Ebay Help, Selling, Item Selling For Too Much?!?!?

Kieran, you only have 1 feedback score yourself, so ask yourself why should buyers trust you?
Dont get me wrong, I have sold to ebayers with zero score many times, only once being caught out, but put yourself in a buyers shoes.......

Kieran, you only have 1 feedback score yourself, so ask yourself why should buyers trust you?
Dont get me wrong, I have sold to ebayers with zero score many times, only once being caught out, but put yourself in a buyers shoes.......

i did get a message about that, which i replied honestly as my feedback was 5 years ago and dont really use ebay

i did get a message about that, which i replied honestly as my feedback was 5 years ago and dont really use ebay

Well at least you replied to the query, which the top bidder did not, but still, I think you did the right thing.
Why did you not sell it on here? Much less (most of the time) hassle!

Well at least you replied to the query, which the top bidder did not, but still, I think you did the right thing.
Why did you not sell it on here? Much less (most of the time) hassle!

i did try to but maximum i offer i had was £260 inc postage which simply wasnt enough for me

i did try to but maximum i offer i had was £260 inc postage which simply wasnt enough for me

Seems you did the right thing twice then bud!
Hope it all goes well for you. (y)

Hmm, but only an idiot would post it?

I wouldn't have used bank transfer or cheque as payment options, myself.

There are people in this world who don't trust paypal (an unregulated (in the UK) bank...) Any items I've bought from the classifieds here have been paid for either in cash (for low value items) or by cheque (I have a mistrust of BTs too!). In any cheque dealings, I've been happy to wait for the cheque to clear before the items have been despatched.

E-Bay? Let's just say that I trust that as far as I trust paypal!

If you delve a little deeper, you'll see that Kieran has 3 historic feedbacks as a seller with 2 of those being negative. That would be enough to stop me bidding for a start. A bit rich him questioning someone else's integrity under those circumstances in my opinion.

Last edited:
Worth noting that regards second chance offers once the auction has finished....

The winning bidder has 7 or 10 days to pay, including the time before you can open an unpaid item case - and the time they have to respond to that case.

If you choose to 2nd chance it within that time, and that 2nd chance offer is accepted, and then the winning bidder pays......... you find yourself in the position of having "sold" 2 items, of which you only have 1 to sell.

The only sure way to do it - is to open the unpaid case - wait for the time to elapse, and then 2nd chance it. By then the under bidder will have probably bought elsewhere though :LOL:

Also - if you like the price and the bidder it's currently at - you can "end auction to high bidder" at any time and not worry about any last minute 0 feedback bidders.

As a regular ebayer I would not even think for a second to bid on this due to your feedback. Good luck to you if it sells and you get paid, watch out for future chargebacks. Make sure you note serial numbers and any distinguishing marks and finally, if you do sell and someone comes to pick it up, do not let them pay via PayPal.

Just goes to show that low feedback (and negative at that) seem to have no effect on some buyers as they are still happy to buy.
Based on what I could see on eBay alone, I would see buying this item as a huge risk and wouldn't go near it myself.

As for Paypal, that is very secure and has great backup and it's use is spread across many internet business now. Only the truly paranoid would have any fear of it.

Paypal for collection items is not secure - as you have no means of proving the item delivered.

Many tales exist of persons collecting an item and subsequently filing an Item not received claim. Which Paypal pay out on. Leaving the seller out of pocket.

As a regular ebayer I would not even think for a second to bid on this due to your feedback. Good luck to you if it sells and you get paid, watch out for future chargebacks. Make sure you note serial numbers and any distinguishing marks and finally, if you do sell and someone comes to pick it up, do not let them pay via PayPal.

if you read my post regarding this earlier
i could of simply deleted my ebay and opend another?
but i didnt my ebay feedback was over 5 years ago

if you read my post regarding this earlier
i could of simply deleted my ebay and opend another?
but i didnt my ebay feedback was over 5 years ago

When you are competing against many other sellers you cannot afford to have such negative feedback, buyers are skimming through ads, they will judge your text, photographs and feedback within just a few seconds - they will not notice your feedback is so old, they will just see two negatives.

People judge a book by its cover all the time. I have judged you by your posts over the last few days and now by your ebay listing. I am sure you have judged me and everyone else as well, even subconsciously, that is life, but you need to understand it and make the most of it to get ahead of your competitors.

Back to your predicament - yes it looks like the bidding is too high for your item and the feedback from the buyers could be dodgy, you may find that someone else selling a camera is trying to spoil your auction, then again on ebay you get all sorts of people willing to spend over the odds. true story - a friend of mine who started selling on ebay, listed a load of low value junk around his house to try and get his feedback up, his first listing was a toy parrot worth about £2 max. It sold for £114 and the buyer paid by cheque which cleared. You never know - you could get lucky.

You never know, somebody who left the seller negative feedback has had a 5 year grudge against him and is trying to ruin his auction...

Distance selling is never really a safe way to sell but that's how things are done now. Personally I would never bid on any item with a seller that has bad feedback or ones that insist on PayPal only.

I don't really understand his thinking from the off. He's selling a camera, kit lens, a battery grip and he's complaining about being offered too much money for it. I've always considered that the whole idea was to make as much money as possible from things you're trying to sell. Or have I been doing it wrong all this time?

The camera and lens alone would cost someone a lot more on Amazon so the current highest bid of £360 obviously seems like a bargain to someone.

I had this happen to me many times on ebay, people bidding on my items and they had no feedback and just registered. I often wondered if it could have been the highest bidder who had second thoughts?

It could be any number of reasons, from the highest bidder deciding they don't want it as they had bid too much, as they may have seen the same item going cheaper. Instead of retracting the bid, simply outbid themselves with a fake account.

Yes it could be a simple scam to steal the camera. Maybe it is genuine and the person buying item, simply did not have an account and made one in a hurry!

Just a case of deciding what one you think it to be.

PS the reason I thought the above, was because when my item failed to sell to winning bidder with no feedback on a newly created account, I offered it to the next highest bidder. The next highest bidder refused to answer my messages!

Last edited:
Kieran should be happy, I see his auction finished at £380 and won by the bidder with 39 feedback.

I estimate he will clear around £330 of that after eBay and Paypal, still pretty good as he said the most he has previously been offered is £260. Sometimes I suppose the ebay risk is worth it.

KieranSLR said:
basically i listed my D3200 on ebay, its still selling with under 1day left, the issue i have is gone for way over what i thought it would, some take this a hey a bonus, but im some what doubtful on this, the highest bidder is currently a person with 0 feedback and only just joined ebay

ive tried to contact the buyer but ive had no reply, but the person who bid before at only £10 less, (still a shock at that price) has good feedback over 30,

should i let it run and see if they buy it? but risk them not and having to re-list it again?
or can i cancel the persons bid with 0 feedback so it goes to the next person?

heres the item :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130831558520?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

sorry if this is in the wrong sections

thanks kieran

This happened to me a couple of months back...

I was selling a ps vita and I listed it with a buy it now as well as bids. That same night I sold it for £380 (which I was extremely happy about). The buyer then sent me a pm asking for me to send all PayPal details to him/her, as well as email details. Obviously I replied with a big fat f*** off! The buyer was new with zero feedback. I reported it to eBay and they gave the buyer a ban. Only thing was I had to wait 4 days approx before being able to re-list. So all in all, they're just massive time wasters!!

- you can change settings to no longer accept bids from new or negative buyers!

I don't really understand his thinking from the off. He's selling a camera, kit lens, a battery grip and he's complaining about being offered too much money for it. I've always considered that the whole idea was to make as much money as possible from things you're trying to sell. Or have I been doing it wrong all this time?

The camera and lens alone would cost someone a lot more on Amazon so the current highest bid of £360 obviously seems like a bargain to someone.

My thoughts exactly, why put something on an auction site and moan the bidding's too high ?

sorry I was going by the thread title, and i quote

"Ebay Help, Selling, Item Selling For Too Much?!?!?"

I must be mistaken !!

I have been using Fleabay for many years and only had one bad experience. A Lady bought some Radio Control equipment from me on her Ebay account as as birthday present for her husband, just as the auction ended she told me her husband had bought a new set for himself, but she would still have mine for her son.

She paid by PayPal, I sent the stuff Signed For and it was delivered. A couple of days later PayPal informed me the buyer had claimed to her Bank that her Card had been used without permission by her husband and there was a Backcharge, they gave her the money back out of my account.

I contacted the husband who was a joint account holder, he gave me a sorrowful tale about marriage break-up etc. and was sorry about how things went but couldn't help me.

Neither would Ebay or Paypal even though I sent them all copies of messages showing she had bought the items, not the husband. They had both the goods and the money.

So I wrote him a nice letter telling him to be at home on a certain day because two "Friends" of mine living nearby would be calling to recover the goods. He sent them back First Class Courier two days later.

Rankbadyin said:
I have been using Fleabay for many years and only had one bad experience. A Lady bought some Radio Control equipment from me on her Ebay account as as birthday present for her husband, just as the auction ended she told me her husband had bought a new set for himself, but she would still have mine for her son.

She paid by PayPal, I sent the stuff Signed For and it was delivered. A couple of days later PayPal informed me the buyer had claimed to her Bank that her Card had been used without permission by her husband and there was a Backcharge, they gave her the money back out of my account.

I contacted the husband who was a joint account holder, he gave me a sorrowful tale about marriage break-up etc. and was sorry about how things went but couldn't help me.

Neither would Ebay or Paypal even though I sent them all copies of messages showing she had bought the items, not the husband. They had both the goods and the money.

So I wrote him a nice letter telling him to be at home on a certain day because two "Friends" of mine living nearby would be calling to recover the goods. He sent them back First Class Courier two days later.

You in the cartel? (y)

This is often a scam relying on someone being so happy they are getting much more money than they thought.

Someone tried this with me once. They sent me a realistic Paypal Email but from a fake Paypal address saying that the money (twice what I expected) was being held until I provided a tracking number i.e. posted it. They rely on people not realizing it isn't genuine and posting the item out. Obviously no money ever arrives and you aren't covered by Paypal because they were never used.

Rankbadyin said:
He made a wise decision, my note was very polite, but left no doubt in the mind of the reader that the goods, or the money, or both would be recovered by people who only ask once.

Yeeeah buddy!

I did a transaction with a first time seller and it was a bloody nightmare! The item which wasn't photography related but expensive electronics turned out to be an earlier model and it was packed soooooo badly literally a frozen pea in a baked bean tin! It was damaged and I was fuming!! After a few heated emails the seller offered me a full refund or part refund, as the damage was superficial and the item worked I took the partial refund!! Bug I will tread very carefully when it comes to new ebayers again!!

He made a wise decision, my note was very polite, but left no doubt in the mind of the reader that the goods, or the money, or both would be recovered by people who only ask once.

Sounds like you have been watching too many films. I guess he is just lucky that he didn't end up "sleeping with the fishes". :)

I never post anything out until I've moved the payment from paypal to my bank account. Paypal cant take it back it then.

I never post anything out until I've moved the payment from paypal to my bank account. Paypal cant take it back it then.

Sure about that? I thought they could remove funds from the linked bank account if there isn't enough to cover it in the paypal account?

Back