Drakelow Tunnels

Name
Leigh
Edit My Images
No
Thought I'd share a few from a recent trip to Drakelow Tunnels.

The tunnels are a former underground military complex north of Kidderminster, Worcestershire, covering 23,000 m2. The tunnels, which have a total length of 3.5 mi (5.6 km) to 4 mi (6.4 km), have a very interesting past and are a historical monument to the military history of the United Kingdom.

Abandoned by Leigh Harrison Photography, on Flickr

Dark Tunnel by Leigh Harrison Photography, on Flickr

Aircon, Industrial Strength by Leigh Harrison Photography, on Flickr

Out Of Time by Leigh Harrison Photography, on Flickr

Closed For Business by Leigh Harrison Photography, on Flickr

Abandoned Kitchen by Leigh Harrison Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for posting this - I had never heard of the 'Drakelow Tunnels' and they look fascinating - how do you go about gaining access?

As regards your photos .......

I think the subject definitely benefits from B&W, rather than colour.

I think the first one is my favourite - probably because of people being in it.

For my taste, and being picky to give you some feedback for possible improvement:

- the second is too dark in the foreground and so is uninteresting

- I'm not sure what the third is so can't relate to it

- The third (the clock) is probably my second favourite but it isn't easy to work out the scale

- the fourth - the gridded window - doesn't seem to have a focus so I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking at

- the final one seems to be the same ?light level/exposure? all over so I don't get a feeling of depth

But as I say, thanks for posting these and I have been picky to try to help you with improvements - not sure that if I were able to visit the tunnels that I would be able to produce better.

Thanks for the feedback Chris.

Lighting in there was challenging to say the least, not in the least because a lot of the tunnels had no light at all.

The third image is of a 6ft tall industrial air conditioning fan. It was an absolute pig to get to and again, a challenge to get any type of shot whatsoever.

If you're interested in trying to arrange a visit you can contact the owners via their website: http://www.drakelow-tunnels.co.uk/

Leigh

Thanks for the link - don't think I can make the next open day but will keep an eye out for future ones

Back