Dual Straps - Which One?

Edit My Images
No
After a dual strap to shoot easily with two bodies at weddings. Currently use a Black Rapid with the other camera in and out of a shoulder bag when needed, having two easy to access should make things much easier.

I have looked at the Black rapid dual and yeti straps, I know they are well built and link my single strap but not convinced how the dual ones look when worn together for weddings.

Spider pro and the moneymaker also seem to be quite popular.

Have I missed anything else? Any suggestion or comments from those who shoot with dual straps?

Ive just bought an Optech dual strap cost me £19 with 20% code on eBay, and it's fine for me. Perfectly adjustable, fit wise and you can adjust how low the cameras sit. I already had an optech single strap so can just snap off the single strap and put camera on dual or vice versa. For under £20 I was quite surprised. It connects to normal strap connections and not the tripod mount. I did have a cheap one from 7dayshop but wouldn't do that again after one of my cameras came off it and straight onto the floor.

I've also read good things about a cheapo belt like the spider system, but I'd already purchased the strap I got. Also wasn't keen on the huge chunks of metal sitting under the camera, as well as clipping it in, if youre in a rush and don't do it properly en you'll drop the camera, at least with a dual strap you can just drop the camera as such.

Hope that helps

Holdfast Moneymaker Andrew. I struggled on with a few variants of the black rapid/spider/optech systems but the Moneymaker just blows them outta the water. I carry two gripped bodies with 70-200 & 24/70 (sometimes with flashes attached) and it copes with them like a champ and distributes the weight nice and evenly.

Plus they look really f**** cool! :) :)

i quite like the optech stuff, i guess you just gotta look at what you think will work for you

I liked the single optech strap but didn't get on with the dual. I've used the black rapid DR1 for ages but recently switched to the cheap Eggsnow spider clone from Amazon. It's nearasdammit a clone of the spider and better than the other cheaper clones

I can see the hipster appeal of the moneymaker it's a great looking piece of kit but those leather straps look awful thin and I wouldn't expect it to be comfortable with the weight of two big slr's all day. They stopped putting straps like that on rucksacks in the 1970's!

I can see the hipster appeal of the moneymaker it's a great looking piece of kit but those leather straps look awful thin and I wouldn't expect it to be comfortable with the weight of two big slr's all day. They stopped putting straps like that on rucksacks in the 1970's!

The fastening clips are tested to carry up to150lbs each. I've used it on numerous weddings now carrying two gripped bodies with flashes and some of the heaviest lenses going and it hasn't flinched. I trust it infinitely more than any of the other nylon straps straps I've used in the past.

I've tried and tested most of the dual strap systems out there and IMO it's the best looking and most practical/comfortable option there is.

Having looked at videos of the moneymaker dual strap I'm having a saddler make me a variant one to my spec.
His work looks amazing and only uses top quality leather. I reckon it will be half the cost of the moneymaker but I will have to buy 1/4" lugs/D rings for the cameras. I'm opting for genuine black rapid RT1,s that can accommodate the manfrotto base plate aswell.
I have been using the optec dual harness up until now but I'm always worried about the strength and durability of the "plastic" clasps!
Since upgrading to two gripped D800's I think I would be sick if I had a clasp failure and one took a knock.
As a matter of interest does anyone have the moneymaker xl size and if so could you take a measurement of the length of one of the straps?

I have been using the optec dual harness up until now but I'm always worried about the strength and durability of the "plastic" clasps!
Since upgrading to two gripped D800's I think I would be sick if I had a clasp failure and one took a knock.
As a matter of interest does anyone have the moneymaker xl size and if so could you take a measurement of the length of one of the straps?

Don't worry about the strength of the Uniloop's. I used to have the single strap but got rid of it when I got my Black Rapid DR1 as it will split into a single so made the Optech sling strap I had redundant.

But not before I did a couple of experiments to assure myself the connectors were safe.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKAG9NC6Res

Ok that video has reassured me a little. I will probably hold onto my optec has for awhile but for me having the weight of a 70-200 straining the lens mount could be an issue.
Using the tripod mount on the lens seems to provide a more balanced suspension if you know what I mean.
As a foot note have you ever thought of entering the hammer throw event.

The Blackrapid DR-1 gets my vote :)

Last edited:
Ok that video has reassured me a little. I will probably hold onto my optec has for awhile but for me having the weight of a 70-200 straining the lens mount could be an issue.
Using the tripod mount on the lens seems to provide a more balanced suspension if you know what I mean.
As a foot note have you ever thought of entering the hammer throw event.

When I had the Optech single strap, what I did was to attach the BR fastnr's to both the 70-200 and my camera then dangle the clips from that. You don't need to buy the original BR ones. You can get clone ones far cheaper from Amazon/eBay.

That way you have two points of contact. Although the uniloops are rated to over 60KG so you should be fine.

Back