Don McCullin at Imperial War Museum

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody been to the new Don McCullin exhibition at the Imperial War Museum? I'll almost certainly go tomorrow afternoon but just interested to hear views of anyone who has already been.

I'm not a big fan of his work but I'm just down the road and I never miss a chance to see an exhibition so I'll be dropping in at some point.

Well worth going to see. Some iconic shots and some disturbing one's too.

I didn't know much about Don McCullin, but watched a 30 minute filmed interview with him and he came across as a man with great humility. His job took him to the extremes of personal danger, but he expressed no sense of self importance about what he has achieved.

I should make the effort to go to this sort of thing more often.

He's at the IWM at 7pm on 18th with Kate Adie. £15 admission, which I'm sure will include the £7 admission for the exhibition. Might give that a go as well.

Go if you can - saw the exhibition in Manchester.......excellent.

He was interviewed for Radio 4 front row this evening - what an interesting guy(y)

Love his work,have most of his books.

Just pick up Perspectives,great essay in the back,well worth getting hold of.

OK - way too much money to get into london and back by train and takes far too long, so I'm thinking of going by motorbike.

Is there anywhere close I can park the bike and does the imperial war museum have a cloakroom?

It's too far/expensive for me just to visit the exhibition but I do go to London for business reasons occasionally, and it's on until next April, so I might get there. Hope I get the chance.

Sigh, by the time I'd got through to the museum today to enquire about cloakroom facilities the tickets for the Kate Adie/Don talk had all gone! :crying:

Sigh, by the time I'd got through to the museum today to enquire about cloakroom facilities the tickets for the Kate Adie/Don talk had all gone! :crying:

Thanks,i was just going to give them a call,hopefully he will do another one before its ends in April :)

Ah good to hear I'm thinking of picking it up/asking for it for x-mas. I'm never sure with books by photographers, reading Slightly Out of Focus was the final nail in the coffin in terms of how I felt about Robert Capa.

Ah good to hear I'm thinking of picking it up/asking for it for x-mas. I'm never sure with books by photographers, reading Slightly Out of Focus was the final nail in the coffin in terms of how I felt about Robert Capa.

I read Unreasonble Behavior,a very good read well worth it.

Went today, a good exhibition. Those that have already read his stuff probably won't see anything new, but still worth going if you have a interest.
The infamous bullet catching Nikon F is on display to.

Went yesterday, will do a blog post on it on the next day or two.

Leave yourself plenty of time as there's quite a bit to see.

Thanks.

Also last post on the matter (I promise) but I happened to be at Tate Britain yesterday and there's another retrospective of his work on there. Smaller, but free, and hardly any of it related to war, definitely worth a vist even if you intend on going to the other.

I can recommend Don McCullin book Perspectives,it cover his non war work,from his early days,to the later Landscape photos :)

I went on Tuesday night to see him in conversation with Kate Adie. I was so glad I went as I think he is truly inspirational, a great guy and I had a chat and he signed a book for me.
6261000284_5ac33ebc52_z.jpg

6260992238_72be025469_z.jpg

6260987768_62d24ac2e4_z.jpg

I was there too! (was the guy who asked him whether the internet would be the next place for pure journalism to flourish). He and Kate had some really insightful things to say about conflict journalism.

I was there too! (was the guy who asked him whether the internet would be the next place for pure journalism to flourish). He and Kate had some really insightful things to say about conflict journalism.

Would have love to have heard,what they both had to say about that :)

Back