Dovestone Reservoir Surroundings

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Had a walk along one of the hills overlooking Dovestone Reservoir this morning. Planned to walk around the full length of the surrounding hills but ran out of time and only managed to do half.

Here are a few of what I feel are the best of the shots I took...

#1-Dovestone Reservoir Surroundings by NP UK, on Flickr

#2-Dovestone Reservoir Surroundings by NP UK, on Flickr

#3-Dovestone Reservoir Surroundings by NP UK, on Flickr

#4-Dovestone Reservoir Surroundings by NP UK, on Flickr

#5-Dovestone Reservoir Surroundings by NP UK, on Flickr

#6-Dovestone Reservoir Surroundings by NP UK, on Flickr

#7Dovestone Reservoir Surroundings by NP UK, on Flickr

The first photo , would be my pick of the bunch , it`s a lovely scene . The foreground interest really helps it along in my opinion . Unusual I feel for a square crop to work so well on a landscape too , well done .

Last edited:
The first photo is my favourite too. I agree with pretty much everything Lepus has said about it, particularly the foreground interest. So often that is missing and does take away from the overall composition for me. Unfortunate that the light was so flat, but that's what we've had most of this summer.

The first photo , would be my pick of the bunch , it`s a lovely scene . The foreground interest really helps it along in my opinion . Unusual I feel for a square crop to work so well on a landscape too , well done .
The first photo is my favourite too. I agree with pretty much everything Lepus has said about it, particularly the foreground interest. So often that is missing and does take away from the overall composition for me. Unfortunate that the light was so flat, but that's what we've had most of this summer.
Thanks guys.
Yes the light was a bit flat which is a shame, especially considering it was the polar opposite when I left Leeds at about 5:30am.
The trip served as a recce for future though as I'd never been up to the top before.

I really like the second last photo (no.6). The building has presumably been renovated and the clean brickwork is quite striking, yet it is still in keeping with the area. The extra compression from the slightly longer focal length helps separate the building but doesn't lose the background. The tree really adds some character, although a shame it is slightly cut off.

Perhaps a revisit once the building tools and material are away?

Back