Do you get lens hood in a kit?

Edit My Images
No
I bought a Nikon D5000 kit from a website. The box arrived well. Inside the big Nikon box, there are two three boxes inside. One for the camera body, one for the accesseries and the other one is the 18-55 kit lens. The lens is packed and protected well. However, I did not see any lens hood inside it.

Is it normal for the general kit lens? Well, it is cheap to find a replacement as it is a 52mm lens. I just feel it a little strange because isn't a hood a basic accessary for a camera lens?

What is your experience?

the basic kit lens doesnt come with a hood, i had 2 and never got one, the primes dont come with one either up to 50mm anyway, (dont own a 60mm) the 85mm does though

no. there is a (very small and poor) hood for the 18-55, but you don't get it with.

you can get copies on ebay for about $5 if you really want...it won't stop much flare, but will protect it a *bit* - not much though as it's pretty small.

every other nikon lens pretty much, you do get a hood for, none of the rubbish that canon do by only including them with L glass.

pretty much all zooms do come with one

There was a hood with Nikon 17-70mm, so I guess there should also one in the 18-55mm. yes it is cheap to get one and it is a cheap lens. I just do not want to pay for it.

does it? the old version didnt

ye i was on about non af-s wide primes :)

i bought a d50 kit about 18 months ago,no lens hood but it handled flare pretty well so no need realy.hth mike(y)

the basic kit lens doesnt come with a hood, i had 2 and never got one, the primes dont come with one either up to 50mm anyway, (dont own a 60mm) the 85mm does though

The AFS 50mm f/1.4G does (y)

Are you having a problem with flare? Do you want the hood as protection? There are some that screw into the filter thread that you can buy and attach.

the 'kit' lenses i've used never came with hoods - and for the lenses that did come with hoods, those have remained in the box ever since... i actually never use them :(

There was a hood with Nikon 17-70mm, so I guess there should also one in the 18-55mm. yes it is cheap to get one and it is a cheap lens. I just do not want to pay for it.

I agree, lens hoods really should be included as standard.
I know that with Canon that only the L series lenses are supplied with them.

I haven't got a clue about Nikon though?

I'd guess the only way you're likely to get any kind of lens hood for free is here LINK

OK, I know I've posted this slightly "tongue in cheek", but I'd guess that potentially they work just as well as the manufactures genuine article as far as reducing flare goes. But pretty useless in protecting the lens from impact damage! But if you just "do not want to pay for it" it's probably as good as you're going to get.

cheers

Back