Early work scanned with a Nikon Coolscan 9000ED

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
With the discovery of a Coolscan 120 and 35mm film scanner in my new job, I couldn't wait to start bringing in my ring-binders of film and start re-scanning a selection of my favorites. After much fighting with the installed Vuescan software, I managed to get the scanner to to it's thing and managed to scan just a dozen single shots. The payoff is one the reasons why us film nuts choose this medium which digital still can't touch - 4000dpi 48-bit files that equate to 80MP files usually around 500MB each when outputted to 300dpi! Imagine those files printed...

Here's the fruits of my first Saturday spent on Coolscan duty...

Scan-110528-0001 by ~~Mike~~, on Flickr

Scan-110528-0002 by ~~Mike~~, on Flickr

Scan-110528-0003 by ~~Mike~~, on Flickr

Scan-110528-0004 by ~~Mike~~, on Flickr

Scan-110528-0005 by ~~Mike~~, on Flickr

Scan-110528-0006 by ~~Mike~~, on Flickr

Nice work Mike. It's an awesome bit of kit but a steep learning curve. I'm not a huge fan of Nikon's own scanning software but I really couldn't get the hang of Vuescan at all.

Nice work Mike. It's an awesome bit of kit but a steep learning curve. I'm not a huge fan of Nikon's own scanning software but I really couldn't get the hang of Vuescan at all.

I was the other way around :LOL: did not like Vuesan much and the Nikon software works for me.

Nice bunch of images Mike.

1 I would drag into Photoshop and use selection margue plus curves and levels to bring some more detal out of the area around the boats. Bit like dodging and burning.

The first of the Sea Gull looks odd, bit like it is over sharpened? :shrug:

I do like the last two images the way the lass is looking and the bokeh effect and the colours on the bridge look really nice.

~goes off to look for medium format slide film~

Thanks for the words. Never been a genius at processing scans after taking the shot, but you're right, all that I've done to these afterward was crop them slightly, mess with the contrast and save... None of these have been sharpened much - just a slight sharpen after reducing in size (ie 30% at 1 pixel, 0 threshold). The gulls just look like that - a bit odd indeed.

Matt, 2 Bronica medium format cameras - a ERTS 645 and an SQA 6x6. 35mm Canon EOS3 for the gulls. River and the blonde was on Delta 400, the park scene Delta 100, trees at the end - those were using Adox 50 using a red filter and the market scene on Pan 50 I believe. Colour was Velvia - either 50 or 100, except the gulls which were on Sensia 100.

Did a curves adjustment on the dark bit and upped the levels a bit for the river shot... prefer the original, more arty, less full on HDR vibe going on!

Scan-110528-0001 by ~~Mike~~, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mike, I remember that fourth one - the "Ice Maiden" - she's looking out of the picture with a stare that I can feel my blood starting to freeze in my veins... Living proof that good looking and attractive don't always go hand in hand!

Back