B&W Dundee Infrared Landscapes

Name
Samuel
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some landscapes of around Dundee shot on Rollei IR400 infrared 35 mm B&W film. These were taken about a year and half ago with a Pentax Spotmatic F and SMC Takumar 55 mm F1.8 or 28 mm F3.5 lenses and an R72 infrared filter, with apertures of around F8 -16.

I'd never shot IR before, so the earlier ones are perhaps a bit lower in contrast/more grainy as I may have slightly under-exposed them, the exposure index I used throughout the roll was from about ISO6 -16 is approximately ISO 6-16 - for anyone who has never shot IR film, it is very difficult to get an accurate exposure as you can't meter through an R72 (which is literally pitch black unless you really squint hard), so you have to meter without the filter, then add on 4-5 stops and then take the picture with the filter on (a tripod is recommended and all of these were on a tripod, but you can certainly get away with handholding). Plus the amount of reflected IR light differs depending on the scene, which makes it more awkward. Fortunately, B&W negative film has very wide exposure latitude. I've only made some minor straightening/cropping and levels adjustments to the scans.

I have put versions of some of these in the photos from film section, but was hoping I might get some more comments here.

NB, just to re-iterate, these are from B&W film, so please don't ask for the colour versions... as they don't exist! :whistle: There may also be some minor dust visible in places on the scans.

y4mco2xKBmizBd533p25HlbcQ1WlDPgIwVPWboRKtfcdowD0CRJvgKukwl7yzdhy_OoqmUyY50H9hmGIMbmgphO11RboobNSGxobzHvXaTvk2u6BWAm3wX2A2tPvsZogtYNpV2hrUCOEZxSdVBo6Uwa6R6UoWF4TO0jFNIYpE4WTvkf7o-Bx5-gSwDTGqeRq-_D

Looking toward Dundee Law from Balgay Hillside

y4mc6FVH4zGPnr9qTWPefbB8ZFXgHBSHIaEh19qfgL-RuEQEcKnMr8Lyyo1rrv4fDyfGLoU1v7HABnAusGrKfgNr4Ea5QdOvDbyG-o7ILEuJi4DGOSTne5_jFhR5ebz-NNSKUsdymOLYUgiepiuDyTKBoeyq2hHrbvLIi2zB8vHEqTWoti3T3IbGv_G8FTB-7LH

Lochee, Coxes Stack and the old Camperdown Works Jute Mill from Balgay Hillside

y4mMgWiO5Wk9eFX1RPFP0zV2IKKKMbjwr0l3520lu8ERZfFpS33_L7F_1OXW56HH9_n1VrnE2ftv7wOrC8wiuTSYX8A7naFgS-tPyfp3HOUO5t5bIxHTdMMq3H9xHZ1YZSK4qmOctGjt1aeuBmhK0q2kmtRFv6a5rBbFXIRT_YwEByM_KFfBzPJLj064UxNaqT7
y4mMwVWnHwtvrWLFOkZsonxHkthND--ZQMPNC_021Uy5RdG-J2vfJVaE3roOJSHqDjt5KKZPuWQt4jB4wxr1gIKT_FV69zdkjsD0Wya7bZUvboFBO6jzgTu5qd2xGMXVB8S72a_TwuZrCaNc9tn-nrJIQ1jOFvQKVCapBCs0wfiZoqT-UEc7JxyV7Q_rL1J-XKY

Looking on toward Balgay, Blackness and up the Tay from Dundee Law - reflected IR and normal photo (through an orange filter) for comparison

(Note that this is in effect a reverse shot of the first image posted, which was taken from the large grass area on the side of Balgay Hill).

y4maOLAcorHKPcilpqn9zj3vlie-yZ9FuX_eV6xKDbf6-ONdfdeCTOv7yIB_k-M1Me20Orq9TDj0fn94OvYyKZENCtAGJDyBaUlYh77aJvwfEKXEtpwjnUl8vSrAztHyUP1IsjkXX1pifQ_r4VAuYYLEgrYkDaq715TY_Ho7q-GZXq6bO8sFrYS_gnu46dnLQxJ

View from Dundee Law of the Tay Bridge, Dundee University and Dudhope

y4mGAQxX8HdLHVojyBibukVRIDCAdIsH4s4j5vjp2RMV-_rv4OvaE0kCSNCkJQQ_mpQW8NqS4GvXFwhahqJgKJF_6o-j4Ze036XJEbkhNRNyf_LoA0aX9OvtpSnC3gRJ1gWx-mwJHqB7yncUiUxM7XK0DWsbNaa2o-MNGF40Ycb2T9b8Mz8aZe2Y8sZlRXksTCe

Lochee and into the Distance from Dundee Law

y4mjBNbi1AHPTaYgb78F5IatX8JA4fzLou3bNTyI56BieFdISsVFur5Z3DfM060F0lk85fAP7vHa8ARxxiN6xKMi6QevOyhUmsrLPc497DoJ4y5h95In4m1Bvuw0TA-MeRIFFFUIdLXBmdfTWvs2IbFpBFVt0l_mMl41_W3FZmMLjquvbqMJ8_qyLrqBU47TaI6

Looking on Toward Broughty Ferry and out to the North Sea from Dundee Law

Comments. 1. I would like some notable foreground interest in all of them. 2. Noise is all over the place even at these sizes.
Thanks for your comment. 1. Kind of difficult to get any foreground interest with a sheer drop in front of me, as these were taken from hilltops! 2. Can I just point out that the "noise" you speak of is actually real film grain, which is an inherent part of using film? Yes, it could be probably reduced, but I think it adds character. These are much more grainy than with the sort of film emulsions I typically use, but I wanted to try shooting some reflected IR and unfortunately, there are only about 2 IR sensitive film emulsions left. These were taken at ~ISO 12 when including the R72, there is another IR sensitive film available which is less grainy, but an effective speed of ISO 3-6 with an R72 is getting a bit low...
y4mdOx7dZ9-i7mQShNJHiN1Exdr5mhrHYY_uHUwZaXFYgspTTZC7lZ1bhb50ApMZ87GTLB7JjEbbuyrrHHr8Nnvz0xkPC0uL1xn5OJrxhuwxMHgW5FIIrJ1ZTlS5LACi25uSAt_s2YX4hKEVwMn3FLGm0vWhEumRuPrkQwucNxru89Uk0VV7hmPkeH_i5m9u8yC

I think its a valiant effort, using a kit combo that I have and was planning to try with Ilford SFX sometime. I think the photos benefiit when there is more contrast available in the subject, so 5 6 and 7 seem better though I can see exposure was very difficult to nail. It's an interesting set of images also for giving an appreciation of the landscape there, which is new to me. Therefore I think if you have another go, I'd suggest maybe getting closer to the trees or use maybe a longer lens to get closer to the contrasting elements of the subject?

I think its a valiant effort, using a kit combo that I have and was planning to try with Ilford SFX sometime. I think the photos benefiit when there is more contrast available in the subject, so 5 6 and 7 seem better though I can see exposure was very difficult to nail. It's an interesting set of images also for giving an appreciation of the landscape there, which is new to me. Therefore I think if you have another go, I'd suggest maybe getting closer to the trees or use maybe a longer lens to get closer to the contrasting elements of the subject?

Thanks very much, it is quite difficult to judge what the effect will be. These were taken around about 1100 - 1400 when the IR effect should have been strongest as the sun was overhead, but even then it varied depending on which direction I was facing.

You might want to try out Adox HR50 as recommended by @Kevin Allan rather than SFX, which doesn't extend very far into the IR spectrum.

I would have used a longer lens, but unfortunately I've only got an R72 in 49 mm (which alone was probably one of the most expensive filters I've ever brought), which fits my 55 mm and 28 mm lenses, but all my longer M42 lenses take either 62 mm or 67 mm filters. The view of the trees was probably the best I could do under the circumstances, the perspective disguises the sheer drop down the Law (as you should be able to see in the 1st picture, the ones on the Law were taken right by where the memorial on top is)... For reference, here is a crudely stitched together panorama of what is like on top of Dundee Law (pictures courtesy of Google Street View, go here to see for yourself):

y4mkKNHg_gWC_T2q2No1YVekWvQXwPcmkLo7F4uop_i8GRr1cozy2a4RjeUEoz_f8CG0pChoOxPwTpJfPIyLuhDNiEB8-BSX9ZfNL-4dTvDHuy4c3LU-0oMIbiRPfI5ZAB735Op3XhwGJCSI3BTGIhaNMknpQmAln70vo7Vkt5ddgW5tT0X3e0r7D4TQkIA34Py

Last edited:
this sounds extremely difficult so well done! are you able to check how the image will look, I suppose no? If not, maybe worth converting an old digital to have a better idea how the different elements in the scene are going to look in IR to get the contrasty look you're going for. Regarding composition, wide angle from a hilltop is always tricky I find, maybe try a longer lens to pick out some interesting scenes or try from a different location? Looks like a fun project!

Yes, there is noise but they are IMO interesting pictures. Well done Samuel :D

this sounds extremely difficult so well done! are you able to check how the image will look, I suppose no? If not, maybe worth converting an old digital to have a better idea how the different elements in the scene are going to look in IR to get the contrasty look you're going for. Regarding composition, wide angle from a hilltop is always tricky I find, maybe try a longer lens to pick out some interesting scenes or try from a different location? Looks like a fun project!
Thanks very much! Like with any film, you have no idea what it will ultimately look like... Squinting through the filter though can give you a faint idea though as you can sort of the see the result. I was actually quite surprised how well many of them came out well, with normal B&W over the years I've got the experience to judge what one will probably come out like based on the scene, the metering properties of the camera etc, but I had little idea with the IR. I'd had the roll of film in the freezer for a few years and thought I might as well use it once I'd acquired an R72 filter. I probably won't be shooting much IR in future, at least until next Spring now as it's hard enough when it's nice and bright out! I'll probably give it another go from time to time, I want to try using some Adox HR50 as well for a less grainy option.

Most of these were actually shot with a 55 mm lens, I do have a version of the last one with the 28 mm as well. These were just a few out of all the ones on the roll, I also did different styles of photos as well at various locations. This is a self portrait for instance in Balgay Hill Woodland that I also put over in the photos from film section.

y4mI0MOQQdCpiZQEgN1tHKBEiVIga0TMhHebUWn_yz4xGydazSoRDraVv4zvSWE7LRuVLKt067CnWAbgqWQtYAGXqi3hBnL73_wZUGWeVZY7U23VwwpwbH1pqKGkiFgi33dbOrlSDTpjRYhiIV3Yst6J57xdc-bPmcaNX6EEaDxZOypfIcgHO9yqQ2w2z0Ha5yj

Yes, there is noise but they are IMO interesting pictures. Well done Samuel :D

Thanks!

Back