Drifting - C and C needed.

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
Well this was my first attempt at this and I didnt have a clue what to do SO what do I do :D. I have posted some of my efforts. If you could what is good and what is not. Also if you can tell me what to so in the future that would be great. Oh no tyre smoke as it is a polished tarmac surface. Be as harsh as you like. I wont cry.

1. S2K
20080801_0946.jpg

2. I want to track this driver down and send it to him.
20080801_0939.jpg

3. My second favourite
20080801_0248.jpg

4. My favourite as this is planned and the exact result I wanted
20080801_0224.jpg

5. Some sort of Jap car
20080801_0212.jpg

6. What you looking at?
20080801_0183.jpg

7. That S2K to finish off.
20080801_0155.jpg

Thanks
Matt

Good first attempt Matt (y)

think you need to drop your speed down to get the affect your looking for.

check out some of the EXIF data on my flickr to give you a ruff guide as i also have the 400D. hope its helps...

:)

Nice shots there matt, really need tyre smoke though lol. All the shots seem a little frozen if you know what I mean, they don't really show the speed involved.

Oh that some sort of Jap car is a Nissan 200SX S14a (I've got one :D).

Good first attempt Matt (y)

think you need to drop your speed down to get the affect your looking for.

check out some of the EXIF data on my flickr to give you a ruff guide as i also have the 400D. hope its helps...

:)

Thank you :D

Right ok, thank you.

Nice shots there matt, really need tyre smoke though lol. All the shots seem a little frozen if you know what I mean, they don't really show the speed involved.

Oh that some sort of Jap car is a Nissan 200SX S14a (I've got one :D).

Thank you.

Bit difficult whenits on a polished surface that doesnt give any :(

So number one problem, shutter speed. Thanks fellas.

Nice shots matey.

Love the baby blue S2k, my mates dad used to own one in the same colour.

Drifting photos are a pain in the backside lol.
im sure there have been a few other threads with some good advice, have a quick search, and keep it up (y)

Hmmmm might be worth looking at Gribbsy's or Blzeebub's flickr for their drift stuff.

From memory its all really slow shutter speeds but you still need some tyre smoke for a decent shot.

Not an easy subject to get a good photo from, but it is possible.

Hmmmm might be worth looking at Gribbsy's or Blzeebub's flickr for their drift stuff.

From memory its all really slow shutter speeds but you still need some tyre smoke for a decent shot.

Not an easy subject to get a good photo from, but it is possible.

So I need to get to a proper drift event not a drift day and need to get the shutter speed down. Thank you.

drift event or drift day, it shouldnt really make a difference. looks like conditions were pretty wet for you. wet = no tyre smoke :(

im lucky enought to have a pet drift event i take the photos for.
if your interested i would be more than happy to get you in the middle with me for the next practice day :)

drift event or drift day, it shouldnt really make a difference. looks like conditions were pretty wet for you. wet = no tyre smoke :(

im lucky enought to have a pet drift event i take the photos for.
if your interested i would be more than happy to get you in the middle with me for the next practice day :)

Is there any in the north west?? I cant really get anywhere else!!

The tarmac they were drifiting on is polished so that is saves tires and is easy to slide on. If you walk on it you nearly end up on your arse :LOL:

Unfortunately im in the South West.

quite a few of the guys come from the North West down to our days so you might catch a lift you never know :LOL:

offer stands if you can make it down (y)

polished surfaces ftw! saves on tyres!

Unfortunately im in the South West.

quite a few of the guys come from the North West down to our days so you might catch a lift you never know :LOL:

offer stands if you can make it down (y)

polished surfaces ftw! saves on tyres!

All well :(

Its great when they have the Group B rally cars on there :D

loving no 6, cant beat a bit of eye contact! drop your shutter speed a bit though to get the effect of a bit of sideways movement

Nice photos but not good drifting photos if you get what i mean :( you cant get a sense of the speed or direction in any of them.

Check out this gallery for some ideas of how they should look

http://www.doristars.com/v-web/gallery/

(y)

how dare you refer to the 200sx as 'some kind of jap car' its a drifting icon :D

Keep trying mate (y)

Tyre smoke doesn't always make the image...just a slow enough shutter speed and good enough panning technique to get a nicely blurred background, along with a sliding angled car :D I took these at a very very wet DWYB event at Santa Pod:

DSC_1253.jpg

DSC_1204.jpg

DSC_1669.jpg

DSC_1262.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos but not good drifting photos if you get what i mean :( you cant get a sense of the speed or direction in any of them.

Check out this gallery for some ideas of how they should look

http://www.doristars.com/v-web/gallery/

(y)

how dare you refer to the 200sx as 'some kind of jap car' its a drifting icon :D

Keep trying mate (y)

I knew they were not good drift shots hence why I am after loads of C and C :D

Oh sorry :D

Tyre smoke doesn't always make the image...just a slow enough shutter speed and good enough panning technique to get a nicely blurred background, along with a sliding angled car :D I took these at a very very wet DWYB event at Santa Pod:

Right ok. Not keen on the angles though. MUST USE SLOWER SHUTTER SPEED :D Thank you.

Haha sorry to hammer the point home Matt :D you'll get it after a few more practise sessions! It's just like photographing normal racing, except the cars are out of control going sideways at 80mph :D

Here are a few of mine from a few years ago, not brilliant photos as they was taken on my old Fuji (bit grainy) but hopefully will give you an idea :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

07.jpg

09.jpg

Need to get to a D1 event with the new Canon :D

Haha sorry to hammer the point home Matt :D you'll get it after a few more practise sessions! It's just like photographing normal racing, except the cars are out of control going sideways at 80mph :D

:LOL:

I hope so. Thing is there is bugger all drift events round 'ere :(

Here are a few of mine from a few years ago, not brilliant photos as they was taken on my old Fuji (bit grainy) but hopefully will give you an idea :)

Need to get to a D1 event with the new Canon :D

Thank you. I get ya drift (see what I did there). I need to get to a proper drift event asap :D

Woww thats when the Japs were over here competing in the D1GP :D 2006 I think? That Bee-R Skyline had the most awesome limiter sound :D I've still got my old photos around here somewhere

Woww thats when the Japs were over here competing in the D1GP :D 2006 I think? That Bee-R Skyline had the most awesome limiter sound :D I've still got my old photos around here somewhere

Yer it probably was 2006, i went in 2005 as well :) Its great to see how far drifting has come in the UK over the last 3 or 4 years although it does seem to attract a few idiots who call themselves drifters but only prat about on the roads :bang:

Matt, Drift calendar is here for events

http://www.driftworks.com/calendar/

Hi Matt,

Nice pictures. I'm close to Oulton Park as well so if your popping up there for an event then give me a shout. I may tag along and try to pick up some tips :D

Yer it probably was 2006, i went in 2005 as well :) Its great to see how far drifting has come in the UK over the last 3 or 4 years although it does seem to attract a few idiots who call themselves drifters but only prat about on the roads :bang:

Matt, Drift calendar is here for events

http://www.driftworks.com/calendar/

Good start Matt, my advice would be drop the shutter speed and try and shot from the inside of the "corner" with the car drifting across the lens. This is not a must have but its what looks best to my eye. Some nice shots from SXOC Mark but image how great they would have been from the front fo the cars :)

I'm at Autotuner/Time Attack show at Brands this weekend and I think there will be a D1 demo, so I guess its my turn to post up some pics rather than just talk about it LOL!
(PS my mate with the Skyline is running again, but I've still not posted those pics from Oulton! My bad :()

I'm at Autotuner/Time Attack show at Brands this weekend and I think there will be a D1 demo, so I guess its my turn to post up some pics rather than just talk about it LOL!
(PS my mate with the Skyline is running again, but I've still not posted those pics from Oulton! My bad :()

I am going to be there as well :D Our club has a stand there so my car will be on show plus doing one of the track sessions with the Skyline Owners Club (y)

Back