diving into the digital pool. :| Also, zoom lenses with what were once considered un-do-able focal ranges outperform the old fixed length lenses of the 1980s. For that reason I am giving consideration to a Canon EOS5D mk2. Every reviewer seems to love it but is it really worth it? Technology advancement on dSLRs seems to be slowing now. OK, the 50Mp sensor may be here in 2 years but isn't that overkill? Low light performance is still quite poor with digital cameras and I see the 5D's performance when pushed isn't that great. Or do I stick with film until they stop selling it?!

"Can open, worms everywhere"....

For me, I'd say go digital. OK, so it doesn't have the dynamic range that film offers (at least not yet) but the advantages for me far out way the disadvantages of 35mm film.

I never thought 35mm film was ever that good (especially when compared to medium format), true there were some iconic images taken using it, but they have been about the subject matter rather than the technology, and the same can be said about digital.

Digital will continue to evolve.

Interesting question.

I sold my digital gear (nikon d300) and went 5x4 instead. I just couldnt stomach spending 5k on a camera and glass when I could have better results for 20% of that. Ok, the ongoing costs are higher, but now that I dont shoot professionaly I dont really mind.

A good scan of a MF negative or Transparency is still going to outresolve any of the dSLR's.

so, pro's of switching to digital;

Instant feedback
portability
cleaner images (no grain and very low noise up to iso 800 etc)
No darkroom work required
No scanning required

Cons;

Price
High battery drain
Dynamic range
Having to buy into a whole new system
Whole new skill-set to learn re: post capture processing
Lots of storage required and at least one back up

I'm sure there are others.

I guess it depends what, and how much you shoot.

Have you had a borrow on somebodies yet? Or tried any out in a shop?

As soon as I bought my first digital camera (1.3 mpx!) I realised the mch greater potential, and sold my Canon A1 and T90. I used to do my own colour darkroom work and it could take an evening to get one decent print, and even then the quality wasnt as good as digital now.

Sell the film and go digital!

Sell the film and go digital!

Do the reverse of what he said!

That's the problem with asking for advice. You get everyone's opinion. Just do what you think you want to do. If it doesn't work out, you can try something else.

Steve.

Is it compulsory to do one or the other? :naughty:

Your existing kit is bought and paid for presumably. It's also worth an awful lot less than you probably think if you come to sell it. If you want to try digital, buy a 5dII and give it a go - they hold their value well enough to be able to recoup most of the cost 6 months on if you don't get on with it. Then you have the option to do either, as the situation suits - if it's a job that needs a 1 day turnaround of work, or 200 meet and greet handshake shots for the next day, use the digitial. If it's a go out the previous evening to a hilside and bivi out waiting for the sunrise just to take the perfect single frame - take the Bronica.

I've got both digital and 35mm film kit, and find myself doing exactly what i've just described. I'm also not about to give up either for the foreseeable future.

Why do you need to go without film to 'go digital'? You could just buy a cheap(ish) digital camera and see if you get on with it. If you do you can mortgage the ranch on 'new' kit - if not you have not lost much (if at all if you buy carefully)

Personally I like film but I also like the convenience of digital. So I think my current 'ideal' is some pocket digital camera but I might be swayed by some 4/3's kit - just to play with lenses (and the 7-14's are at least w-i-d-e!). But every time I think about splashing out some other piece of tinsel is announced so I end up waiting - then another comes along.....;)

As a hardcore film user (mainly Kodachrome/Fuji slides), I held out against going digital longer than most.

The things that finally did it for me were:

Cost of getting a film developed and scanned on to CD-ROM

Reading a glowing review of the Canon 5D - and in particular the fact that it had a full-frame sensor (being used to 35mm film I didn't like the idea of crop sensors)

So I sold off my film gear and got a Canon 5D, 24-70L, 70-200L and 50 mm f/1.4

I was delighted with the results I got with it - lovely rich colours, noise at higher ISOs not dissimilar to film grain.

I've now moved up to a 5D mk II :nuts:

(I shoot more now than I ever did with film, so I like to think that the money I've saved on developing has paid for the camera :) )

A.

Is it compulsory to do one or the other? :naughty:

Your existing kit is bought and paid for presumably. It's also worth an awful lot less than you probably think if you come to sell it. If you want to try digital, buy a 5dII and give it a go - they hold their value well enough to be able to recoup most of the cost 6 months on if you don't get on with it. Then you have the option to do either, as the situation suits - if it's a job that needs a 1 day turnaround of work, or 200 meet and greet handshake shots for the next day, use the digitial. If it's a go out the previous evening to a hilside and bivi out waiting for the sunrise just to take the perfect single frame - take the Bronica.

I've got both digital and 35mm film kit, and find myself doing exactly what i've just described. I'm also not about to give up either for the foreseeable future.

Hear, hear. ;)

Go digital. There is a film eos1 for sale locally. Its immaculate and they only want a few hundred pounds. I wonder whether I should buy it but then ask my self why on earth I would want to shoot film again

stew

Go digital. There is a film eos1 for sale locally. Its immaculate and they only want a few hundred pounds. I wonder whether I should buy it but then ask my self why on earth I would want to shoot film again

Which is why it needs to be your decision. I never want to shoot digital again and Stew (above) doesn't want to shoot film again.

Neither of us are wrong, we are both right for our own needs (and opinions).

Steve.

Somebody please correct me- but I thought the highest ISO that film was rated to was approx 3200?

I'd love to see a picture taken with pushed 3200 film - even just 3200 film V a D3 image at the same ISO. I have no regrets about switching to digi - in fact I longed for the day I could get out of the darkroom. Stress levels with digital are also a lot lower because you know you've got the shot before you pack up and go home. Used to scare me a bit when they tore down sets and sent the models home and I had to go and process film to make sure everything was OK. I much prefer working with digital. :)

Stress levels with digital are also a lot lower because you know you've got the shot before you pack up and go home.

For you perhaps. I like not knowing exactly what's on the film until I can develop it.

Steve.

Just my tuppence worth.

Pick up a relatively cheap 2nd hand digital body and have a play for a while. Keep the film kit for FF work (for the time being) and go the whole hog to (FF) digital if you feel the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Back