Do I just have to use a sony battery?

Edit My Images
No
May seem a silly question but am looking at getting a back up battery for my new sony camera. The blurb says I must only use Sony batteries as others may do bad things. Thing is the Sony ones are quite expensive and there are cheaper versions about but are they ok to use?

Does your source for these cheap batteries specifically state that they will work with your camera or are you talking generally about cheap replacement batteries? I ask this because Sony make an Infolithium brand of battery which prevents third party replacements from working. I don't know if your camera uses this type or what I would call normal batteries.

I've bought about 12 cheap batteries off ebay for my Canons over the past 5 years and all but one is still going. Manufacturers will always scare you in to using their own ripoff batteries.

I ask this because Sony make an Infolithium brand of battery which prevents third party replacements from working. I don't know if your camera uses this type or what I would call normal batteries.
there is at least 1 manufacturer of cheap/generic batteries that works in Alphas. Of course if you were to have a problem & Sony became aware that you were using a non-Sony battery I would imagine that they could become antsy about warranty (I suspect that this would also be true of Canon, Nikon etc. for non oem batteries though).

You don't have to use Sony batteries (just like you don't have to buy a Ford battery for a Ford car), but the aftermarket camera batteries can be a bit hit-or-miss qualitywise. If Phottix (Ettefore on Ebay) do one then it'll probably be decent enough, I'm using one of their batteries in my D300 and it's fine.

I dont mean the really cheap ones from Hong Kong but ones at places like pixmania or 7day shop where they state they are a replacemt for the sony battery for example an Np Fm50type

I dont mean the really cheap ones from Hong Kong but ones at places like pixmania or 7day shop where they state they are a replacemt for the sony battery for example an Np Fm50type

You'll probably find that the really cheap ones from Hong Kong are the same ones sold at a higher price from places nearer home.

I think you'll be safe enough buying from either of those vendors.

Safe buying from Pixmania?? :puke: No way.

Care to elaborate - I've never had a problem with Pixmania.

i have used 2 batteries without fault from ebay on my 400D, I have 2 original canons for my 50D and on its way are a phottix grip and two other batteries. I wouldnt be too worried but i have heard stories suspecting third party batteries and grips for that matter.

Jacobs were selling genuine Sony np-fm500h batteries at Focus for £30.
You could always try contacting them & ask if they will do the same mail order etc. (obviously plus P+P).

Back