Do these car shots work?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Just taken some shots for a mate of his Astra, just for fun really. Here are some of the most interesting shots from the set - what do you think? I make no apologies for the tonemapping - it's a black car...

#1:
mono_c_800.jpg

#2:
nearly_mono_c_800.jpg

#3:
low_3-4_c_800.jpg

I agree with the reflections , nice sharp shots but the car is picking up too much of the sky , very well polished car :)

OK - how might I best get the most out of a black car, in that case? I can go and do another shoot if you give me some good tips! :)

I'd try a shaded location, and use a polerisor filter. Black cars are really hard to shoot well so just experiment. Open area's are another place to try so there's nothin to reflect

Nice lawnmower (a Dean comment).

Take the car to a decent location. Fields don't work for cars.

Are the shots HDR'd? They don't have enough contrast.

Try the car on an overcast day with no direct sunlight, choose a location like a brick warehouse car park, green fields dont look right, you can also use a race track if you are near one.

HDR is good for cars but better if they have lighter colours than black.

Try the car on an overcast day with no direct sunlight, choose a location like a brick warehouse car park, green fields dont look right, you can also use a race track if you are near one.

HDR is good for cars but better if they have lighter colours than black.

First of all, almost no chance of getting access to a racing track unless you are a pro. I have worked my arse off to get access to tracks. I had a shoot of a GT3 at Brands which was a special favour of Jonathan Palmer to my client and I'm going to have a shoot at Goodwood in the next few weeks as a special favour from Lord March to my Client... If you can get access, let me know how :bonk:

Secondly, don't take a car to a car park. It's very unimaginative. I've been there, done that and there are better things to aim for. For instance, why not find an empty country road (if you've found a field, I'm sure you can find a country road).

Thirdly, HDR very rarely works for cars. Jamie Lipman is the only photographer I know who can make it work. Leave it to him and work on the basics. All the HDR has done in these shots is made the reflections worse and taken away all the blacks.

Back