Due an upgrade, phone suggestions please!

squizza

Eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I'm due a phone upgrade in September although my contract ends in December. I'm looking for suggestions for phones, my current one is Samsung wave and its ok, but I'm not looking for another Samsung. I don't want an iphone so suggestions welcome. :)

Many thanks

Last edited:
Is there a reason you don't want an iPhone , I can honestly say it's the best phone I've ever owned, simple to use and a multitude of features, I haven't tried any of the android phones but I can't see them being better

I have the HTC desire HD, I used to have the iPhone and then I got this but still kept the iPhone for a month or so just to see if I got on with the HTC and BOOM the iPhone went the first opportunity I had!

HTC desire HD is an amazing phone

wack61 said:
Is there a reason you don't want an iPhone , I can honestly say it's the best phone I've ever owned, simple to use and a multitude of features, I haven't tried any of the android phones but I can't see them being better

You would be quite surprised with Android.

Espesh if you try some of the good HTC's that have the 1GHz + processors

Why no iphone??

The iphone 4 is probably still the best overall handset you can get.

Lol is that it??!

Sarah, the best advice you are going to get is the same as when someone asks which camera to get. Go to the shops and have a play and see which one suits you. I fear that all you will get here is and iPhone v Andriod war.

Sarah, the best advice you are going to get is the same as when someone asks which camera to get. Go to the shops and have a play and see which one suits you. I fear that all you will get here is and iPhone v Andriod war.

:plus1:

Ok tell me why the iPhone is better then the HTC desire hd? Yes it has facetime but not many people actually use it

I use facetime! And its great, love it!

I've held the HTC desire and played, but obviously not exhaustively (there's only so far you can delve into someone else's phone, lol!). As it happens, I much preferred the new Sony Experia which I think is a more direct comparison.

But in comparison;

The iphone 4 is simply the nicer product. It looks, feels and handles far better than the HTC imo. And I much preferred the interface of the iphone. The screen on the iphone 4 is TWICE the resolution of the HTC (though I'm not sure this was the HD version?). Higher resolution video on iphone 4 (720p vs something like 800 x 600 or 480?), but thats as far as I got, but those are the first things you notice just with a quick play.

EDIT - just playing with it now, and its not the HD version! Forget the above, lol!

How much better is the HD compared to the normal one?

Last edited:
Go for a HTC desire hd. Have had all iphones and got the desire hd, blew me away. Functionality, speed, reliabilty, camera (really good quality.. on par if not better than my point and shoot) and fits in the pocket unlike the d3

It's smooth, and functional.. also takes a beating.. had mine a year and it still looks like new.. and I'm not very careful with it unlike my iphones that was scratched after a month with careful use.

I do sometimes see the odd app that only iPhone has and makes me think..... Hmm but that soon pases.

Only reason I would go back to an iPhone is if I got a MAC, and then it would simply be an asthetics thing.

I really really love the hd allows me to turn it into a wireless hotspot for my laptop.. cant remember if my iPhone 4 allowed me to do that.. I didn't find it. that saved me 12 quid a month straight away! And connection speed is perfectly acceptable!

My 2 cents

If you want old tech get an Iphone but if you want something fluid & modern get the Samsung Galaxy S2 :)

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/35612/htc-desire-hd-iphone-4

There's a good reason why current new sales of Android based phones are globally far in excess of the iphone so you are right to discount that phone as an option.

Yes, Apple are great at marketing and have done much to pioneer the smartphone market, but others are currently doing more in this space that offer better features, more functionality, greater customisation etc etc etc.

The iphone 5 is due out soon - you may want to defer your decision until this is out, then see what follows from HTC, Sony etc and you might find yourself picking up either a great 'new' phone or a bargain current fantastic phone.

Why do I not want an iPhone. They've never appealed to me. I guess I could be swayed but the recent niggles I've heard about (and my mates who have one quite often moaning about it) puts me off.

HTC desire HD

+1 (y)

Played round with various phones through work and settled on the DHD.

tons of free apps to play with as well.

Current camera apps i'm using at the moment are Little Photo, Pudding Camera and Retro Cam.

DHD 8 mega pixel against iPhone4 @ 5 meg and you can see the difference.

HTH :shrug:

OW

Galaxy S2 is the bees knees, slim, excellent screen, and a good camera too, plus it's saved me buying a separate sat nav!

HTH

I too would suggest something from the HTC range of phones. probably the new sensation as it seems to be a very good offering (y)

You seem to have a few ideas of what you do not want so best advice I can give is as above; go to the shop and have a play.

For me I have a Samsung Galaxy S2; it is everything I have ever wanted from a phone - I cannot fault it.

I dd have an iphone but come upgrade time I went for the Samsung.

For me it is far better then the iphone due to the lack of restrictions on it. But it is personal preference; for me I like to lie in my bed and watch streamed sport - I could not do this on the iphone due to lack of flash.

Last edited:
if HTC, then Sensation...(I have desire HD but sensation is better)
if Samsung, then SGS II
if sony ericsson, then Xperia Arc.
if Apple, then iPhone4

go to the shop, play with all the handsets.

those mentioned mobiles are quite big.
if too big, maybe you could get HTC Desire S.

have a look for mobiles with window7 on board as well.

How good is your android in 6 months??

My grans Galaxy S (a pretty swanky hand set anyway!) has completely slowed down and is terribly sticky.

Compared to iPhone 3GS of the same age - goes as fast as the day it was bought. I'd say iPhone all the way definitely, everything they do works brilliantly.

How good is your android in 6 months??

My Galaxy S2 is the quickest phone I have ever had by miles, the dual core processor takes care of that. I cannot get it to have a delay doing anything.

I used to get quite annoyed when my iphone had moments of slow done playing angry birds, obviously struggling to cope with more than one thing at once.

No such issues now; the birds fly nice and smooth :LOL:

But as always it is about opinions, no point in trying to change one persons opinion as it is their opinion and they are entitled to it - Just choose what works best for you.

soon HTC will announce 8 new mobiles...

Thank you all so far for the suggestions, certainly looks like a HTC is onto a winner. Will have to try it out in a phone shop :)

Chris Primadona said:
I quite like the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, theres so many good phones around these days though. If you go for a top end smartphone its still going to be decent in a year or two.

Look out for one with Flash support though!

If you don't want an iPhone, my opinion is this is by far the best android handset, it's awesome.

My upgrade is due in 5 months time by which point the next gen iPhone will (hopefully) be out and im going to wait to see what this is like, but if I didn't have the iPhone 4 at present I'd consider the Experia Arc in a flash.

Last edited:
Another vote for galaxy S2. Had an iphone 3gs and its just a toy in comparison. Did apple sort out the signal problems on the iphone 4?
Unless apple do some serious improvement i can't see myself having another one of their phones.

Back