DSLR controller

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone managed to connect Canon EOS7d to Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.0" for using DSLR controller app?

Cant seem to get mine recognised.

My 7d isnt even recognised by the free shutter app - nothing I need to do on 7d is there?

The main issue for me was the cable - you can't just use a microUSB <-> miniUSB cable, it has to be specifically be an 'OTG cable' for it to be recognised. (Or an OTG adapter)

I am using the cable which came with the camera and plugging it into a samsung usb adaptor

Hmmm - might not be enough - the Samsung adapter will let you connect to a PC, but isn't an OTG cable.

Tab doesnt have that connector, but found a techggear one which looks suitable - thanks for your help, I thought an ordinary adaptor would have done the job. Always good to learn something new :)

On the DSLR Controller website the Tab 2 listing says this:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 - 7", 10.1"
We get a lot of problem reports with these models.
For as of yet unknown reasons, it seems recent firmwares are having some trouble with DSLR Controller on these devices for some users. For other users it works fine.

It also says it connects via a "USB Adapter Kit" which I would think is the Samsung thing you have. Further down that page it also says "We always recommend getting the official brand-name connector OTG connector, even though they are usually expensive." which backs up the idea that the Samsung product is the correct one.

The confusion comes with the male Micro USB to male Mini USB cables that fit but usually aren't OTG cables, though you don't have Micro USB to start with so you don't need to worry about that.

Can you get a USB memory stick to connect via your USB adapter?

You can also try USB Host Diagnostics, which is by the same developer as DSLR Controller, to test the connection.

Last edited:
OTG cable i bought must be faulty - not even showing USB stick as connected :( THe USB stick itself does show connected using the Samsung adaptor, however it still won't show the 7d as being connected. Although just once it did show high powered usb device connected, but cannot be accessed?? I'll give that hoist diagnostics app a go next and see what that says.

Tried the USB host diagnostics - using the Samsung adaptor to connect USB memory stick - test was positive, but with the camera connected it was negative. Both results send to developer.

Back