Donegal International '08

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm quite new to talkphotography. This is a photo I took at the Donegal International Rally. C&C welcome.

donegal.jpg

I bet I like that a lot more than the driver did. Great capture and composition. Welcome.

Great sideways shot!.

A few comments about the technical side of things the focus appears to be more on the rear off the car so the front is slightly out of focus, it's by no means enough to ruin the shot and dont worry it happens to everybody (especially me!) A lower shutter speed would of captured a bit more motion blur giving everything just that little bit more drama as the wheels would be slightly more blurred and you would get the impression of speed a bit more.

Aside from those points I think it's an excellent shot, you've got a great low down persepective which I always find looks better than higher up head height ones. I generally try to get down level with the front bumper and if I cant get down low then I try to get up noticably higher than head height as I find it generally gets a more interesting photograph. I like the 2.33 crop too, I quite often crop my rally shots at a 2:1 ratio as I find a lot of the shots suit that aspect ratio. Im not sure why rally shots seem to look good at 2:1 ratio they just do!

Thanks Chris

Its hard to beat a mark 2 for sideways action shots...

Thanks mole2k

I took the advice of someone on here (maybe yourself) from a previous post to get a lower down perspective. I will have to improve how I focus on the car. Sometimes hard to know whether to use autofocus or to focus on a point on the road. Which do you do on most occasions? Where you from in north Ire? I'm from Markethill, Co. Armagh.

C & C very much appreciated,

Robert.

Thanks mole2k

I took the advice of someone on here (maybe yourself) from a previous post to get a lower down perspective. I will have to improve how I focus on the car. Sometimes hard to know whether to use autofocus or to focus on a point on the road. Which do you do on most occasions? Where you from in north Ire? I'm from Markethill, Co. Armagh.

C & C very much appreciated,

Robert.

Enniskillen in Fermanagh!

It quite possibly was me Im a bit advokate of low down perspectives. Generally for my rallying shots I use center point, AI Servo and try to aim the center point at the badge on the front of the car. Occasionally I switch to another point to use a different style of image such as using the extreme left point and using a portrait orientation with the car at the very bottom of the image.

I do find myself missing focus from time to time, usually it's user error because I let the point move off the front of the car. The canon L spec glass (70-200 f4L, 300 f4L) is fast enough to keep up with cars in nearly all situations i've tried.

Back