Dog Appreciation Thread, post your fave dog shots here...

Back in Oct 2022 in This Post

I lamented the loss of our rescue beagle Sadie and looked forward to the impending arrival of ‘Havana’ a rescue dog from Turkey.

Well after a long wait due to necessary bureaucracy ‘Havana’ joined us on wed 18th jan and brought a little friend with her ?

We had been in close contact with Havana's foster carer in Turkey for some time. We learned very late that this foster carer had another dog who was very closely bonded with Havana, and this dog ‘Lucy’ was available for adoption with the necessary bureaucracy already completed.

We made a very rapid (for us) decision that we would like to bring Lucy over with Havana.

This brilliant charity AFOT facilitated Lucy’s adoption at very short notice.

After a journey by road to the airport in Turkey, the dogs were flown to Amsterdam, then by road to the Hook of Holland and then Ferry to Harwich.
The last leg consisted of a 350 mile road trip to our door. At all stages our dogs were accompanied by volunteer AFOT members to care for and comfort the dogs.
Even so this must have been pretty traumatic for dogs that had very little experience with strangers / travelling etc etc, they had led a pretty insular life, far away from ‘ the madding crowd’ in the quiet village of Uzumlu.

Naturally, extremely anxious initially they are now very comfortable indoors with my wife and I. 'Home', they undoubtedly have accepted as their ‘safe place’ not so confident out walking around strangers and especially strange dogs yet but we certainly see progress.

They are wonderful affectionate dogs and we are ‘tickled pink’ that they are with us.

We are now once again almost permanantly covered in a thin veneer of dog hairs and frankly 'who cares' :D maybe it will help us keep warm with the heating a little lower than we would choose ?

Thanks for staying until the end, it got a bit ‘wordy’ didn’t it ?

I include some of my early pictures, I’m sure there will be many more.

P1006011_Havana%26Lucy-XL.jpg

P1006058_Lucy-L.jpg

P1006019_Havana_3-L.jpg

Last edited:
We took our two recent Turkish 'adoptees' Havana & Lucy to a 'secure field' recently. This is where you can let the dogs run free safely with no chance of escape. Great fun, loads of doggy 'toys' and climbing frames. Even a trailer to escape the cold wind and open our flask of coffee. I practised my video skills (badly needed) trying to discover my 'inner Steven Spielberg' I spliced a few short clips together and came up with this, just for fun.

Havana & Lucy run free

p.s Hope this video is not breaking any rules ?

Run Free fields are a great thing, we use them for obvious reasons! :D

We took our two recent Turkish 'adoptees' Havana & Lucy to a 'secure field' recently. This is where you can let the dogs run free safely with no chance of escape. Great fun, loads of doggy 'toys' and climbing frames. Even a trailer to escape the cold wind and open our flask of coffee. I practised my video skills (badly needed) trying to discover my 'inner Steven Spielberg' I spliced a few short clips together and came up with this, just for fun.

Havana & Lucy run free

Lovely to see them running about so happy!

Was down in Rockcliffe, Carlisle today and at about 9am we came across a very young black Cocker Spaniel running about the road on its own and absolutely soaked. I'm guessing she had escaped (pink collar) so stopped to try and catch her but couldn't get close enough. A few other locals stopped as well to try and help, but eventually we all had to give up and leave. Cars weren't really slowing down so I'm really hoping she ran off into the fields or something. :(

Back