Downhill Racing - More Added

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
A mate was competing in a downhill mountain biking race yesterday and asked me to come along and get a few shots.

All a wee bit samey as far as position goes as unfortunately as there was only one descent spot to shoot from.

Never done any kind of sports before so any feedback is appreciated!

Bikefest-0 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Bikefest-160 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Bikefest-80 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Bikefest-167 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Bikefest-153 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Bikefest-122 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice technical set, but I find the subject matter and compositions dull. It's just me, but it has all been done before. Others may disagree, of course.

Nice technical set, but I find the subject matter and compositions dull. It's just me, but it has all been done before. Others may disagree, of course.

You're absolutely right Neil - they are a bit samey purely because it was a short-ish track with only really one place to catch and descent action.

I think I was concentrating more on getting the shots (and the shutter speed high enough on a dull day with the 70-200 f4) rather than doing anything fancy. I'll push the boat out a bit next time :)

Sometimes with these sporting events, the standard-type shots are what "sells". The riders may well want the standard "action shot" of themselves more than a shot of someone else that has greater artistic merit. Getting sharp shots of as many riders as possible is what often counts.

When I shoot whippet racing (a hobby of my wife's), the owners just want photos of their own dogs. They want them sharp, of course, but if I prioritised getting more interesting shots, I'd get far fewer dogs and have far fewer satisfied "customers" (I give all my stuff away - never sell anything).

The shots are technically good, with good exposure and sharpness. I don't want to be too critical.

This guy shoots some nice biking stuff.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnirvine/sets/72157611982567497/

Yeah that was my thinking. I think there were 60 riders in total doing only 2 runs each so it was a case of just getting a descent shot of each. As you say, sometimes you just have to get the shot that appeals to the customer rather than the photographer.

That guy has got some great shots on his stream - I notice a lot are using off camera flash, it's something I considered but not sure how keen the riders would be......can't be nice getting a strobe popped in your face when you're 6 feet in the air :)

Yeah that was my thinking. I think there were 60 riders in total doing only 2 runs each so it was a case of just getting a descent shot of each. As you say, sometimes you just have to get the shot that appeals to the customer rather than the photographer.

That guy has got some great shots on his stream - I notice a lot are using off camera flash, it's something I considered but not sure how keen the riders would be......can't be nice getting a strobe popped in your face when you're 6 feet in the air :)

Yeah, off-camera flash is a thing with him. I believe he uses multiple heads in a softbox to give a diffuse light. You could write a comment on a Flickr shot (or send him Flickr mail) asking him about the issue of rider reaction to flash. He's a good guy and would give you some feedback, I'm sure.

Yeah, off-camera flash is a thing with him. I believe he uses multiple heads in a softbox to give a diffuse light. You could write a comment on a Flickr shot (or send him Flickr mail) asking him about the issue of rider reaction to flash. He's a good guy and would give you some feedback, I'm sure.

Good idea, I'll drop him a mail. Even if just for just some general advice as it might become a more regualar thing and I'd like to get something a bit different.

See here....

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/downhill-mountain-biking-flash.530438/

For a bit about OCF with biking. In short, it's not a problem for the riders at all, even in relatively dark woods which is usual british DH shooting!!

Interesting thread Dave - cheers! I'm due to head up to Hamsterley Forest with a few of the guys soon for some practice sessions, might be an idea to try it out there to start off with rather than during competetive racing.

I like how you have captured the concentration and focus in their eyes on some of them. Bet it was fun to watch too.

Cheers Mike - I was trying to get something at least a little bit different other than the usual mid air shots.

It was a blast....those guys have got some guts! In a selfish kinda way I'm hoping for some spectacular crashes next time :)

Nice set. I'm as far from an expert as they come and would be happy to have captured those shots. Since you have asked for feedback, i will give my humble opinion.

1. Too much of the shot is in focus (grass at front is distracting) and the rider looks slightly soft. The rider is too small in the shot, perhaps a tighter crop of the same proportions.
2. Bike is sharp, background blurred, but too much shadow and composition not ideal (although i like that you have some ground in front of the bike). The rider should have space to move into, i keep looking at the track behind him waiting for something else.
3. Action well caught. A bit underexposed and could do with some dead space cropped of the top.
4. Shadows need brought up and top cropped of for a more square format. The people in the background are looking the wrong way and distracting.
5. A crop of the rider may have more impact here (see the eyes more)
6. Again good capture of action. A tighter crop may help make the rider stand out (as per 1.) rider seems soft (what was shutter speed).
7. Excellent shot! maybe a slight crop of the top.
8. Crop the top, slight increase in midtones. Good expression and sharpness.
9. Great capture and biker nicely isolated. Would like to see more detail (shadows in the rider)
10. Tighter crop increased exposure (mainly shadows). Its a shame you have the handlebars cut off and a hand missing.

All above with a pinch of salt. As i say i think it is a great set and would be delighted with these.

I know OCF has been discussed, but where you are close enough for the head and shoulder, handlebar shots, you could try some fill flash mounted on camera.

Nice set. I'm as far from an expert as they come and would be happy to have captured those shots. Since you have asked for feedback, i will give my humble opinion.

1. Too much of the shot is in focus (grass at front is distracting) and the rider looks slightly soft. The rider is too small in the shot, perhaps a tighter crop of the same proportions.
2. Bike is sharp, background blurred, but too much shadow and composition not ideal (although i like that you have some ground in front of the bike). The rider should have space to move into, i keep looking at the track behind him waiting for something else.
3. Action well caught. A bit underexposed and could do with some dead space cropped of the top.
4. Shadows need brought up and top cropped of for a more square format. The people in the background are looking the wrong way and distracting.
5. A crop of the rider may have more impact here (see the eyes more)
6. Again good capture of action. A tighter crop may help make the rider stand out (as per 1.) rider seems soft (what was shutter speed).
7. Excellent shot! maybe a slight crop of the top.
8. Crop the top, slight increase in midtones. Good expression and sharpness.
9. Great capture and biker nicely isolated. Would like to see more detail (shadows in the rider)
10. Tighter crop increased exposure (mainly shadows). Its a shame you have the handlebars cut off and a hand missing.

All above with a pinch of salt. As i say i think it is a great set and would be delighted with these.

I know OCF has been discussed, but where you are close enough for the head and shoulder, handlebar shots, you could try some fill flash mounted on camera.

Thanks fot the detailed feedback - very much appreciated!

You've kinda kit the nail on the head with the two things I wasn't overy happy with. The softness of a few and the subject isolation on most.

The isolation is probably due to only being able to go down to f4 - a 2.8 would have improved it obviously.

As for the slight softness I was hitting at least 1/1000 - 1/2000 of a second minimum on all of these as they were absolutely flying over that hill. It's probably due to missed focus more than anything......now that's where my old 7D would have come into it's own!!

Back