do i need a 50mm?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
When I bought my new body I also bought a AF-S 28-300, I thought it would be a good walkabout lens and I'm very happy with it except it's pretty heavy.

So I'd also like a fixed everyday lens and I'm thinking of a 50mm 1.4 .. or should I go for a 16-35 and accept the 28-300 will cover the same range ? or both ?

I also have a d7000 as a backup, and I plan to use the lenses on both bodys. At the moment I'm photographing most things, cars, landscapes, architecture etc

If both bodies are crop, you'd possible be better with something like 30mm or 35mm as a fixed everyday lens.

the advantage of having a fixed focal length is that the aperture opens wider e.g f1.4,f2, f2.8 etc etc so you can get some fantastically blurred backgrounds with your subject pin sharp etc.... the zoom lens probably go to around the f4 marker, whilst not bad doestn really compete overly well against the designated fixed focal length....

50mm /85mm are fantastic and favoured for portraiture etc.... I like to use a wider lens for vehicles so I use an 11-16mm lens...

Personally I think everyone should own a fast 50mm lens. If you don't need f/1.4 though, and it doesn't sound as if you do, save a few quid and buy the f/1.8 version instead.

thanks guys, so I'll get a 50mm and save for Nikon AF-S 16-35MM F/4G ED VR ?

When I bought the body, Nikon sent me £700 of vouchers, there's £40 off the 50mm f.14

Last edited:
Depending on the difference in price and your intended use, it may or may not be worth the upgrade to the f/1.4. I've owned the f/1.8 G and recently upgraded to the f/1.4 G. They're both about the same size. The build and handling is pretty much identical. The f/1.4 collects a bit more light and has a higher spec nine blade diaphragm, both of which are nice to have in some situations. The differences are small though.

...Given your camera bodies though you don't actually need the latest AF-S G versions. The D versions will work fine, as will the AF non-D versions. The full-time manual focus override on the latest versions is a really nice feature though.

thanks Munkee - although I'm a bit lost with your reply ... please could you explain a little more

my main body is a d800e (FX) the other d7000(dx)

I that case, you do need a 50mm. :D
It will be a great normal/all round lens in the FX and a great portrait lens in the FX. ;)

I can't recommend which 50mm though, as I use only Canon...

Last edited:
Sure. I got your thread confused with another one on a similar subject. The difference is though that the other poster had a D3200 body, which as you may know doesn't have a built-in focusing motor.

Unlike the D3200 your D800 and D7000 are fully backwards compatible with most if not all of Nikon's older AF lenses. So you've got a wider range of lenses to choose from, especially if you're considering buying second hand.

I owned an old 50mm AF f/1.8 lens for a while, which is pretty much identical to the D version but a slightly older model. It cost about £50 and it worked perfectly on my D700 and D7000. One feature the older AF lenses don't have is full-time manual focus override. With the AF-S lenses in M/A mode you can grab the focus ring at any time to make manual adjustments. I don't use this feature all that often but on occasion it does come in handy.

Munkee - thanks again. I've just sold a dx tramron 18-270, so I'll use that cash and the voucher for the 50mm f1.4 - that can be used on the 800 and the 7000 and save up for the 16-35, then I hope my lens buying will stop for the while. I've read the 50mm fx lens on the 7000 will make it longer than a 50mm (i'm not sure what the calculation is though)

Pita - thanks for your input too

Steve

Munkee - thanks again. I've just sold a dx tramron 18-270, so I'll use that cash and the voucher for the 50mm f1.4 - that can be used on the 800 and the 7000 and save up for the 16-35, then I hope my lens buying will stop for the while. I've read the 50mm fx lens on the 7000 will make it longer than a 50mm (i'm not sure what the calculation is though)

Pita - thanks for your input too

Steve

It's 1.5x or thereabouts.

Definitely get a prime like the 50 1.4G on the D800E. The 28G and 85 1.8G are two other lenses that shine on it.

Definitely get a prime like the 50 1.4G on the D800E. The 28G and 85 1.8G are two other lenses that shine on it.

thanks (y) - collecting the 50mm tonight, and having a play with a 16-35 and a 14-24 .. when the shop gets them in for me

50 crowd is out in force last night it seems.

35 reporting in. Get the 35mm f2D! Everyone should own a 35, as it works all the time, and focuses quite close. Unlike a 50, it is always usable as you can always step closer for tighter framing, but sometimes you can't step back.

There's a reason mobile phones are all at 30-35mm equivalent focal length.

50 crowd is out in force last night it seems.

35 reporting in. Get the 35mm f2D! Everyone should own a 35, as it works all the time, and focuses quite close. Unlike a 50, it is always usable as you can always step closer for tighter framing, but sometimes you can't step back.

There's a reason mobile phones are all at 30-35mm equivalent focal length.

If he is going to get a 35, surely the Sigma f/1.4 is the one to get?

OP complained about weight and size of zoom lens. 35/2 is small, light and just works.

of course, if price and weight isn't a concern, the Sigma f1.4 is a great choice.

If you found the 28-300 heavy, you're better to stick to very light lenses. As that's just average really. The Sigma 35mm 1.4 is a very nice lens, it's quite weighty for what it is, but it's neat, looks great and delivers the goods. I find it easy enough to hold in one hand for extended periods, like shooting a gig. As it's so well balanced, unlike some zooms around the same weight, which tend to dip forward because of their shape/size when extended.

Do I need a 50mm lens? Probably not....... I remember a time when cameras came with a 50mm prime, which was rapidly removed, thrown in the cupboard and forgotten in the rush to replace it with a zoom....:D
Yes, a prime lens in the right place and the right time can be useful, but people are tending to grant them mythical status, as if they're able to improve your photography - it's not the equipment that does that, it's the idiot driving the camera......:cool:

Do I need a 50mm lens? Probably not....... I remember a time when cameras came with a 50mm prime, which was rapidly removed, thrown in the cupboard and forgotten in the rush to replace it with a zoom....:D
Yes, a prime lens in the right place and the right time can be useful, but people are tending to grant them mythical status, as if they're able to improve your photography - it's not the equipment that does that, it's the idiot driving the camera......:cool:

I don't want to get into the whole zoom vs prime lens argument. There are already plenty of threads dealing with that. But the reason folks used to replace their kit prime lenses with zoom lenses once upon a time had more to do with fashion than anything else.

Better equipment won't improve the skills of the photographer. But better equipment clearly does enable a skilled photographer to produce better photos.

just to be clear, the 28-300 is almost 1kg, IMHO it's a super lens

I'm going to try the 14-24 and 16-35 at the w/e ... I'll report in my findings

... great forum (y)

Personally I think everyone should own a fast 50mm lens.

Including me, even though I don't want or need one?! :thinking:

Don't quite understand this fixation with 50mm lenses, I mean if it's to replicate the old 50mm lens on a film camera then, as most people have crop sensor cameras, surely a 30mm or 35mm lens would be more appropriate?

I do own a fast prime (Canon 28mm f1.8) but it's for use on a full frame 6D.

Including me, even though I don't want or need one?! :thinking:

Don't quite understand this fixation with 50mm lenses, I mean if it's to replicate the old 50mm lens on a film camera then, as most people have crop sensor cameras, surely a 30mm or 35mm lens would be more appropriate?

I do own a fast prime (Canon 28mm f1.8) but it's for use on a full frame 6D.

Surely you don't think I meant that literally?

I do think that 50mm is a very useful focal length on both crop and full frame camera bodies. And Nikon's 50mm primes are great value, as I'm sure are the equivalent lenses from many other manufacturers. Image quality from Nikon's entry level 50mm f/1.8 is as good as their 24-70mm professional zoom at 50mm but the prime costs about one tenth of the price and is much smaller and lighter. Plus the prime is much more capable in low light.

Is this the perfect lens for every situation? No of course not. But it is very useful in a wide range of different situations and great value for money.

If you do decide to get a 50 then go for the 50mm 1.8G

Half the price of the 1.4G, flares way less, faster to focus and has better sharpness and contrast. I got one and initially thought meh it's not any better than the 1.4G until I realised I was using it on a faulty D800

Since then I have re bought it and it is stellar performance for the money.

picked up the 50mm tonight, tried it on the 7000, nice, clear, simple lens, I'll try it on the 800 at the weekend, maybe some night shots.

the 7000 being dx .. makes it about 75mm.

the shop has the 14-24 in, but waiting for the 16-35 to do a side-by-side comparison

Last edited:
just to be clear, the 28-300 is almost 1kg, IMHO it's a super lens

I'm going to try the 14-24 and 16-35 at the w/e ... I'll report in my findings

... great forum (y)

It's 800g according to amazon. Another 200g would be adding more than the weight of a 50mm on top ;)

took the 50mm and the 28-300 to Salisbury today, there's an sculpture exhibition (until Sept).

I bought a 50mm for use on my D700 a few months back, after much deliberation. Despite what you read on forums, not as many people actually have a 50 as you may think, as it's a bit of an odd focal length by modern standards as we are all so used to the wide angle field of view on the kit lenses that come with most dslr's, CSC's and also the lenses on compacts and phones tend to be wider.
That said, once you get used to taking a few steps further back from what you're used to, it's a nice lens to use. Have to say though, I think I prefer the 35mm focal length, and am considering the Sigma 35mm F1.4 as an upgrade to my Nikon 35mm F2.

I bought a 50mm for use on my D700 a few months back, after much deliberation. Despite what you read on forums, not as many people actually have a 50 as you may think, as it's a bit of an odd focal length by modern standards as we are all so used to the wide angle field of view on the kit lenses that come with most dslr's, CSC's and also the lenses on compacts and phones tend to be wider.
That said, once you get used to taking a few steps further back from what you're used to, it's a nice lens to use. Have to say though, I think I prefer the 35mm focal length, and am considering the Sigma 35mm F1.4 as an upgrade to my Nikon 35mm F2.

Not sure about that, pretty much every photographer I know has a 50mm of some description or another.

I admit to being a bit of a fan. I have had 3 x 50mm f/1.4g's, 4 or 5 x 50mm 1.8d's and 1 x 50mm 1.8g.

Of the 50's I have owned the 50mm 1.8d is the best value. I think the cheapest I paid was around £40 used, you simply will not get another lens as good as this for that sort of money.

The 50mm 1.8g was the sharpest and had the quickest focus speed but being used to carrying around the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 vr2 I found it to feel a bit plasticky and toy like. I ended up not keeping it for long, even though it was a good performer and going back to a 50mm f/1.4g as I prefer the build of those and like the option of being able to use it at f/1.4.

In saying that the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is definitely on my wanted list along with a load of other gear I can't afford at the moment. :D

Back