Ecuador birding Nov 2023

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Got back a couple of weeks ago from my trip to northern Ecuador. First time birding in South America, saw just over 500 species in 20 days. Happy to answer questions about the trip or the photos further down the thread, I intend to post further pictures every day or so.

Everything taken on OM-1 and 150-400 f4.5 unless otherwise stated.

First few photos of species in the garden of Jimenita Lodge, 15 minutes from Quito airport:

First Hummingbird of the trip (there were many), Sparkling Violetear. Literally dozens of these in the garden. They would stake out a feeder or flower patch and aggressively defend it against all other birds:

Sparkling Violetear 2.jpg

Cinnamon Finch:

Cinnamon Finch.jpg

Grey-browed Brushfinch:

Grey-browed Brushfinch.jpg

:agree: The lighting is usually very difficult in the undergrowth or very harsh in the open. Look forward to seeing more, where did you visit in Ecuador? Many South American birds have unreal colouration! TFS

:agree: The lighting is usually very difficult in the undergrowth or very harsh in the open. Look forward to seeing more, where did you visit in Ecuador? Many South American birds have unreal colouration! TFS

Yes, the lighting is as you say, either not enough or too harsh. Complicated by the fact that the birds are most active around dawn. I took a tripod and was very glad of it.

We started in Quito, couple of days in the mountains to see the high-altitude species, then flew to La Coca for the Amazon basin (Napo river). Worked our way back to Quito over the east slope of the Andes, then five days on the west slope based around the Mindo area. Photos were easier on the west side. The Tanagers apparently don't favour feeders on the east side, as there is usually plenty of ripe fruit available in the wild.

Our first couple of days then were in the Papallacta and Antisana areas which are a short drive outside Quito. Our highest elevation was 4,100m, which is the highest I've been outside an aeroplane. We were wheezing along, the locals were strolling by as they are all acclimatised. There's no snow despite the altitude, as you're pretty much on the equator and there are cattle and horses grazing at this altitude. Quick landscape shot:

Cotopaxi.jpg

The distant peak is Cotopaxi (5,897m) which is steaming away as it's an active volcano, melting its glacier.

Back to the birds, Tufted Tit-Tyrant:

Tufted Tit-Tyrant 2.jpg

Andean Lapwing, in early dawn light:

Andean Lapwing.jpg

Ecuadorean Hillstar:

Ecuadoren Hillstar.jpg

More tomorrow.

Correction, second bird in my first post is Saffron Finch, not Cinnamon. Got my spices mixed up...

Back