Dunstanburgh Castle Stars

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
You may have seen this thread where I explained that I'd left the QR plate for my tripod at home by mistake. This was taken with the camera resting on the ground, tilted upwards slightly by resting it on the tripod legs that I lay flay on the ground. Not easy in the pitch black with no way of seeing through the viewfinder or live view. It's a bit soft and rather noisy (6400 iso IIRC) but for a 20 second exposure with no tripod I think it's not too bad :)

All opinions and crit more than welcome as always (y)

Dunstanburgh Castle Stars by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Danny, given the circumstances you described in your other thread, that has worked really well. I only tried night time photography once before, at the time of the Perseid shower a year or so ago, using back and white film, and got nothing from a 20 minute exposure. :( I'm guessing you'd have wanted a bit less light in the foreground to allow a longer exposure in the hope of getting more of the milky way? But I think it's a great result and much better than giving up!

Danny, given the circumstances you described in your other thread, that has worked really well. I only tried night time photography once before, at the time of the Perseid shower a year or so ago, using back and white film, and got nothing from a 20 minute exposure. :( I'm guessing you'd have wanted a bit less light in the foreground to allow a longer exposure in the hope of getting more of the milky way? But I think it's a great result and much better than giving up!

Cheers Chris.

Yeah it was a challenge but I suppose I enjoyed it in a kinda perverse way :)

The rogue light on the castle and foreground was from the headlights of tractors and excavators being used to re-landscape the golf course behind me......there's another thing I didn't think I'd have to worry about at 11pm! :)

We'll done Danny, it just tests how resourceful you are!;)
I'm sure we have all done much the same, reading your other thread you missed the bit about kicking the castle wall and throwing the tripod down in disgust!
I did exactly the same when I went to shoot a Bluebell Wood earlier this year. Had the hump so much came home and ordered 3 QR plates:). BTW as a result I also now carry a small bean bag that has been useful on more than one occasion!

Like the shot, nice perspective looks very nice with the stars behind the castle, I don't think the softness etc is much to worry about mate

Back