Ebay lens quality... would you accept this??

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys,

I bought a 2nd hand Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S lens off ebay. It said in the advert it had signs of wear from years of use but the optics were clean and it produced good images.

when i messaged the seller before buying it and asked if it had any scratches on the front or rear glass elements they said from recollection the glass was fine.

the photos on the advert were lowish resolution and there were no specific pictures of the glass, but the buyer had a good rep so I bought it.

this is what the front glass looks like....

johncook007

johncook007

http://s1349.photobucket.com/albums...=photo12_zpsac1e9d0d.jpg&evt=user_media_share

http://s1349.photobucket.com/albums...=photo14_zps45a5b82f.jpg&evt=user_media_share

there looks to be some sort of crack on the front piece of glass at the periphery from the 6 to 8 o'clock position.

I was pretty shocked, so have asked them to explain it. the seller seems to be acting on behalf of someone else and is contacting them but says it was sold as seen and I was told about the condition of the lens.

I was expecting the body to be a bit battered but not the glass.

what do you guys think?

the lens works, the images are fairly sharp, but I'm wondering if they would be sharper if it wasnt for all the scratches over the centre.

whats his returns policy ? i know he isnt a full time trader but it should still be listed..

I wouldnt accept it in a month of sundays..thats a disgusting bit of glass..

however I ahvent seen the sellers description so...

PS How can it be sold as seen if you hadn't seen it?

Them optics are disgraceful, contact PayPal and put in a complaint, due not in condition advertised. PayPal will get you to return the lens and him to refund you.

Them optics are disgraceful, contact PayPal and put in a complaint, due not in condition advertised. PayPal will get you to return the lens and him to refund you.

Do this immediately!!! Shocking.

make sure you do that recorded delivery... just saying.. he may say never recieved...

photo12_zpsac1e9d0d.jpg

Is this even up for debate? Return immediately. This is very obviously not as described.

yes if I send it back it would be insured delivery.

its all very odd, I opened up a case on ebay about it, and the seller is responding. but he's being a bit odd saying he is acting on behalf of someone else (i.e. selling it for a newspaper agency) and he hadnt seen the lens for a month before shipping it but thought the optics were clean and the picture quality is fine etc... He's quite surprised I have a problem with it!

He's offering compensation but states its unlikely the seller will take it back as its sold as per the description (none of which showed the above or mentioned the glass).

if I knew the glass was in this condition I wouldnt have bid on it in the first place. really disappointed.

the lens arrived well packaged, but it hasnt got a lens cover (unsurprising looking at the front glass) or a lens hood. Its taken an absolute battering in its lifetime.

he denies knowing about the chip on the periphery.

Hi bought a camera sold as seen on ebay, were the seller told me via messages it was working.
the camera arrived dead on arrival :(
The advert was private and no return accepted :(
Complained to ebay and paypal but got nothing back.
I was advised to return it at my own risk, got my money back but the seller give me a bad feedback.

He's offering compensation but states its unlikely the seller will take it back as its sold as per the description (none of which showed the above or mentioned the glass).

You said the description says the optics were clean. The optics are obviously not, it is not as described, and no amount of compensation can fix that amount of damage (unless he compensates you what you paid for it in full). Open a case, and demand a full refund, and nothing less.

Sellers wasting time with back stories, excuses and random reasons does not detract from the fact it was not as described.

I wouldn't have touched it from that ad, the wording and photography are far too vague.

Paypal will probably take your side of things anyway though, or you could ask for a 50% refund.

You said the description says the optics were clean. The optics are obviously not, it is not as described, and no amount of compensation can fix that amount of damage (unless he compensates you what you paid for it in full). Open a case, and demand a full refund, and nothing less.

Sellers wasting time with back stories, excuses and random reasons does not detract from the fact it was not as described.

The description - "This lens has had good use, as is used daily for National Newspapers and for Premier League football matches on a weekly basis. Obviously has marks from wear throughout the years, but the lens works well, and still produces excellent images on a daily basis for us. We are upgrading equipment and think they would make good use for a start up sports or press photographer, who cant afford to pay £2000 for the new 70-200mm 2.8 lens".

No mention of scratches but no mention of optics at all infact. Hence my comment that I'd have steered well clear.

The description - "This lens has had good use, as is used daily for National Newspapers and for Premier League football matches on a weekly basis. Obviously has marks from wear throughout the years, but the lens works well, and still produces excellent images on a daily basis for us. We are upgrading equipment and think they would make good use for a start up sports or press photographer, who cant afford to pay £2000 for the new 70-200mm 2.8 lens".

No mention of scratches but no mention of optics at all infact. Hence my comment that I'd have steered well clear.

I was just going based on what the OP had written. Of course we would all like to avoid these things, but the OP is not in the position to do that now! :shrug:

yes that was the exact description!

hence why I sent the seller a question specifically asking about the glass and was told it was fine. it clearly isnt though.

True, but for anyone that might read this thread then find themselves looking at a lens with similarly description/photography on ebay and in that case my advice is walk away. If it doesn't expressly say it's good/clean/unscratched it's probably because it's not.

Very important - in your contact with him under no circumstances imply you will give negative feedback. He deserves it, and will probably get it when all's said and done, but paypal absolutely hate people threatening negative feedback. Open a dispute, be polite and firm, make sure you send it back registered and then the protection should kick in, irrespective of what he's written at the end of the ebay ad.

Totally agree.

You need to be firm and insist on a refund. The few times I have used ebay been good so far but people like this seller makes hesitate when buying on ebay

Jesus, I wouldn't even buy it for the spares! Very poor show for a seller, he would have known about the condition and instead, just tried the risk of listing it. Once eBay is involved, you'll get your money back hopefully. Dare I ask, did you pay much for the lens?

Jesus, I wouldn't even buy it for the spares! Very poor show for a seller, he would have known about the condition and instead, just tried the risk of listing it. Once eBay is involved, you'll get your money back hopefully. Dare I ask, did you pay much for the lens?

You needn't ask, there's only a few of them in completed listings.

Very important - in your contact with him under no circumstances imply you will give negative feedback. He deserves it, and will probably get it when all's said and done, but paypal absolutely hate people threatening negative feedback. Open a dispute, be polite and firm, make sure you send it back registered and then the protection should kick in, irrespective of what he's written at the end of the ebay ad.

I wouldnt do that, I've been fair and honest. The images it takes are not that bad in fairness, but not happy with the big crack at the corner of the glass, might suddenly get worse if it takes any more knocks.

I'm 100% sure that PayPal will immediately find in your favour, the item is not as described.

You've almost nothing to worry about, don't even think about 50% refunds etc.

The returns policy of the seller is totally irrelevant because they are signing up to Paypal's terms and conditions, which are heavily weighted in favour of the buyer.

But as mentioned, you must return it recorded delivery (*with tracking that can be looked up on a website - important*), but open up a dispute on ebay before you return it. In fact just follow the instructions that the dispute gives you - they will first advise you to try to resolve the problem (so ask the guy for a refund and arrange the return, if they refuse then go back to PayPal and you will win). You will have to bear the return postage charge though.

I can't remember if you've got 45 or 60 days to open the dispute, but either way get on with it now.

Last edited:
The dispute process for paypal it totally on the buyers side, and it's clear this lens is not as described, including the pre-sale query. It looks like the lens has been thrown off a cliff!
For the seller to start making excuses about third parties being involved is irrelevant as far as paypal are concerned so ignore these excuses and you will almost certainly get a full paypal refund.

Send it back so it requires a signature and you can get a proof of delivery, UPS definitely do this. Then open a dispute with a PayPal and then escalate it so its dealt with by PayPal, you explain what happened to PayPal themselves. At some point theyll probably tell you to return the item (even if you have done) and to post the tracking number and courier. They will then review it and more than likely give you a refund. It can take about 2 weeks so just be patient, ive had to do this twice (open a dispute with PayPal) one was for a lens and the other was for an Xbox 360, neither were over eBay but were online shops so it should still apply. Most of the time PayPal side with the buyer, as said above :)

Use Paypal dispute, not ebay as you can only use one and Paypal is quicker at sorting it out in my experience.

Heather

Wonder if they tried to claim that these didnt affect image quality???

You really have to wonder what the seller was thinking was going to happen when the buyer received this lens.

It would be fair enough if they had been totally honest about the condition and provided decent images.

They have been very covert hoping the buyer would accept the item as it is. Hard to believe considering the disgraceful condition.

I had a tatty 80-200 which I sold on eBay. The front and rear elements were clean but the body was battered. I added a totally honest description and about 12 decent pictures showing the lens from all angles. The buyer was in no doubt what they were buying and I recieved positive feedback.

I'm very careful when buying on eBay as there are so many dishonest people selling shoddy gear now.

Like everyone has said I'd imagine PayPal and eBay will take your side and you should get your money back. (y)

Oh by the way, don't be put off, the 80-200 is an amazing lens I love the colours it produces.

I'd certainly return it. Doesn't matter about their returns policy, that only applies if you change your mind i.e. if you win an auction item you can't change your mind at a later stage.

There is always a problem with condition descriptions, one man's "mint" is another man's "poor" however I am sure that the person selling this lens could have taken a proper photo of the said lens to show its condition. They are withholding information by not describing it properly. Almost 100% certain Paypal/Ebay will find in your favour.

Remember to send insured and tracked/traced.

Take plenty of photos showing the damage before you return it. This is in case the seller tries to claim that the damage occurred on its return journey. PayPal will look after you as long you keep things civil and follow their process. Don't lose your cool.

The bad news is that you probably won't be able to get back the return postage costs. But that's still preferable to being saddled with a duff lens.

Where does the wear and tear bit come into it. That looks like it's been through a war zone. Definitely wouldn't accept that, the listing should have read as a paperweight for sale not as a lens.

Totally agree, it's been dropped and kicked on tarmac judging by the plastics being beaten to buggery, even in a case I can't imagine grains of sand causing that much damage on the glass

if thats someones idea of optics that are fine then I'd hate to see bad optics.
Good luck with your resolution of this..
Can you post this guys ebay name - I'll put him on my ignore at all costs list..

How does a lens, even one that gets used every day, get in that state? Shocking! :shake:

Mike.P said:
That must have been some time ago as sellers haven't been able to give bad feedback to buyers for years now.

As for the lens: That's just nasty ... Paypal dispute and negative feedback.

Yes it was few years ago, i try to only by local and pick up now.

Yes it was few years ago, i try to only by local and pick up now.

Any sensible seller would never sell to someone who picks up. Because the buyer can then file a claim saying "I never got my stuff!" and the seller then has no proof it was handed over. PayPay will find in favour of the buyer, and you lose.

If it works for you that's great but if you're selling, never, ever allow people to pick up or arrange their own courier. It's inviting them to steal from you.

(caveat - making a nonsense of my "never" claim - to add if it's valuable items. I sold a crappy old sofa bed - sold as such - recently for 40 quid and that was fine to be picked up. But a lens - never).

Last edited:
Any sensible seller would never sell to someone who picks up. Because the buyer can then file a claim saying "I never got my stuff!" and the seller then has no proof it was handed over. PayPay will find in favour of the buyer, and you lose.

If it works for you that's great but if you're selling, never, ever allow people to pick up or arrange their own courier. It's inviting them to steal from you.

(caveat - making a nonsense of my "never" claim - to add if it's valuable items. I sold a crappy old sofa bed - sold as such - recently for 40 quid and that was fine to be picked up. But a lens - never).

Pickup usually entails cash on pick up, he can't really dispute it with any one then, why would you accept paypal on something he picks up, does not make sense, I all ways offer free pickup, that way I can save on fee's with not using paypal.

Back