ebay

I had my canon SX1 IS up at a BIN of £305. It sold for £310!

Ebay is crazy and illogical, sometimes it works in your favour, other times it doesnt.

:bang: Your hard work - :thinking: not a blonde by anychance at all are you :cautious: :p

this one ? -

Bidder Information
Bidder: m***m( 2 )
Item description: Item Title: MINOLTA AF 35-70mm for SONY ALPHA a200 a350 a330 a380
Bids on this item: 4

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 27
Items bid on: 8
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 33%
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

it would be naive to think that he's a true buyer and really bidding on things. there was a guy revealed in the news doing this . but he was pushing the bid on bigger things, e.g. his car or something like that. I guess this is just one of those cases - I don't care I'll put a max 100 because I want the item and then the others are just pushers. well, you probably have seen stuff like that :)

Might be totally genuine, but when the bids are just enough to push up those of a previous bidder without ever being the winning bidder it looks a bit :cautious:

it just amazes me. that bidding war. if he's a fake, he's crazy to push it that high up and risk being the winner. I bet cases like these happen all the time in ebay. I'm trying to analyse it, but it just doesn't make sense. 40quid - that's the 18-55mm money. not kit lens from 1993.

it just amazes me. that bidding war. if he's a fake, he's crazy to push it that high up and risk being the winner. I bet cases like these happen all the time in ebay. I'm trying to analyse it, but it just doesn't make sense. 40quid - that's the 18-55mm money. not kit lens from 1993.

Some people are greedy.....:naughty:

well, as long as someone is paying. it's just that I don't understand it. it was no Harrods or something.
can't blame the seller.

yeah, but - as I said , it doesn't make sense to risk so much on a such low priced item. I think it's too much of a hassle to relist it again etc, etc. or he was getting an adrenaline rush, the world might never know ! :D
I've learned today (well, yesterday) that ebay is a fun place to be ! :LOL:
o.k. I'm off to bed finally.

yeah, but - as I said , it doesn't make sense to risk so much on a such low priced item. I think it's too much of a hassle to relist it again etc, etc. or he was getting an adrenaline rush, the world might never know ! :D
I've learned today (well, yesterday) that ebay is a fun place to be ! :LOL:
o.k. I'm off to bed finally.

Could be offering second chance offers? get a bite, reel him in then say other bidder has changed his mind you can have it for your last bid. I have received a few second chance offers after just losing out.

Any second chance offers I have ever received I counter offer with the price I would have won at if the other bidder had stayed out of the equation.

But going back to the original question of "what am I doing wrong?"
I feel a few good answers have been given.
But the only outcome so far is that you have increased your price (against advice)

Last edited:
I'm not going to change the format on that minolta lens. anyway . there is a chance at getting the item at 9.99 .
I've put other stuff for sale bin or best offer. and duration 30days.
a lot cheaper than auction
I received my first offer after 6min. but it was still low. made counter offer, he made another one , a +1 pound, lol. saying that unfortunately that's all he can afford. lol, what a cheeky lying b&stard :D he had hundreds of items for sale and even the camera I had only for twice the money he offered me, well - plus the kit lens which sells for chips. I can understand somebody trying to buy cheap to make profit, but the lying ! grrr !!!

p.s. I don't understand the second chance offers, will look into it.

I wouldn't buy it as it doesn't look like you have put any effort into the listing, No description, no comment on condition, doesn't say if it works or not.

I would skip straight past your listing to another one or wait for another one to be listed. I could be buying a dud lens.

I wouldn't buy it as it doesn't look like you have put any effort into the listing, No description, no comment on condition, doesn't say if it works or not.

I would skip straight past your listing to another one or wait for another one to be listed. I could be buying a dud lens.

thank you for honesty ! :)
I usually put memoires about the item. but not this week :(
will add info in the evening.

just now had a look at the ebay item in question, though personally no interest in it...........

1) There's no useful information in the blurb under the picture............
2) You more or less say the kit lens is better.

Therefore, how about completely rewording the text to make it sound like an attractive interesting lens for sale?

Another top tip is £20 BIN with free postage seems for some reason to works better than £15 BIN + £5 P&P........... good old perception of something for nothing..........

Another top tip is £20 BIN with free postage seems for some reason to works better than £15 BIN + £5 P&P........... good old perception of something for nothing..........

Funnily enough I put the identical items with identical listings up on Ebay recently at £15 + p+p and also at £20 with free p+p - only the £15 ones sold.....

hmm.. so maybe the "free delivery" is outdated. well I certainly smile about it when it's even included in description. I think it only works if the item is on auction with low start.

so -
sold the lens yesterday, but haven't received any payment, sent invoice, still no response. had 2 bidders all of them were using some program as the bid when the auction ended. so maybe they are just sellers looking for cheap stuff ?

regards,
D.

so -
sold the lens yesterday, but haven't received any payment, sent invoice, still no response. had 2 bidders all of them were using some program as the bid when the auction ended. so maybe they are just sellers looking for cheap stuff ?

regards,
D.

How much for....(out of curiousity)

:thinking: You'll have to give them time to pay as not everyone sits on ebay waiting for their bid on an auction to end...
See what happens tomorrow if they haven't paid by the end of the day then send another invoice... You'll have to wait 7 days before you can issue a "non payment" thingy (sorry cant remember the techie term without searching ebay)

for about 15 quid, only 2x 0sec bidders.
plus I have another bulgarian bidder on helios tc, sent him invoice as well . will see what happens. :|

I now feel good about myself for always paying asap, but I'm an oldschool bidder as well. so I really sit down and bid :)

7days - that's the number I was looking for, thanks :)

for about 15 quid, only 2x 0sec bidders.
plus I have another bulgarian bidder on helios tc, sent him invoice as well . will see what happens. :|

I now feel good about myself for always paying asap, but I'm an oldschool bidder as well. so I really sit down and bid :)

7days - that's the number I was looking for, thanks :)

I'm the same... I always pay straight away - if I end up with an invoice then the same with that - as soon as I get it...

But then again we are of the "few & far between's" :LOL:

yeah ! :( wish everybody was like that - decent payers, good looking etc :LOL:

anyway - still nothing,
what about that second chance offer to the next bidder ?

regards,
D.

Raise an unpaid item dispute after 4 days. Only re-list when its been closed.

I've got a non-payer too - I accepted a "Best Offer" and then nothing, completely ignoried the Invoices and it not comminicating. Bloody rude tbh.

I've raise an Unpaid Item dispute...this open Friday but they still didn't do anything - it should close tomorrow I think and I'll get my fees back (but not the listing fee)

got money for the converter. but still nothing for the lens.
sent both of them emails today.

It's ridiculous. do they at least get a neg feedback or something ? or a warning ?

will open dispute wednesday, or maybe will hold till 7days are up. I've read so many bad neg feedbacks left to sellers because the buyer was an a**hole and didn't pay for a week and then tried to claim that the item was broken etc.

Ebay will remove negs left by non-payers. As the process takes a while.. then I would open after 4 days..you wouldn't go into Tesco and say pay a week later..and it shouldn't be any different.

In my experience if you don't get payment within 24 hours - 48 tops - then you won't get it at all. Raise the dispute. You cannot leave negative feedbacks for Buyers. Do not leave any feedback for your buyer (not a "Did not pay" comment) as you can only leave a Positive which means you won't get your Ebay fees back. Leaving a bad buyer a Positive will remove the "Unpaid Item" strike and you'll get the fee credit refused.

Last edited:
no, i'm not going to leave him feedback :) anyway. I'll wait till evening.
what about second chance offer to the bidder who didn't win ?

no, i'm not going to leave him feedback :) anyway. I'll wait till evening.
what about second chance offer to the bidder who didn't win ?

As I said before - don't do anything until the dispute is settled.

If you sell on Second Chance and then the non-payer pays you will have a problem. You need to wait the 8 days for the Unpaid Item Process to close.

Only re-list or Second Chance then.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned in this thread already but look at your title carefully and make sure in contains key words to your items. Make sure you dont make it too obscure i.e. saying iPod in title of a lens as ebay will pull your listing for 'keyword spamming'...you may consider mentioning ......ALPHA DSLR SONY MINOLA LENS CAMERA...these words will make your listing visible to buyers who may not have considered buying this lens.

Also, consider putting something with your item that sets it apart from other similar items i.e. a free polariser/UV/cleaning cloth/blower. I always have stuff hanging around that is not really worth anything, but if I add it to something im trying to sell, its sets it apart from other listings....its not much but its free.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned in this thread already but look at your title carefully and make sure in contains key words to your items. Make sure you dont make it too obscure i.e. saying iPod in title of a lens as ebay will pull your listing for 'keyword spamming'...you may consider mentioning ......ALPHA DSLR SONY MINOLA LENS CAMERA...these words will make your listing visible to buyers who may not have considered buying this lens.

Also, consider putting something with your item that sets it apart from other similar items i.e. a free polariser/UV/cleaning cloth/blower. I always have stuff hanging around that is not really worth anything, but if I add it to something im trying to sell, its sets it apart from other listings....its not much but its free.

thanks !

I have added key words to all my items. vintage collectible to my old cameras and sony alpha etc stuff to newer minolta equipment.

new situation here -

sold a sigma lens in ebay. it was all good, minty etc.

seller gets it, says that there are massive amounts of dust in the lens, shows examples of it.

he doesn't want to deal with RM , the item was sent via RMSD.

could somebody please give an expertise - where the hell did all the dust come from in all of a sudden ?

I'm ****ed !!!! the buyer has now opened a case with ebay. and all he wants is to return the ****** item and get a refund.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang::bang::bang:

did you make a not of the serial number ?

I hope so, that way you can at least verify it IS the same lens should it get returned.

Back