Ebony

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I think I may of posted a photo from this shoot before but not this one in particular lol. This is Ebony, my friends daughter, 13/14yrs old and an aspiring model. She come round for some pics and practice.

I know the PP will not be to everyone's taste but I don't mind it and she obviously loves it, so does her mum. Only thing that bugs me is the shadow on her cheek form the hair.

Hope you like.

Matt

Red Hair Beauty by mattd85, on Flickr

Just have teh hair lights more behind her, and use something else to light the right side. Overall each light seems quite hard.

The background is the biggest problem for me. Looks like it's just a normal room left to go dark through exposure, but it's not black.. far from it, and I can see all the stuff in the room. There's something bright starting to intrude at the top towards the left too.

Lovely image. I like the shadow of her hair on her face (just pretend you did it creatively on purpose;))

Trying to mirror the other side of her face would look terrible.

Thanks all.

@Pookeyhead thanks for advice, this was shot on black background but the room was very small and I got light bleeding onto the backdrop, what you can see is probably my poor attempt at dodging and burning the background on an un calibrated monitor. I literally have to tilt my screen right back to see what you're seeing. I will address this issue.

Shame about the shadows on her face, as your intention was not to have them there... BUT having said, that, if it were to be intentional, I think it looks awesome! Very creative! I think it needs a slight tweaked rotation anti clockwise, and if it were me, I would crop it in a bit closer... I've got an edit if you want to see it...

Just have teh hair lights more behind her, and use something else to light the right side. Overall each light seems quite hard.

The background is the biggest problem for me. Looks like it's just a normal room left to go dark through exposure, but it's not black.. far from it, and I can see all the stuff in the room. There's something bright starting to intrude at the top towards the left too.

Exactly this.

My only crit, as with others, is the shadows being harsh and the nose looks distorted, otherwise a lovely model and portrait

H

Last edited:
In spite of the various improvements people have suggested I think it remains a very good photo.

lovely shot and I like the light spilling through the hair.
However that light has put a highlight on that side of the nose which has thickened it.

I quite like harsh directional light if the models skin can stand it, as I was brought up using spotlights as main lights. It gives a certain clarity to the lighting.
and recalls the Hollywood glamour.

It is the sort of shot that is memorable because so much works so very well.... not for the few minor difficulties that you have to search out.

This is one sharp well lit image. Did you use speedlights? What light modifiers did you use?

Although the shadow does detract, its still a superb shot. Nice work!

Back