Early Nikkor Ai-S lenses (?)

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
For shooting on full-frame D8**;

Are there many older legendary Nikkor Ai-S manual/auto focus lenses which would be 'must have'....?....something like wide angle/standard/short and long telephoto's...?

The likes of; 20mm f3.5 Ai-S - 24mm/28mm f2.8 Ai-S - 50mm 1.4 Ai-S - 135mm f2.8 Ai-S - 200mm f2.8 Ai-S - 300mm f2.8 Ai-S ?

Would love to hear views/thought/experience regards this topic please, thanks. Do we really need the latest and greatest glass..? What's Nikon's true lens classiques..?

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

I still own many legendary Ai-S lenses. Their legends were built
in the past and made a great reputation to Nikon.

However, they should all remain what they are and where they are
since none of those come close to the lens made today… the pro lens
that is.

The 50mm or 55mm f1.2 are great lenses, they can be a bit of a pig to use wide open, particularly on them new-fangled digital cameras but produce stunning results. The 9 bladed 50mm AIs is much sought after but the older 55mm that's been AI'd can be found much cheaper. Also check out the 55mm f2.8 macro and the legendary 105mm f2.5.

Depending on the weight of the lens you are prepared to use, for portrait photography where sharpness is not the be all and end all of lens design, but the 'drawing' and the 'look' of the lens matter; either the 105 mm f1.8 or f2.5 are the lenses to have. The f1.8 in particular gives a beautiful soft rendering at stops from f1.8 to f2.8

My collection.

From left to right. I've put samples in for the AI stuff.

16mm f2.8 fisheye - AF

20mm f1.8 G - AF

24mm f2.8 Pre AI - Been converted properly. Superb performance, later AI-s model is optically different, may be slightly superior. Far corners poor until f8, close performance is great as it is the first nikkor to feature CRC. Made a 30x20 canvas from an image taken with this and it looked spectacular. Sample.

28mm f2 AI-s - My favourite AI-s prime. Great at virtually any aperture, though it does suffer from coma flare wide open and the extreme corners are a tad soft unless stopped down. Fantastic up close. Seven blade aperture makes very sharply defined 14 point sun stars. Sample.

35mm f1.4 AI-s - A Jekyl & Hyde lens, can be superb and can be terrible. I find it better working at sub 10m subject distances, the closer the better. Extreme coma flare wide open. Very low contrast wide open. Sample.

50mm f1.2 AI-s - Another gem. Bokeh can be a tad busy at f1.2 depending on subject - background distances, seems to improve as stopped down. Extreme coma flare again, like the 35, stop down past f4 and its gone. Same low contrast wide open. Done another 30x20 canvas from this one shot at f1.4, again looked great. Sample.

50mm f1.8 AI-s - Not as good as the f1.2 in some respects but doesn't suffer from coma, so much better wide open at night. Past f4 there is nothing between them. (except the f1.2 costs nearly 10 times as much) Sample. (off old canon 20D so not really comparable)

55mm f2.8 Micro - This is the AF version of the old AI-s lens. Same optics, but AF and able to reach 1:1 magnification. (wasn't made for long) I can say with some certainty that this is without a doubt the sharpest lens I own. Beats the other 50's at f2.8. Sample.

135mm f2.8 AI - A good lens, compact for it's focal length/aperture. Doesn't get a lot of use any more as I prefer to use an adapted mamiya 150mm f2.8 . Seven straight aperture blades makes very defined heptagonal bokeh when stopped down. Also suffers from strong longitudinal CA. (Which my mamiya doesn't suffer) Sample. (from kodachrome film)

300mm f2.8 AI-s - This was my first nikkor lens and what got me to move from canon. It was a bargain at ~£400 that I couldn't miss. It's a very heavy lens, but not as bad as the modern versions. It is very sharp even wide open, though suffers some slight purple fringing on strong contrast areas. The corners don't perform quite as well as the centre. Sample.

The only other AI-s lens I want is the 105mm f2.5 which is legendary for good reason. It has lovely smooth bokeh and is very sharp. (I borrowed one once and didn't want to give it back) The 500mm f4 AI-P I'd have in a heartbeat and the 200mm f2 is another I'd consider but they are quite expensive still.

Last edited:
Peter, any of the following I use on a regular basis with a D800 & D810 and are all "Excellent".(y)

20mm F3.5 ais,
28mm F2.8 ais,
55mm F2.8 ais, (Micro Nikkor)
105mm F2.5 ais,
135mm F2.8 ais,

George.

Last edited:
The 105 F2.5 AiS is a wonderful lens

There is a fairly long thread on them over on FM here, and a slightly shorter one also on FM here both will give you plenty of info on the Ai & AiS lenses

Last edited:
The 105mm f/2.5 is a wonderful lens. Yes, some newer portrait lenses probably have better coatings, or better coma control, but the 105mm still has a magic to it.

However, they should all remain what they are and where they are
since none of those come close to the lens made today… the pro lens
that is.
I tend to agree w/ this. The older lenses were not designed for the demands of digital sensors. They tend to have many more optical errors (CA, Co, etc) and more frequently misfocus (if AF capable).

I bought a Nikon 20mm AI-S f/3.5 on the bay yesterday, I'll report back if it's any good.

(Although I've read the thread back and seen it mentioned several times!)

Last edited:
the 105mm f2.5 would be my first add 24mm 2.8 and 50mm f1.4 sold my 105mm and always regretted letting it go still have a lot of old Nikon glass 50mm f1:1.2 but I believe the 1.4 1.8 and even the f 2.0 are better wide openTBH

I bought a Nikon 20mm AI-S f/3.5 on the bay yesterday, I'll report back if it's any good.

(Although I've read the thread back and seen it mentioned several times!)

Superb lens Stuart, have used one for a long time on a Nikon D800 and D810, and before that on Nikon film cameras. Also makes an excellent close up/macro lens when reversed onto APS-C or FF cameras.(y)

George.

Superb lens Stuart, have used one for a long time on a Nikon D800 and D810, and before that on Nikon film cameras. Also makes an excellent close up/macro lens when reversed onto APS-C or FF cameras.(y)

George.
Excellent, glad to hear it. Ive been after a lightweight wide prime now for some time, but didn't want to spend too much in case I don't get on with the lack of zoom. Also glad to hear it performs well on modern high resolution FX sensors.

How do you find its sharpness at infinity? Apparently the slightly weakest part of the lens.

At 230g or so, can't go wrong. Got a mint unused since the 80s one for £185!

How do you find its sharpness at infinity? Apparently the slightly weakest part of the lens.

No problem whatsoever Stuart, its good in all departments. There's a bit of of vignetting/slightly darker corners wide open (easily corrected in LR or PS) but from F5.6 onwards its excellent. I've never experienced any lack of sharpness at infinity.(y)

George.

No problem whatsoever Stuart, its good in all departments. There's a bit of of vignetting/slightly darker corners wide open (easily corrected in LR or PS) but from F5.6 onwards its excellent. I've never experienced any lack of sharpness at infinity.(y)

George.
Cheers, George. I look forward to giving it a go now!

Stu

Back