Eilean Donan Castle

Name
Len
Edit My Images
Yes
Once again ladies and gentlemen I give you an old favorite of the forum...Eilean Donan Castle :) It is a stunning place though. C&C welcome.

D7K_6739_zps3c41644c.jpg

DSC_4690_zpscaed1780.jpg

Eilean Donan really is a great location. think i prefer number 2 the best and the moody clouds give great atmosphere. Number 1 does a great job of leading your eyes down to the castle but think it may be a little over processed for my liking.
(y)

that's better
out of the romantic pot into the photographic
like the treatment
no1 is better
no2 is a bit of a cliché and too central...whereas no 1 is well composed and has a lot of dynamic
cheers
geof

Last edited:
like num 1 as never seen it from that profile before .
but slight halo around the castle on my monitor nope is it hdr or what did you do

Last edited:
Like both of them, both very nice in different ways. Especially the moody sky.

I think they've both got sharpness issues. It looks like #1 the castle may have been sharp but the processing might have messed it up, the rest of the image nothing is sharp.

keep at it Len
you will come through in the end...these crits overlook your sense of adventure and no fear of making mistakes to learn
cheers
geof

keep at it Len
you will come through in the end...these crits overlook your sense of adventure and no fear of making mistakes to learn
cheers
geof
If no one crits as you say how will he come through in the end....

FWIW my feeling from the images. In the first I find the processing very distracting - it's more than enough for me to react to (quite overdone for my taste), but not enough that I'd think "it's intentional HDR" or something like that. Regardless of composition the brightened shadows and the colour tone that gives to the image I find a bit distracting. For the composition the thing that seems to bother me is the bottom bit of path/wall, which sort of cuts off "my" path to the castle? It feels like blocking my view rather than leading me in? Same with the bit of land on the left of the wall, it feels isolated from the rest of the image.

Second image is the one I prefer - the development is a bit lighter touch. I'd (personally) be tempted to take a bit of the dark islands off the bottom, and a bit of the very dark sky off the top, make it more panoramic with less of the very dark areas, but others will disagree. That may also remove the little bit of bright water in the bottom right that drags the eye there.

The second image is the one for me. The above is not "criticism", just "critique" and all based only on my opinion and what I like. There's no (or very little) right and wrong in photography, it's just experimenting and finding the style you personally love :)

The crit is all part of the learning curve for me. Thanks to everyone who took time to pass comment on my post.

Back