eBay/PayPal rant of the day

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Had to share this one with you

Today I sold a BIN item on eBay to a buyer based in France.

Instant payment was made including the international shipping.

Not five hours later the buyer was able to open an Item not Received dispute, how is that even possible, your not supposed to be able to do that until after the estimated delivery date has passed.

Its Sunday, how was I supposed to post it and get it delivered in under five hours.

Think I am going to stop selling to the French, I sell all over the world and only ever have issues wit the French.

Rant Off

most unreasonable of you. You cannot ship internaltionally within 5 hours on a Sunday? Disappointed you didn't offer the option of deliverting it yourself. this is why people are failing on ebay. no commitment to their customers.

That's strange, every month ebay email me with a pointless 'Her's how we protected your account' story which always says prevented x disputes being opened too early. Maybe it doesn't apply if bought through ebay.fr?

Had it happen to me on a UK sale. Item not received dispute was opened within 2 hours of sale..
I looked at the buyers feedback, and of 20, 18 were positives (you can't leave negative for a buyer) but all saying the same.. SCAMMER. claims items not received. I contacted eBay with this evidence expecting them to ban the buyer..

eBay actually sided with the buyer!

It was that moment that I closed my eBay shop.

I have had to wait up-to 2 months to open a dispute for items shipped from china, because that's how long they estimated the Sanpan would take to deliver it, as you said they must have different rules on this in France.

Just added France to the list of destinations I no longer ship to.

Paul

eBay are a joke. Got stung many years ago on a phone sale. I refused to pay eBay and offered the amount i was left nett, but they declined. In the end i was £100 up and simply opened a new account but only use them as a last resort for low value stuff.

The French are rude, smelly and their food is over rated. I'd not bother with them.

The French are rude, smelly and their food is over rated. I'd not bother with them.
the only thing i like about france is flying over the s*** hole and using the planes toilet in the hope it has a leak :wave:

Buyer's remorse? Might have decided they didn't want something.

I rarely buy anything from ebay these days but the last few times that I have, I've received a message to say the item has been dispatched. Even if it's Sunday at midnight and delivery is by RM recorded/registered. Perhaps the buyer isn't happy because you haven't immediately dispatched the item.

dear monsier frogelet - on Sundays we only offer ballistic delivery as an option - please stand by to receive your item straight down at mach 3

Actually I have the opposite problem that I was wondering about. I got a small value item from eBay that after 10 days, had not arrived. I raised an 'item not arrived' and the seller has a proof of postage so I don't doubt they sent it but wondering who takes the hit. Me? The seller? eBay? Any thoughts?

Actually I have the opposite problem that I was wondering about. I got a small value item from eBay that after 10 days, had not arrived. I raised an 'item not arrived' and the seller has a proof of postage so I don't doubt they sent it but wondering who takes the hit. Me? The seller? eBay? Any thoughts?
The seller should bear the burden. Proof of postage is not proof of receipt.

With proof of postage the sender can, after a certain amount of time, claim the loss from royal mail.
The recipient cannot.

It is the senders responsibility to ensure the recipient receives their goods, and the seller can make the claim. They take responsibility and refund the buyer.

On another recent occasion I post an item to a buyer in Luxembourg, sent it International tracked and signed.

Eventually to customer contact me to say its not been delivered although the tracking service said it had.

It turned out the Royal mail had delivered it to an address in Luxembourg USA not Luxembourg Europe as addressed. What's the chances the Luxembourg USA having an identical address to Luxembourg Europe.

the replacement item arrived safe and sound even though it had the exact same address as the original.

sometimes you cannot make these thing up.

I sold an item for a car, writhin a day he wanted to send it back as faulty, it was new, I think he's opened it and swapped something electronic inside but I can't prove it so he gets a refund PLUS post both ways.

Just lately eBay is becoming a right joke, especially if you run a business selling used items as they have up to 28 days by law to do whatever they want with it then send it back

Free tool hire, why pay to rent one for a day when you can have it for a month for the cost of return postage.

I sold an item for a car, writhin a day he wanted to send it back as faulty, it was new, I think he's opened it and swapped something electronic inside but I can't prove it so he gets a refund PLUS post both ways.

Just lately eBay is becoming a right joke, especially if you run a business selling used items as they have up to 28 days by law to do whatever they want with it then send it back

Free tool hire, why pay to rent one for a day when you can have it for a month for the cost of return postage.

The law is 14 calendar days, but I understand what you're saying.
We sell laptop chargers and often we would get orders for delivery to a hotel. You could guarantee that it would be coming back within a week. Businessman goes on business trip, leaves his charger at home. You know the rest.

Now we won't deliver to a hotel, unless of course it is the hotel placing the order for themselves.

Last edited:

The seller takes the hit.

If eBay are no help rasied a dispute with PayPal, without proof of delivery they will find in your favor.

They will refund you and recover the funds from the seller in house or via external colletions agency.

The law is 14 calendar days, but I understand what you're saying.
We sell laptop chargers and often we would get orders for delivery to a hotel. You could guarantee that it would be coming back within a week. Businessman goes on business trip, leaves his charger at home. You know the rest.

Now we won't deliver to a hotel, unless of course it is the hotel placing the order for themselves.

It's changed from 7 days to 14 for them to notify you they want to return it, they have an additional 14 days to actually return it, so they can have it for 14 days then tell you they want to send it back then hang on to it for another 2 weeks.

Your right to cancel

Your right to cancel an order for goods starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

If your order consists of multiple goods, the 14 days runs from when you get the last of the batch.

This 14 day period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, you then have a further 14 days to actually send the goods back.

Back