Does it benefit from HDR

Name
stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I was out this morning to get some shots in the New Forest but the light was really bad first thing so I ended up at Hurst Spit. This is one of my attempts. I have run it through the trial version of Photomatix to see if an HDR finish improves it at all. Admittedly this is my first attempt at an HDR image so do not know if I have done it right. I would love to know what image you guys prefer and of course C & C is most welcome.

#1 Non HDR

lq1tkvjxvn.jpg

#2 HDR

n4aty4cd78.jpg

Stew

To me it doesnt benefit. The saturation in the sky/clouds, in particular on the left looks alot duller than the original.

Stick to the original, its a cracker! (y)

Not really no , its taken out the punch

Have you tried some dodging/lightning instead on the dark areas?

Good shot though

Is it the small res image or is it a bit soft?

Is it the small res image or is it a bit soft?

I dont know if I am resizing for best internet viewing. What I do is resize in PS. Image resize, check constrain proportions, check resample image, res 72 PP inch, bicubic sharper. The full size image is very crisp, but that 5616 x 3744. If you know a better way to resize for web I would appreciate the info.

Stew

The HDR version appears to have more detail in the dark areas but it loses out everywhere else to the non-hdr for me. Maybe run a light sharpen over the whole image to increase contrast slightly. But to be honest, I'd stick with the non-hdr and tweak that a little.
Lovely picture btw :)

I prefer the non-hdr version, Its a lot more punchy and has a great deal more contrast which really makes this image strong. The colours are also better in the non-hdr version.

I like HDR, but to be honest your original capture does not need it. Nice shot.

I agree totally with Gordon.

I'm a huge fan of HDR, but I was expecting something different.

But for once, I'd say the original doesn't need the HDR touch.

Great shot mate (y)

Cheers for the comments and advice. I have had another play with it today ( the photo that is ) and my original edit seems to be the one i keep choosing as my favourite.

Stew

Nope first is wayyy better but Photomatix will not owrk if it only has one pic to run try adjusting the exposures and saving each adjust ie do five from +2 to -2 if you use RAW save each one then upload them all into Photomatix and it will work then

What's wrong with having a few shadows in a shot? The original is great - the HDR just looks washed out, lacking contrast and just generally grey.

Nope first is wayyy better but Photomatix will not owrk if it only has one pic to run try adjusting the exposures and saving each adjust ie do five from +2 to -2 if you use RAW save each one then upload them all into Photomatix and it will work then

Yea thats what I did do, took 3 exposures. -2 0 +2

Stew

If you shoot in RAW you do not need to create the adjusted exposures.... if you only have the one image then open it in Photomatix with "file" "open" rather than using"Generate HDR". It will do the creation of alternative exposures for you and make a pseudo HDR image.

Back