Does this count as photography equipment?

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
It does to me!
I just picked up a '91 Mitsubishi Delica 4wd van as my "safari vehicle." Imported it to the USA from Japan (right hand drive). Ok, "safari" might be a bit of a stretch, but when I go out to photograph wildlife I sometimes end up in 2ft of snow or the middle of the backwoods. Plus, it will be nice to have a comfortable place to sleep.
Haven't taken any pics recently... been working on getting it all outfitted.

Delica.jpg

Wowza. I think you've done well there :D

I'm actually quite jealous. I hope you enjoy it :D

Does it fit in your camera bag :D

Trying to think of a joke about filters but it's too early.

Would be good to see some photos of the inside once it's finished and in use

Trying to think of a joke about filters but it's too early.

I was going to say there's some nice ND's on the windows there!

Awesome. I can't think of any (married) man I know who wouldn't be jealous, whether they are a photographer or not!

Needs a pair of truck horns on the top front! :p

Great van to head off into the wilderness with your camera gear and use it to bed down for the night without searching/paying for accommodation, it makes sense alright! Fantastic purchase there ok.

Enjoy...

Regards;
Pete

I prefer this shape as well... it's just a bit more "bulldog" looking. And I think it has the VW Westfalia type of look.
I'm loving all the 80's square edged Japanese stuff at the moment.

Cracking little van - and definitely counts as photography gear :)

I use a (self-built) camper myself. It even has a PC and long-range Wi-Fi built into it so I can edit whilst out and about.

So nice being able to crash out for a few hours here and there - hope you enjoy it

EDIT - Thought I'd add a pic. Bit bigger, but there are two of us and the Missus wanted a bathroom. Plus the dog of course.

DSC00998-3 by David Black, on Flickr

This was taken at a spot we sometimes stay the night at on the north Cornwall coast.

Last edited:
That's brilliant!! I though I had GAS issues having said that your in the USA where it costs more to buy a half Ltr of decent water! Will certainly beat a mini tent that's for sure! You kitting a bed for the back?

I use a (self-built) camper myself. It even has a PC and long-range Wi-Fi built into it so I can edit whilst out and about.

So nice being able to crash out for a few hours here and there - hope you enjoy it

EDIT - Thought I'd add a pic. Bit bigger, but there are two of us and the Missus wanted a bathroom. Plus the dog of course.

This was taken at a spot we sometimes stay the night at on the north Cornwall coast.
Nice! A bit more "refined" than I'm going though. :)

DSC00998-3 by David Black, on Flickr

Do you have a blog or anything of the build?

Tell me more about the long range wifi!

Yep, it's a bit out of date but here:
http://myselfbuildcamper.co.uk/

Regarding the Wi-Fi, there's a bit on the site, but I've upgraded it now to include a second antenna and wireless router.
You're welcome to drop me a PM if you need more, I'll try to help :)
Thank you. I have a caravan i've been meaning to look into something like this for a while.

You know, this thread is more dangerous than any of the camera and lens threads. I've wanted a campervan type thing for as long as I can remember but bizarrely most of my cars have been two seat roadsters and about as far from a Steven's Mitsubishi as it's possible to get, I've been looking on Autotrader last night and again today!

Actually can anyone help me with identifying the following? My GF hired this (and a driver) for cruising around Thailand and I loved it but I didn't look at the badge on the back and all I know is it's a Toyota and I haven't been able to find it on line. Not saying this is what I'm currently lusting after as to be honest I prefer the 4x4 Steven has but it'd be nice to know what it is...

Last edited:
It does to me!
I just picked up a '91 Mitsubishi Delica 4wd van as my "safari vehicle." Imported it to the USA from Japan (right hand drive). Ok, "safari" might be a bit of a stretch, but when I go out to photograph wildlife I sometimes end up in 2ft of snow or the middle of the backwoods. Plus, it will be nice to have a comfortable place to sleep.
Haven't taken any pics recently... been working on getting it all outfitted.

View attachment 75476
Now all you need is the paint job!
zebra.JPG

You know, this thread is more dangerous than any of the camera and lens threads. I've wanted a campervan type thing for as long as I can remember but bizarrely most of my cars have been two seat roadsters and about as far from a Steven's Mitsubishi as it's possible to get, I've been looking on Autotrader last night and again today!

Actually can anyone help me with identifying the following? My GF hired this (and a driver) for cruising around Thailand and I loved it but I didn't look at the badge on the back and all I know is it's a Toyota and I haven't been able to find it on line. Not saying this is what I'm currently lusting after as to be honest I prefer the 4x4 Steven has but it'd be nice to know what it is...

I think this is a Hiace super custom or grand cabin but with a few add ons.

It's a hiace. UK had a different hiace. We don't have the cab over designs like the have in Japan more the pitty.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks all. And the fact that the UK one is different explains why I couldn't find it on Autotrader.

Ah, thanks all. And the fact that the UK one is different explains why I couldn't find it on Autotrader.
You will find this shape if you search Toyota camper because the get imported although most go to OZ. Search all the Jap brands they all have very similar models in their home market.

That's outrageous!

Back