Early Morning Winchester

I like 1&3 (though I do have some changes that I'd suggest) especially. No 2 just seems empty and plain with nothing much to look at.

No 1 is quite nice, other than it's at a bit of a funny angle. The clock is slightly distracting, as is the building farther right than the tudor style building.

No 3 had a potential to be a great shot, but the lack of light on the statue causes it to be a little boring. A speedlight *might* have helped with this, but I can't say for certain. It is also potentially improvable in post. I do like the angle, but I also wonder what a slightly closer perspective would look like, as in, pointing the camera to look up at the statue. If you use a flash, you'll almost certainly want an assistant or a light stand plus triggers, to get the light even across the statue. I think a high amount of shadow in this image would be slightly distracting.

Just my thoughts at a first sight of these photos. I might post again later after a second look.

I like 1&3 (though I do have some changes that I'd suggest) especially. No 2 just seems empty and plain with nothing much to look at.

Looking at number 2 I can see what you mean, makes a change to see it so empty!!

No 1 is quite nice, other than it's at a bit of a funny angle. The clock is slightly distracting, as is the building farther right than the tudor style building.

I did look at different crops but couldn't work out which way looked best. Any suggestions welcome!!

No 3 had a potential to be a great shot, but the lack of light on the statue causes it to be a little boring. A speedlight *might* have helped with this, but I can't say for certain.

I think there definitely is more scope for improving no 3. Next time I'm working nights will try again with lighting it up.

Thanks for your comments, its all a learning curve!

Looking at number 2 I can see what you mean, makes a change to see it so empty!!
I did look at different crops but couldn't work out which way looked best. Any suggestions welcome!!
I don't think there's a way you could crop it really. I'd try it once more, at a more cornered angle. It's a really nice shot other than the angle. I especially love the really soft balls of light where the lights are in the background. It adds more focus on the building, but still adds interest in the image. Maybe just try shooting it again, but at an angle where you still get those points, but rid of the building on the right (or at least a bit less of it). That single building feels much too warm, but since this was all taken using light that was already there (and looks very good like that!) it's hard to change that.

However, that's just my creative thoughts on the image, from a technical standpoint it's brilliant.

One is very nice - I have one just like it but with the big old Christmas tree in it!
Are you a local to Winchester?

Is the picture on here, would love to see it? I'm from Southampton but work in Winchester.

Maybe just try shooting it again, but at an angle where you still get those points, but rid of the building on the right (or at least a bit less of it). That single building feels much too warm, but since this was all taken using light that was already there (and looks very good like that!) it's hard to change that.

Am definitely going to try it again, and this time will plan it, this morning was more by chance, just wanted 5 mins out the office, and just happened to have the camera with me!!

The lighting and exposure quality is excellent. I like 1 convergence o'clock and all

Thanks for the comment, appreciate it.

Yep like all those shots, No 2 don't you just hate those 'To Let' signs! Really like the Soldier silhouetted against the blue pre dawn. No1 and 3 are my favourites. Excellent exposure, very crisp.

Maybe we could make it a threesome with Jake sometime I'm just up at Basingstoke. Have you ever been over to the water meadows there's some nice opportunities there too.

Yep like all those shots, No 2 don't you just hate those 'To Let' signs! Really like the Soldier silhouetted against the blue pre dawn. No1 and 3 are my favourites. Excellent exposure, very crisp.

Maybe we could make it a threesome with Jake sometime I'm just up at Basingstoke. Have you ever been over to the water meadows there's some nice opportunities there too.

Cheers for the feedback. Yeah would be good to arrange a day round here. I've walked through the water meadows but didn't have camera with me at the time.

Back