DSLR downgrading

Name
Geof
Edit My Images
Yes
if cicrcumstances changed and you were unable to use have a DSLR
what digital camera would you opt for to attempt to get the results you were used to getting from the dslr
some non dslr's i know have interchangeable lenses...but dont include these
just a fixed lens camera..

:thinking:

I have an Olympus SP-550UZ bridge which I still use from time to time, but if I didn't have a DSLR as well I would go for either the Canon SX1 IS or the G10.

Yes i think i would go the same route a Canon G10 /11.

YO!!!
this is one cam i am really keen on....but it doesnt have an electronic viewfinder which i really need as i have poor eyesight and like to look through a hole in the box...and not get parallax...see real size imagery etc

good one!!

I have an Olympus SP-550UZ bridge which I still use from time to time, but if I didn't have a DSLR as well I would go for either the Canon SX1 IS or the G10.

the field is getting better...thanks

non bridge cameras with electronic viewfinders
fit into pocket
zoom 10x sufficient
i/s

any ideas

I don't think anybody makes one to that spec as yet!

Nikon Coolpix P5100
12Mp, bridge camera, stunned how good this camera is... The only downside is the lack of RAW. Can't fault it otherwise.

non bridge cameras with electronic viewfinders
fit into pocket
zoom 10x sufficient
i/s

any ideas

:shrug:
It's still a bridge camera, but it was the Fuji S1000 that got me into this photography lark.
12x zoom and very compact.

You're not going to get it into the back pocket of your jeans, but it'll fit in a coat pocket no problem.

I'd probably go for the Canon SX1. I persuaded my mate to buy one and it handles quite well with a great zoom range. I have an S5is and its great for holidays where I don't want to lug around an SLR kit.

Either that or I'd be tempted to have a look at the new G11. I didn't like the G9 - it didn't feel good to handle so I bought a panny LX2 instead. Its ok for outdoors but crap indoors. I still use my old G2 from time to time.

So at the end of the day either the G11 if its better to hold than the G9 or Powershot SX1is

I would go for the G11 i already have the G9 and carry it about when i don't have one of my DSLR cameras or don't want the bulk of one :)

My G9 is having lens sorted as its got a small fibre in it atm :bang: so its getting sold off when its returned repaired as don't want it happening out of warranty and im putting funds towards the G11 when its released :D

I wasn't toting for a sale btw ! :LOL:

Remember this advert from a couple of years ago?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lde77E4PY4Q

When it went off the shelves 18 months ago I got an HP PhotoSmart A433 (camera and printer) for £20 and, for all its inadequacies, it goes where my larger cameras won't, is more versatile than my Minox, takes video and is completely adequate for the viewing pleasure of non-photographers who weren't able to attend e.g. a family funeral. I can regard it as disposable; if that were not the case I might consider something better, particularly for the video.

I wouldn't get a digi compact. I would dig out my Nikkormat FT3 and use film. :D

yo!
i used to tote 3 ELW's..fine bodies and electronics and AI

:shrug:
It's still a bridge camera, but it was the Fuji S1000 that got me into this photography lark.
12x zoom and very compact.

You're not going to get it into the back pocket of your jeans, but it'll fit in a coat pocket no problem.

i thought a bridge camera was one which looked like and viewed like a DSLR
but had a fixed lens
anyhow...my C765 has the above specs and the body is compact

Nikon Coolpix P5100
12Mp, bridge camera, stunned how good this camera is... The only downside is the lack of RAW. Can't fault it otherwise.

damn!! optical viewfinder

how does one compose at eye level and not get parallax etc
plus i do ....'hate' ...holding my camera up in the air to take photos

I'd probably go for the Canon SX1. I persuaded my mate to buy one and it handles quite well with a great zoom range. I have an S5is and its great for holidays where I don't want to lug around an SLR kit.

Either that or I'd be tempted to have a look at the new G11. I didn't like the G9 - it didn't feel good to handle so I bought a panny LX2 instead. Its ok for outdoors but crap indoors. I still use my old G2 from time to time.

So at the end of the day either the G11 if its better to hold than the G9 or Powershot SX1is

this may be my choice if i dont stick with oly or fuji...Xd cards etc

the chance of a pocket cam with electronic viewfinder seems remote
the G series canons did appeal and that nikon 2100

thanks loads for good and practical..in use..advice

by a shotgun when its hot...then you know it shoots

this may be my choice if i dont stick with oly or fuji...Xd cards etc

the chance of a pocket cam with electronic viewfinder seems remote
the G series canons did appeal and that nikon 2100

thanks loads for good and practical..in use..advice

by a shotgun when its hot...then you know it shoots

You could forget the zoom and go for the IXUS 980 IS. It gives you everything you want but only 3.7 times zoom.

You could forget the zoom and go for the IXUS 980 IS. It gives you everything you want but only 3.7 times zoom.

cheers...dont know if it does super macro...parallax can be a problem that is why i want electronic viewfinder etc

just been browsing the camedia 8080....strange but interesting design

thanks S

Had I known that the D3000 were coming out a few months ago, I would have held off buying the D90. However, I have to say I'm very pleased with the D90's performance. Sweet machine. Still, the D3000's specs meet my needs for sure also and looks like a killer unit. Largest prints I've done to date are 20X30 anyhow and most of the time it's A3. For anyone whose budget needs are a priority, I'd definitely recommend going towards the lighter end of the spectrum and putting the saved dough on lenses and a good tripod or other accessories.

Wait and see what is it like in reality - but the S90 is looking good.

Wait and see what is it like in reality - but the S90 is looking good.

all these slab powerhouses look just the ticket...but why no viewfinder...:thinking:

tbh I am downgrading at moment. I love my DSLR but I find them just too impractical 99% of the time, and just use my Lumix TZ7. It's a shame, but the Lumix does a good enough job

if cicrcumstances changed and you were unable to use have a DSLR
what digital camera would you opt for to attempt to get the results you were used to getting from the dslr
some non dslr's i know have interchangeable lenses...but dont include these
just a fixed lens camera..

:thinking:
Fuji S100FS Brilliant!

Back