Beginner Downhill MTB

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Went out shooting with a friend who is into his downhill mountain biking earlier in the year.
Here are a few of my favourites from the session.

Wide Angle Descent
by Simon Kitt Photography, on Flickr

Andy Lochhead
by Simon Kitt Photography, on Flickr

968933_524799410918298_1377684387_n.jpg

Feedback welcome

Last edited:
Viewing on a phone screen, but these look great to me. Love the first- it's bloody terrifying watching those guys belting it down through the trees like that!

I'm a keen Downhiller myself, and looking over these photographs, they seem very well executed. In particular number 1. As and when the season starts again and I get more Photography experience i'l begin to share my DH photo's. But great start I think

Thanks guys. Andy (the mountain biker) is currently waiting on a new bike for me to follow him out again.
Yeah I agree it is fantastic and terrifying to see the guys bombing about (especially when they decide to get close)
Thanks for the encouragement.

First shot for me Simon, very nice.

1) Find the rider too central to the shot, the flash not being powerful enough on the rider to really bring them out from the light background. Nice use of the curved tree on the left, but I find the light brown log in the front distracting...Had you been straight in front of the rider, may be would have given a better perspective to the shot, from 45 degrees, it doesn't work for me unless the rider is really leaning over..Another shot may have been getting the rider to come thru the trees on the right, right at you, if it's staged then they 'should' miss you...

2) could have cleaned his goggles, as bits in front of the eyes, he's not really dirty enough for that to be the focus of the image. may be adjust aperture to darken the background and really bring out the colours of his goggles and shirt

3) Dog + DH is a no no...can't see the point of this shot and loose dogs on the trails is very dangerous...

JB

I like number 1 but as blythieboy said, you should up the power on the flash a bit more to create more separation between the subject and the background

I really like 1 and 2 is a fantastic portrait.

What I'd do is a bit of dodge and burning on 1 to give a bit of lift in exposure to the biker, rather than everything all the same level which I feel loses the biker.

*Edit - oops didn't read the other posts but it looks like a few of us are all on the same page*

Back