DSLR Camera Bags/Rucksacks

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
So now I have my 5D MKIII I have been in search of a new camera bag, to help with my search what Camera Bag do you have and what can it hold.

Im looking to hold my 5D MKIII with attached 17-40mm and i would also like it to hold my 70-200mm f4L and my 50mm Prime... Possibly 28-135mm but not overly fussed. Also to hold my flashgun and a few accessories.

Currently I own a Manfrotto Agile VII Sling, a zip has bust on the tracks and its very bulky... Not sure what to get as there is a vast amount out there!

Opinions and suggestions?

I've tried various bags over the years - for a DSLR, lenses and kit the Lowepro Prorunner series always seem to have the most usable space for their size, quality and price.

little known but outstanding quality and great price. Nest Athena range.

i picked mine up on ebay auction for £21 before there were any UK sellers but now several places sell them

lots of pockets and nooks and crannys, tripod straps and even enough room to slot in a 15 inch laptop.
add in waterproof cover and you have a great camera bag.
heres mins packed with canon 60D an 18-135STM lens on plus quite a few other bits and pieces in there. and shown also with Benro Tripod attached ( left or right side for tripod

9132412371_43ed6c6720_c.jpg

9134628294_6d98775937_c.jpg

9132408711_251c77b6d7_c.jpg

mine is the athena Nest A80 and can be got if hunted around for around £60

Last edited:
Avoid any bag which signals you out as a camera user... Sorry if this goes against the grain of the forum.

DSLR's are expensive and easy to move on. When you are carrying lots of cash or valuables you do not advertise the fact.

I'm ugly, fat and quite big. I was recently robbed of all my stuff with my camera bag. I won't have another one.

Avoid any bag which signals you out as a camera user... Sorry if this goes against the grain of the forum.

DSLR's are expensive and easy to move on. When you are carrying lots of cash or valuables you do not advertise the fact.

I'm ugly, fat and quite big. I was recently robbed of all my stuff with my camera bag. I won't have another one.

sadly thieving opportunists will rob anyone with any kind of bag/rucksack in the hopes there are expensive goodies inside and if your travelling around with a tripod its a clear sign you have camera gear on you. honestly dont think theres any way around the problem in this day and age :( hence one of the reasons i chose the silver bag as when theres no tripod on it it just looks like a chunky rucksack rather than your run of the mill camera bag and with no obvious branding like a camera name or a name synonomous with cameras its as obvious

Last edited:
Agree to a degree with @supersammy , altho it's hard to hide the fact you're carrying a DSLR and expensive kit when it's pressed up against your face taking photos. Altho i have lots of 'camera' bags i generally use a padded camera insert into what sized regular unassuming bag will fit with the day out.

Now I totally agree with with you all on this matter, when first buying my laptop i brought a bag which tried to hide the fact I was carrying one, but as soon as you use it people know what's in the bag and some people are just willing to thieve and take a chance. I am travelling soon and need one as i cant just leave my camera and lenses rolling around so im gonna have to suck up the fact that there is a possibility of it being stolen just like anything can now days. I have been looking at the kata 3 in 1 20 litre sling but unsure.

Last edited:
I've tried various bags over the years - for a DSLR, lenses and kit the Lowepro Prorunner series always seem to have the most usable space for their size, quality and price.
Gets my vote as well, in fact I bought one recently

I'm sorry for your loss, but there are times and places you'll get robbed of whatever you had, watch, phone, money. I'd rather have a backpack that keeps my stuff safe the majority of the time rather than a one in a million chance of being robbed because of it.

Agree to a degree with @supersammy , altho it's hard to hide the fact you're carrying a DSLR and expensive kit when it's pressed up against your face taking photos. Altho i have lots of 'camera' bags i generally use a padded camera insert into what sized regular unassuming bag will fit with the day out.
As a day bag for one extra lens plus spare batteries and the padded insert in a nondescript bag is my choice as well - but as you start adding more and more gear the ergonomic benefits of a bag designed to support it properly soon become clear. The OP is already up to body, three lenses, flashgun and accessories. And the 5diii isn't a lightweight body to start with.

Guys - I've carried a Motherload (military bag) for thousands of hours and have never had a problem. Maybe its the military look that puts people off. I have also carried a red bag which I used when I was studying for hundreds of hours and never had a problem.

It was the Police who told me that Lowepro bags are a target for robbery. Even a amateur setup with a reasonably sized bag will be worth over a grand usually.

Take your own chances - but for me I'll now stick my kit in a normal motherload bag and protect anything inside with appropriate protection.

My kit was insured - however I did try and run after the criminal. If I had caught him best case scenario was getting my stuff back and him being charged. Worst case was me being either seriously hurt/killer, or me being charged with ABH/GBH. I have a friend who was on bail for over a year after hurting someone who tried to break into his car. So insure your kit and don't worry if it breaks - it's just not worth it (to me).

the kata bags look fairly generic imo, and are good, and i like my 3 in 1, it fits a gripped a77 with 16-50, and 2-3 lenses underneath in the main section, can be a squeeze to get the gripped body in though
id recommend getting one with a chest strap if u can, but u can buy them for £3.50~ off ebay

As a day bag for one extra lens plus spare batteries and the padded insert in a nondescript bag is my choice as well - but as you start adding more and more gear the ergonomic benefits of a bag designed to support it properly soon become clear. The OP is already up to body, three lenses, flashgun and accessories. And the 5diii isn't a lightweight body to start with.
I find fishing holdalls / rucksacks designed for carp fishing are usually very robust in terms of strength and comfort. I've had no issues in the past with a couple of gripped bodies, flashes and a selection of lens.

Back