Critique Drinking cub

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
It's doesn't look too bad when one considers the builders tray that holds the water and the pretty much all visible plants in frame ( bkg accepting) were put in place just days before this was made

_S2I4212cub drinking 1 smj DN by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

1/250 f4 iso 6400 @ 400mm not crop

cheers for the advice and thoughts on the last one
take care
stu

That's a lovely opportunity you got there Stu, great to see it tongue down and all.
As for critique ... it's a bit 'drab' again and IMO needs lightening (Levels says it does too) ... quick edit, Levels only no Smart Sharpen this time.

50093711973_f4e5514b46_o.jpg

The only other thought from me is that I am not keen on the tall crop ... cutting off some of the oof foreground and top might work but if you've got some more to the left on the file that might work too. :)

I’ve been following your thread....I am enjoying your write ups and how you are developing. I really like this one. (y)

It's doesn't look too bad when one considers the builders tray that holds the water and the pretty much all visible plants in frame ( bkg accepting) were put in place just days before this was made

_S2I4212cub drinking 1 smj DN by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

1/250 f4 iso 6400 @ 400mm not crop

cheers for the advice and thoughts on the last one
take care
stu

Gorgeous capture. Love the composition. My preference would be somewhere inbetween yours and gramps edit

I thought it said drinking club. I was about to apply.
Lovely shot. As Gramps suggests, I would try some crop options.

Last edited:
That's a lovely opportunity you got there Stu, great to see it tongue down and all.
As for critique ... it's a bit 'drab' again and IMO needs lightening (Levels says it does too) ... quick edit, Levels only no Smart Sharpen this time.

View attachment 285858

The only other thought from me is that I am not keen on the tall crop ... cutting off some of the oof foreground and top might work but if you've got some more to the left on the file that might work too. :)

Thanks buddy point taken on the edit and appreciated , i'm getting closer though bud but yours is def better I much prefer it. Roger above you said this and I quote " it needs lightening (levels say so too)" Buddy can you explain that bit for me please Roger I think i'm missing something here. that might help
Unsure on the cropping Roger , the nuances of a crop are so personal. but I will look at it There is no more frame to the left mate you are seeing what I framed in camera ie no crop.

great stuff Roger thank you

Fabulous Stu, nice setup and a great shot.

Thanks Gil thoughts noted re edits (y)

Ha Lee this is where I was making vole images probably around the time we last spoke, thanks for chiming in:)

Lmao Bri, no mate you wouldn't want to be drinking here. i mean it's great company foxes voles loads of birds bathing I guess much like london pub really, Actually mate send the apllication over you'll be right at home:LOL:

cheers all

Well I must say that all your dedication and research are paying dividends with the shot's you are getting .[emoji122][emoji122]

Roger above you said this and I quote " it needs lightening (levels say so too)" Buddy can you explain that bit for me please Roger I think i'm missing something here. that might help

Stu, you remember my last comment on your other photo where I posted screenshots of my Photoshop screen?
'Levels' was the little 'box' ... it's a simple way of adjusting the appearance of the image, black, white and mid-tone levels can be adjusted.
Similar can be done with 'Exposure' adjustments but I find 'Levels' gives me more control.

@ gramps

buddy I understand it's the little levels box, what I didn't understand was how you were reading it. That's what I was trying to ask? But I think I might have caught up now you were reading the histogramme in the levels box and it wasn't far enough to the right. That is what you meant by" levels say it does too"?? It's that particular bit that threw me mate and that I was asking about

Sorry buddy it's me not able to get my question out in a clear way for you to understand. It's also me being me and thinking I was missing something. I'd rather ask and look a fool mate when I am unsure than miss something that could be important, but I suspect I've caught up now

Exposure wise I don`t see nothing wrong with your image Stu , it`s all self opinionated , perhaps something in between yours and Gramps would be spot on , you have to consider I suppose that it will look slightly different on all our monitors . The fact that you pretty much go for full frame up close is to be commended , however in situations like this it does not give you much room to play with composition wise . It`s the only thing I am not keen on here , Think it defo needs more room to the right , and a little perhaps off the top and bottom as suggested , cropping a bit off the left might work , as it would , I think make the space on the right look more ....I think that makes sense . Other than those niggles ( for me ) . It`s an excellent image , looks natural and unusual , not everyday we see a Fox having a drink .

All very valid points Mark, thanks for stopping by mate, and the thoughts :)

Buddy I'm way over gunned with 400mm in this situation. you know me mate I try to frame the picture I want to make. If I crop it's cause I was in the wrong place or didn't make the grade with my framing. Mate that is a mindset I try to achieve, something I aspire to, in the real world it doesn't always pan out ,but yup that is my mantra re framing I find this close framing incredibly demanding Mark, one is trying to be incredibly precise with a subject that is moving and barely fits in the frame which ever way I turn it. FP's are zinging about all ways. I find this tough Mark no other way to put it.

Re this particular frame , I've really enjoyed all the thoughts on crop or exp something for me to ponder and look at, but I guess you know me well enough that I'm not completely happy with this and that there is probably something else I'm holding back which I prefer and where I feel the framing is better.I do have those frames mate. The joys of a repeat senario Mark one gets to make mistakes freely and then try and do better next time. The situation is proving to be fantastic practice for me it's really honing the hand skills.

Mark you are more aware of this than anyone, what it's taken how long it's taken to get to a photograph. I'm stunned we are having this chat never thought I'd get her past the shutter racket as you know. We are all different I think that's why I so often ask the lads to crit, because it gives me an insight into what others see.

Do you know it never occured to me that we don't see many images of foxes drinking, it was just something different to add into the mix. I wanted Roger to see it really simply because a convo on his thread gave us the spark of this idea and in days the plan had worked

take care buddy thanks for the above

stu

Back